Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a hell of a lot of money.

Not sure that he's worth it. Still, as long as we have enough left for a centre-half and another midfielder, bring it on.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,956
    Forum Member
    That's a hell of a lot of money.

Not sure that he's worth it. Still, as long as we have enough left for a centre-half and another midfielder, bring it on.

I agree, i don't think he is worth £47.7 Million, if true i think we could of spent the money more wisely but he is still one hell of a player who will improve us. It also looks like the Vermalen deal is getting closer too as he says he doesn't know if he will be at Arsenal next season and a second bid close to the £12 Million Arsenal want is set to be submitted, suppose we will have to wait and see.
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a little after the Lord Mayor's horse bolted, but we got Herrera and Shaw! :D

It's always nice to see us sign some players while I'm away on holiday! Combined with a very high-profile demonstration of van Gaal's bottle, I can't wait for the new season, which is saying something because usually in a World Cup year I'm pretty jaded from football at this point!
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Di Maria would need a few nights on the town with Ando for some pies to bulk up a bit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't fancy di Maria. Maybe I've just not seen him play often enough, but he looks to be from the Nani school of one brilliant moment followed by nine terrible moments.

In the form of Ashley Young we've already got more than enough graduates from that school.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gazetta Dello Sport are claiming that 'United officials' are in talks with Vidal's agent, in order to agree personal terms.

Sod Di Maria, this is the one that we really want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some Ronaldo quotes:

"Yes I really miss English football.

"For me it was one of the best years in my career when I was there at Manchester United. Everyone knows that.

"It is the club that is still in my heart. I really miss (the club).

"But now my life is in Spain. I'm enjoying playing there too. Part of my life is there. The future we never know.

"I'm really, really happy in the Spanish league at the moment."

Ah, Ron. Just think, if you'd have stayed then you too could have experienced the 'wonder' of Moyes.

A deep regret for him, I'm sure.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Ronaldo quotes:

"Yes I really miss English football.

"For me it was one of the best years in my career when I was there at Manchester United. Everyone knows that.

"It is the club that is still in my heart. I really miss (the club).

"But now my life is in Spain. I'm enjoying playing there too. Part of my life is there. The future we never know.

"I'm really, really happy in the Spanish league at the moment."

Ah, Ron. Just think, if you'd have stayed then you too could have experienced the 'wonder' of Moyes.

A deep regret for him, I'm sure.

Don't forget playing with Tom Cleverley, what more could a man want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronaldo's like a broken down record. Or maybe the press are.

I do sometimes wonder where we'd be now if Ronaldo had never left. An unprecedented four titles in a row surely, and considering we made two Champions League Finals without him I guess it's not daft to think we may have won at least one more before Fergie packed it in. Plus we'd have him and Rooney battling it out head-to-head to be United's all time top scorer.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Ronaldo was still around for the 2009 final.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,485
    Forum Member
    If what I read is true and Van Gaal has us playing 3-4-3 what will Rooney's role be?

He's not that rigid, seems that he prefers 3-4-3 but he often switches it during games to suit what's happening and for subs. If he starts like that I would see RVP, Rooney and Mata up front and switching as per instructions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Ronaldo was still around for the 2009 final.

So he was. In which case he's not good enough. :p
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

Oh well Adidas will pay the money, so long nike:)

Nike hated since destroying Umbro
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    He's not that rigid, seems that he prefers 3-4-3 but he often switches it during games to suit what's happening and for subs. If he starts like that I would see RVP, Rooney and Mata up front and switching as per instructions.

van gaal doesn't prefer 3-4-3, he has used 3-5-2, 3-4-3 with holland to stiffen up the defence because they lack quality there, he has always said he prefers 4-3-3. we don't really have the players to implement van gaal's preferred strategy, you need inside forwards in a 4-3-3 that have pace and can cut in and score goals, all our wide men are old school hug the line wingers, so i am not sure what to expect from van gaal by way of tactics.

our squad is a mish mash of players of different types that don't really fit together, on the one hand we have number 10's like mata, kagawa, januzaj, fellaini. then we have old school hug the line wingers young, valencia, nani, zaha, then we have 4 strikers who all want to play up top. van gaal will have to sell some of that lot and bring in his own players to implement a clear strategy, i don't think it can all be done in one window tho. it may be a year down the line before van gaal can really start to implement his preferred tactics once he has toggled the squad to his requirements.

i don't expect to see 3-4-3, 3-5-2 at united very often, it doesn't solve the problem of fitting mata, rooney and van persie into the line-up, and puts more heavy demands on our centre mids who aside from herrera can barely cope with 4-4-2 let alone a 3-4-3.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All these numbers flying about.

It's almost as if Uncle Malcom was sitting on the funds :eek: :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    van gaal doesn't prefer 3-4-3, he has used 3-5-2, 3-4-3 with holland to stiffen up the defence because they lack quality there, he has always said he prefers 4-3-3. we don't really have the players to implement van gaal's preferred strategy, you need inside forwards in a 4-3-3 that have pace and can cut in and score goals, all our wide men are old school hug the line wingers, so i am not sure what to expect from van gaal by way of tactics.

our squad is a mish mash of players of different types that don't really fit together, on the one hand we have number 10's like mata, kagawa, januzaj, fellaini. then we have old school hug the line wingers young, valencia, nani, zaha, then we have 4 strikers who all want to play up top. van gaal will have to sell some of that lot and bring in his own players to implement a clear strategy, i don't think it can all be done in one window tho. it may be a year down the line before van gaal can really start to implement his preferred tactics once he has toggled the squad to his requirements.

i don't expect to see 3-4-3, 3-5-2 at united very often, it doesn't solve the problem of fitting mata, rooney and van persie into the line-up, and puts more heavy demands on our centre mids who aside from herrera can barely cope with 4-4-2 let alone a 3-4-3.

Are you ever happy, I never see a happy or upbeat post from you, you always seem so angry and despondent.

Not a critisisam of you just an observation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    All these numbers flying about.

It's almost as if Uncle Malcom was sitting on the funds :eek: :D

I had a rainbow outside my window today, its been tipping down and sunny, must have been a pot of gold at the end of it. :)
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28220281 confirmed. Financial Times say Adidas will pay £75m pa over 10 years, which would be preposterous.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,485
    Forum Member

IMO 3-4-3 would suit Rooney, RVP and Mata very well.
    I'm sure we will be signing as least one more CM before the season starts as well
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28220281 confirmed. Financial Times say Adidas will pay £75m pa over 10 years, which would be preposterous.

Wonder how they'll recoup the losses. More expensive shirts?

The latest shirt prices at £50 are nothing short of shocking.

But Adidas is definitely the way forward. 10 years of beautiful looking kits.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well one of the things Van Gaal has been praised for with this Dutch squad is adapting the tactics to get the best out of what he's got at his disposal. No reason why he can't do that at United. I agree that it might take him some time to get everything as he wants it in order to implement his preferred style, but in the meantime I'm not too concerned, as whatever he does next season will almost certainly be an improvement on what's gone previously.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member

Valencia is the only one of those listed that is an 'old school hug the line winger'. Neither Nani or Young are really that, they've just been forced into playing a style like that at times due to our own tactics and system. Not sure where you got the idea that Nani is some classic hug the line winger. Zaha isn't either. For the record, that's not defending any of those players performance wise, but you've completely described them wrong, which isn't really a surprise.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How I'd love toni Croos at united
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
This discussion has been closed.