Options

Steph McGovern - BBC news

Comments

• Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching Steph this morning, she sounds too common even for regional news.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Good morning. This is Radio 4 & I have a regional accent! '

From a Mock The Week 'Scenes We'd Like To See' featuring Lauren Laverne!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Why is it acceptable to have Scottish, Welsh and NI accents but a NE accent is common?

Do they only employ posh presenters from other regions?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    So the Middlesborough accent is common is it?

This piece appeared in the Guardian last year:
    Intellectual snobbery about regional accents must surely be in decline

BBC reporter Steph McGovern is a hero for showing up the institutional classism of her employer

As beauty is in the eye of its beholder, intelligence is in the ear of the listener. Or, in the case of the BBC manager who told business reporter Steph McGovern that he didn't realise "people like you" – ie with regional accents – "were clever", stupidity is in the ear of the stupid. McGovern writes in next week's Radio Times that her soft Middlesbrough accent attracts adverse comment from viewers who believe that anyone betraying signs of having once been working class should not be nicking jobs from the middle class.

For those who know what it's like to open your mouth and see the person opposite dock your IQ by 40 points, only for them to raise a gratified – sometimes visibly amazed – eyebrow once you've successfully completed a sentence, McGovern is a hero for breaking ranks. She's shown up her own employer for its institutional classism, and its viewers for swallowing whole the idea that the only acceptable public voice is that which matches the uniform drone of the professional elite.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/17/regional-accents-steph-mcgovern-snobbery-decline

A regional accent does not equate to being common, nor does it equate to being ignorant.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/17/regional-accents-steph-mcgovern-snobbery-decline

A regional accent does not equate to being common, nor does it equate to being ignorant.

Sorry Mossy but us common, Boro people of a certain age get irritated by the Middlesborough spelling, it's Middlesbrough (yes it's trivial but ..)

I think Spitting Image could create a good puppet of Steph :o
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another incomprehensible Geordie
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Another incomprehensible Geordie
    You're not even trying
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conceptas wrote: »
    Sorry Mossy but us common, Boro people of a certain age get irritated by the Middlesborough spelling, it's Middlesbrough (yes it's trivial but ..)

I think Spitting Image could create a good puppet of Steph :o
    Sorry.:blush:
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Not sure about her dress sense this morning. Looked as if she was off to do the early shift at a burger bar.
  • Options
    MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How Tall Is Steph Anyone Know ?
    I looked for info, on that & al I found was a rather complementary bio of her stating that her height is not stated anywhere
    "Stephanie has a sexy tall hourglass shaped body structure but her actual height in feet is not disclosed. The way she flaunts her hot, long and slender legs, sometimes wrapped in stockings, are very eye catchy and attractive. She has got a killer looks in her professional attire. McGovern has a big sexy boobs, defined curvy waist and wide hips. Her presenting style is so excellent and fluent that can easily attract million viewers. Her pictures are also widely available in internet sites." -
    See more at: http://unapix.com/biographies/steph-mcgovern-biography.html#sthash.0OOKw1NO.dpuf
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whaaaaat??????
    Surely you are not serious?:o
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked for info, on that & al I found was a rather complementary bio of her stating that her height is not stated anywhere
    "Stephanie has a sexy tall hourglass shaped body structure but her actual height in feet is not disclosed. The way she flaunts her hot, long and slender legs, sometimes wrapped in stockings, are very eye catchy and attractive. She has got a killer looks in her professional attire. McGovern has a big sexy boobs, defined curvy waist and wide hips. Her presenting style is so excellent and fluent that can easily attract million viewers. Her pictures are also widely available in internet sites." -
    See more at: http://unapix.com/biographies/steph-mcgovern-biography.html#sthash.0OOKw1NO.dpuf

Makes her sound like she's auditioning for Cameron's Cabinet.;-)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Makes her sound like she's auditioning for Cameron's Cabinet.;-)

Makes it sound like it was written by....er....Steph McGovern.Is it my imagination or have her appearances been reduced from four to three mornings a week ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Makes it sound like it was written by....er....Steph McGovern
    To me, on first reading, a young, male Steph McGovern fan who has a thing for her
  • Options
    longpiggylongpiggy Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Be gone mi varlet! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have seen a lot of regional news and the "Real" news like you. I am also a ****. Oh she sounds fine! there you go...:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good point, well made.

Unless a Brummie, just is, unfortunately!!!:blush:
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like her accent, but her looks are bottom of the queue, dam ugly, she is.and a flat arse like rachel Riley.not good.

Hang on...Rachel Riley's got an amazing arse. It's not remotely flat. I've never read anything so absurd in all my life.

As regards Steph McGovern - she's got a nice figure but I wouldn't get too excited about her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Why is it acceptable to have Scottish, Welsh and NI accents but a NE accent is common?

Do they only employ posh presenters from other regions?

I'm Scottish and I melt at a NE accent. See the thing that Scotland is voting for? Its liberation esp form Westminster/London elite. It screws you (BBC and all else more than even we have). Last serious TV in the NE Byker Grove? Long term?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    testcard wrote: »
    Not sure about her dress sense this morning. Looked as if she was off to do the early shift at a burger bar.

I(f that is the tight trousers...mmmmmthat arse, sorry, that ARSE. She is fantastic, not one apology.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's 5 foot six - seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, on first reading, a young, male Steph McGovern fan who has a thing for her

Almost perfeco apart from one thing...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    'Good morning. This is Radio 4 & I have a regional accent! '

From a Mock The Week 'Scenes We'd Like To See' featuring Lauren Laverne!

So a woman from the NE sounds like another woman of similar age from the NE. Blinding comparison there mate BOOM...:o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, in your deleted, in another World. I can see your point

Not mine? haha, not ever yeah ok...I kinda think I would like her to be my point, oh well, forever.

http://www.nea2fguide.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/steph.jpeg
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's happened to Charlie Stayt, he only seems to be on Thursdays and Fridays now, he used to be on four days a week. New contract perhaps ?