Only Connect Special 17.03.14 20:30h

lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There is an Only Connect Special next Monday.
QUIZ SHOW: Only Connect Special: Sport Relief
On: BBC 4 (Freeview)
Date: Monday 17th March 2014 (starting in 6 days)
Time: 20:30 to 21:00 (30 minutes long)

Scribblers v Terriers.
Victoria Coren Mitchell hosts a very special celebrity edition of the quiz where knowledge will only take you so far, and patience and lateral thinking are also vital. Two teams of clever celebrities prepare to lose their dignity in honour of Sport Relief as the Scribblers 'Alice Arnold, Charlie Brooker and Ed Smith' take on the Terriers (Clare Balding, Val McDermid and Joshua Levine). So join Victoria if you want to know what connects: Howard's End, Veterans' Day, Caesar's Palace and Every dog has its day.
(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

Comments

• Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just noticed this in my TV listings guide, and wondered who was taking part. Thanks for posting the info.

Hooray, something decent on TV to look forward to. :)
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that a repeat? I seem to remember Alice Arnold and Clare Balding being opposite each other?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Is that a repeat? I seem to remember Alice Arnold and Clare Balding being opposite each other?

They would normally mention is it was a repeat, Victoria Coren Tweeted about and again she did write anything like 'another chance to see ...'.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    They would normally mention is it was a repeat, Victoria Coren Tweeted about and again she did write anything like 'another chance to see ...'.
    It's a new show apparently, but for some reason they've got the same captains as last time. I can't think of a reason why they shouldn't do that, although to be honest they didn't seem to do anything unusually entertaining last time...
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member

It might be that they just filmed the two episodes back-to-back and therefore it was easier and more cost-effective to keep the same people.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member

They have, but Clare's team-mates were Clive Anderson and Simon Jenkins, as the "Balding Team".
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    It's a new show apparently, but for some reason they've got the same captains as last time. I can't think of a reason why they shouldn't do that, although to be honest they didn't seem to do anything unusually entertaining last time...

At there is a good chance they will understand the format and rules, wasn't there one special where one team did not seem to have watched the programme before?
  • davidboddavidbod Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    It might be that they just filmed the two episodes back-to-back and therefore it was easier and more cost-effective to keep the same people.

We've always had the same captains for both Sport Relief and CiN, if memory serves.

It's the very last show featuring 'my' questions so hope you enjoy it, and good luck to my successor...
  • marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear David. I hope your successor is as entertaining a question setter as you have been, thanks & good luck with your next project.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In the words of Richard Herring "lazy, lazy lesbians."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidbod wrote: »
    We've always had the same captains for both Sport Relief and CiN, if memory serves.

It's the very last show featuring 'my' questions so hope you enjoy it, and good luck to my successor...

In the words of the bloke at the end of Blade Runner "You've done a man's job sir"
    But seriously, thanks and well done. It's been brilliant.
    I hope the new questioneer is of the same quality, and we won't get "What's fourth in this sequence "4 Calling Birds - 3 French Hens - 2 turtle Doves?"
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidbod wrote: »

Thanks for keeping us on our toes in a super programme and best wishes for the future
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An enjoyable edition if only for the addition of Charlie Brooker to the quiz. His cheery, "we're all going to die" setting the tone for the show. My favourite writer does look permanently knackered or, in short, like a real human being in the sanitized, appearance fetishistic medium of tv.

Even though I didn't know the Pac-Man answer I guessed it was a videogame reference and he would get it. I pretty stumped by a lot of the rest before the walls but then I am not too clever.

Was the errant apostrophe question a present for Victoria's hubby?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crap. Forgot about it. Off it iPlayer I go.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was easy tonight i even got sic transit loria mundi but i may just be on a roll I did well in uni challenge too
  • GRCGRC Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    At there is a good chance they will understand the format and rules, wasn't there one special where one team did not seem to have watched the programme before?

Yes, the Eggheads appeared on it, and their smart-*rse of a captain screwed up in this manner... Oh, how we laughed.
  • GRCGRC Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Crap. Forgot about it. Off it iPlayer I go.

Repeated at 12.20am - set the recorder
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GRC wrote: »
    Repeated at 12.20am - set the recorder

Didn't need to wait that long. Just finished it on iPlayer.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Alice Arnold is getting a lot of exposure on BBC TV as she did the newspaper review on BBC News on Friday night. The BBC looks after its (past) own...
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and charlie brooker's mystique is subtly BLOWN AWAY by victoria :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alice Arnold really does have a voice like liquid silk. Even reading a shopping list over the phone must be a turn on for Claire.
  • katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder which one of them wears the trousers :)
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Alice Arnold really does have a voice like liquid silk.

The voice is fine, but judging on her two appearances she's not much good at Only Connect. Val was the star yesterday.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed at the lack of Coren cleavage. How does she decide which weeks to air the twins and which to keep them covered? We need to know!
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Disappointed at the lack of Coren cleavage. How does she decide which weeks to air the twins and which to keep them covered? We need to know!

First time I've ever agreed with you, Straker (just kidding) ;-)