Options

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

Comments

• Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Huge divergence of opinions between the critics and the public not surprisingly : the critics are slating it en masse but loads of people on Twitter this evening saying they loved it and that they laughed out loud throughout.

The only clip shown when it was promoted on the One show was the trailer.
    Sometimes that happens when a film is terrible.
    I was a fan at the beginning, but the TV show is becoming very stale. The live show DVD's are no great shakes, suppose you had to be there.

Mrs Brown has become an iconic character very quickly to some, that they will accept any old crap.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbax wrote: »
    I think that's a pretty stuck up way to look at it tbh.

It's just silly, doesn't take itself seriously in any way comedy. It's cheesy and sometimes predictable humour adds to its charm. If you approach it without over thinking it you'll definetly have a few laughs.

I'm working class myself but I'm merely pointing out that it appears to transcend all classes and age groups.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    As they said, no press screenings, no reviews. It's never a good sign when a film is not shown in advance to reviewers, as the majority of the time the film is considered a stinker by the studio/producers behind it.

It depends how you define a "stinker". If it's a movie that's savaged by the film critics, then it's that with bells on. If it's one that does really well at the box office, it can't really be that (unless you want to call it a very popular stinker).
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie: Review round up

"You sense O'Carroll has diluted his own show's essence for wider multiplex consumption: while the sitcom could be broad, it was often clever with it, and never this bland."

"This isn't funny. It isn't even unfunny. It's something close to anti-funny."

"Old-fashioned? Undoubtedly. Crude? Definitely. Funny? Well, we know what the critics with their box sets of Curb Your Enthusiasm will say."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a580994/mrs-browns-boys-dmovie-review-round-up.html#~oIv2rLZHaXlUpe
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister saw it last night and said it was hilarious and the packed cinema were laughing the whole way through. Of course critics are gonna maul it because it's someone in drag and his family swearing for 90 minutes. So what? Not every film has to be Gone With The Wind! < rolleyes >
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Facebook friend of mine saw it last night and he said he'd rather drink a cup of his own sick than watch it again lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    My sister saw it last night and said it was hilarious and the packed cinema were laughing the whole way through. Of course critics are gonna maul it because it's someone in drag and his family swearing for 90 minutes. So what? Not every film has to be Gone With The Wind! < rolleyes >

I notice a lot (or nearly all) the reviews are describing the film as "unfunny" but that's a very risky word to use when you bear in mind how subjective humour is.

I assume the critics' definition of hilarious is a film that is "intelligent", "sophisticated", "ironic", "groundbreaking" etc......it seems they just don't do old fashioned slapstick.
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a MASSIVE fan of the TV series, however after seeing the film last night i was left feeling very dissapointed. The film almost isn't silly enough, it's quite dour in places. There's no sexual innuendo's, no classic insults, infact very little to laugh at at all. It's not even that the jokes fall flat, there is just a complete lack of jokes. It feels like Brenden was trying to please critics, and has just alienated fans in the process
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    smile371 wrote: »
    I'm a MASSIVE fan of the TV series, however after seeing the film last night i was left feeling very dissapointed. The film almost isn't silly enough, it's quite dour in places. There's no sexual innuendo's, no classic insults, infact very little to laugh at at all. It's not even that the jokes fall flat, there is just a complete lack of jokes. It feels like Brenden was trying to please critics, and has just alienated fans in the process

I have just come back from seeing this - and while there were some laughs in places the plot seemed a little ridiculous. The chase scene at the end also seemed to go on forever. Also the blind ninja sub plot didn't seem to add much at all and was in poor taste - as Buster didn't need them to be funny.

It just needed a bit more warmth in places - such as when mother and daughter bonded near the end - and less of the chase. .

Still enjoyed it - but it wasn't as good as the tv series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I have just come back from seeing this - and while there were some laughs in places the plot seemed a little ridiculous. The chase scene at the end also seemed to go on forever. Also the blind ninja sub plot didn't seem to add much at all and was in poor taste - as Buster didn't need them to be funny.

It just needed a bit more warmth in places - such as when mother and daughter bonded near the end - and less of the chase. .

Still enjoyed it - but it wasn't as good as the tv series.

It was always going to be difficult to take the action away from Mrs Brown's sitting room and to sustain the pace, especially with no laughter soundtrack....the show is as a TV sitcom after all, and not a film comedy. So in a way I'm not surprised the movie may not hold up in comparison to the frenetic pace and non stop gags of a 30 minute episode.

