Anyone noticed Tesco getting very expensive?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
for their buying power, their prices are becoming very expensive, close to Sainsburys prices yet don't have the same quality.

for example I noticed the everyday value grapes rise from £1 to £1.75 :eek::confused:

Comments

• HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As sad as this sounds... Yes i actually have.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    very much so. I used to buy the water biscuits which have doubled in price in the last year or so.

and many other products double in price, sausagemeat and the mini sausages I used to buy went up 50% in December.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsburys is ridiculous! their tins of curry/bolognese were £1.39 a few weeks ago now theyre £1.59 !
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but it's not just Tesco.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    with any luck and now especially with this horse meat scandal,folks will be buying local especially with meat from now on,was in my local butchers yesterday and it was packed!!! he said the best weekend hes had for 4 years!!! long may it continue!!!!!!
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much a joke charging near sainsbury prices when their produce isn't anywhere near the quality of sainsburys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Yes, I've definitely noticed a significant rise in my shopping bill over the last few months. I was there today for my 'big shop' and it was £107 - it's usually around £70/£80 I didn't buy anything out the ordinary either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes and its the main reason I don't shop there. too expensive
    Believe it or not I get better bargains in Waitrose sometimes... Morrison's is cheap too.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,547
    Forum Member
    I stopped shopping there a long time ago. I now use the Co-Op, Asda or local stores.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tru iceland then op
  • toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! I'm glad it's not just me

Most of the things I buy have gone up from 30p to 80p...it's ridiculous! My weekly shop has gone from £42(ish) to £55

no doubt next week Tesco will reduce these items by between 30 to 80p and call it a special offer

Also something that sold for £1.89 for months and months is now on special for 2 for £6

Next week i'm going back to Sainsburys to see if they're any better, slightly out of my way but can't hurt to try

Failing that, the week after i'll try Asda and see what they're like.

I buy most of my fruit and veg at Aldi as it is now, Pink Lady Apples for instance in 6 months at Tesco have gone from £2.20 to £2.95, in Aldi, they've gone from £1.99 to £1.89, same aount but bigger than Tesco

I seriously hope that in the wake of the horsemeat scandal, that people go flocking back to local butchers and there's a resurgence in that area, it may be more expensive, but it's more personal, and there's more trust there

Myself I only eat fish and seafood and I buy this at the chinese supermarket for 1/3 of the price of Tesco

I spoke to my friends about it, and for Tesco it's all about money, paying the bare minimum and screwing their suppliers, farmers about

I hope it comes back to bite them because i'll never shop in Tesco again, even if it means having to get some things from Aldi, then going out of my way slightly to go to Sainsburys/Morrisons/Asda for the rest of my bits
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notice how slices of ham and cheese have all got thinner in the last year? They'll use the tired old excuse that customers want to pay less so they reduce quantity but yet the prices go up and content goes down.
    If I didnt know better, I'd say they're a bunch of money making bastards :p
  • MillysMommaMillysMomma Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I have, the coffee I was buying has gone up by over a pound in the last couple of weeks and it wasn't on offer before.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    That's the idea of Tesco or any large supermarket (but, in fairness, Tesco has more of a reputation for doing this.). Buy lots of land to build lots of supermarkets which put independents out of business, Then hike up the prices. I don't shop there. I usually use Sainsburys in my lunch break but am quite excited (sad, eh?) that a Morrisons is opening soon so I will try that to see if it's any better.

I often shopping between 7pm-8pm to see what's at the reduced counter. I don't eat meat, fish, cheese or eggs so veg and Quorn are what I want.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Yes our bill has gone up from £80 max to over £90.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep noticed as well, just recently things like Spam was £1 now its £1.69, soup was 5 tins for £3 and has jumped to 6 tins for £5, cat food pouches went from £3 for a normal price, to £3.50 and marked as special offer and there's many other examples as well as things getting smaller and its very noticable when you're on a tight budget, unfortunately I have little option but use Tesco as I'm housebound and the only other alternatives that deliver here are sainsbury and waitrose:(
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    No, but then it's because I decided more than a few years ago that you pay for what you get and I personally would not condone the practices they were obviously using to still make profit for the prices they were charging.
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped shopping in Tesco a while ago. Sainbury is getting dearer too, some things have gone up in leaps rather than by pennies. I'm an Asda shopper now.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    That's the idea of Tesco or any large supermarket (but, in fairness, Tesco has more of a reputation for doing this.). Buy lots of land to build lots of supermarkets which put independents out of business, Then hike up the prices. I don't shop there. I usually use Sainsburys in my lunch break but am quite excited (sad, eh?) that a Morrisons is opening soon so I will try that to see if it's any better.

I often shopping between 7pm-8pm to see what's at the reduced counter. I don't eat meat, fish, cheese or eggs so veg and Quorn are what I want.

Putting the independents out of business isn't just beneficial because of the lack of competition. It also means Tesco becomes of the only customer of many of the local suppliers, allowing them to effectively tell the supplier - Sell it to us for much cheaper, or we'll go elsewhere. When you're only customer says that, you don't have much choice!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Yes, but it's not just Tesco.

I agree, all supermarket prices are increasing.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will always remember a few months back they ripped me off. I wanted the main course,side and desert deal for £6,they did not have any dessert so instead of charging me the £6 they charged £7.50 just for the main and side! the correct thing would be to have honored the deal as it wasn't my fault they were all out of desserts . I hate Tesco since then,Iceland all the way.
  • BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for Asda and have had Tesco employees (in their uniforms) come to the till and say its cheaper to shop in Asda even though they get discount at Tesco...
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Sainsburys has put the prices up on so many things it is getting ridiculous.