I remember the nearest thing Only Fools And Horses did to a movie was a special set in Miami and without any laughter soundtrack. In such an unfamiliar setting and format, it just wasn't as funny as the normal episodes.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Facebook friend of mine saw it last night and he said he'd rather drink a cup of his own sick than watch it again lol

lol that bad?
    Kermode wasn't so keen either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3voJg468ew
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I notice a lot (or nearly all) the reviews are describing the film as "unfunny" but that's a very risky word to use when you bear in mind how subjective humour is.

I assume the critics' definition of hilarious is a film that is "intelligent", "sophisticated", "ironic", "groundbreaking" etc......it seems they just don't do old fashioned slapstick.

As the Guardian's critic said, humour may be subjective but I don't think it has ever been quite as subjective as this. O'Carroll narrowing his eyes to imitate an oriental man, making karate-chopping motions and confusing his ls and rs? Jeremy Clarkson would be fired for doing the same thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the Guardian's critic said, humour may be subjective but I don't think it has ever been quite as subjective as this. O'Carroll narrowing his eyes to imitate an oriental man, making karate-chopping motions and confusing his ls and rs? Jeremy Clarkson would be fired for doing the same thing.

Certainly, but most of the critics can't stand the TV series in any shape or form, so even if that scene was left out, they still wouldn't like the movie or describe it as funny.
  • Options
    TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV show gets such high ratings but I've never met anyone who actually watches this abomination of a TV show? I work in a diverse office young and old mixture of different classes but have never heard anyone talk about it :confused:

Is it an Irish/Scottish thing?

Needless to say I'd rather sandpaper my testicles than go and watch this rubbish.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV show gets such high ratings but I've never met anyone who actually watches this abomination of a TV show? I work in a diverse office young and old mixture of different classes but have never heard anyone talk about it :confused:

Needless to say I'd rather sandpaper my testicles than go and watch this rubbish.

Some people don't want to admit they watch it...:D Plenty do though. I don't think it's the best thing ever but I will watch it if it's on. I always support traditional sitcom. I was stunned by the first episode of series 1, it felt really refreshing! To me, it's hardly reached those highs since, but it's not rubbish by any means.

The movie may be a mistake though... Alan Partridge didn't just jump from studio sitcom to movie, that's always been much more than a straight comedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people don't want to admit they watch it...:D Plenty do though. I don't think it's the best thing ever but I will watch it if it's on. I always support traditional sitcom. I was stunned by the first episode of series 1, it felt really refreshing! To me, it's hardly reached those highs since, but it's not rubbish by any means.

The movie may be a mistake though... Alan Partridge didn't just jump from studio sitcom to movie, that's always been much more than a straight comedy.

I must admit I don't really see the need for a movie or what it adds to the Mrs Brown franchise, but it appears to have been a pet project in Brendan's mind. I think too he could have held off the movie for a couple of years at least.....it's only three years since MBB appeared on TV for the first time.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Maybe you move in the wrong circles!

It was the highest rated show on Christmas day - beating Eastenders, Corrie, Dr Who, Strictly, Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife. Perhaps - as has been said - people just aren't being entirely honest with you.

People aren't supposed to like it cos the critics (especially the Guardian) hate it - but they do. Its a bit old fashioned - but its funny, is very family centric and ultimately very warm at its core.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MBB D'Movie has already taken in £4.6m in the UK this weekend. We can safely say it is a success.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it on Friday and the whole audience was in stitches, I'm assuming it was made up of all races, ages and social groups and appealed to them all. Go on you know you want to see it!
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    lol that bad?
    Kermode wasn't so keen either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3voJg468ew
    That review is fantastic . Love mark kermode lol. Good to see Simon Mayo slated the movie it's normally kermode who does that lol
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MBB D'Movie has already taken in £4.6m in the UK this weekend. We can safely say it is a success.

How much did it cost to make?
    Saw it on Friday and the whole audience was in stitches, I'm assuming it was made up of all races, ages and social groups and appealed to them all. Go on you know you want to see it!

Why do you assume that? Can understand that you can judge the races and ages of people in the audience, but social groups :confused:

Know for definite that I don't want to see it. Have seen the TV show and absolutely hate it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much did it cost to make?

£3.6m, so it has already made £1m profit in the UK alone
  • Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    We saw the movie today- we love the tv show- The film itself was very funny in parts but not as funny as the tv show we thought - but we agreed there were worse ways to spend a sunday afternoon- overall it was very enjoyable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yera wrote: »
    We saw the movie today- we love the tv show- The film itself was very funny in parts but not as funny as the tv show we thought - but we agreed there were worse ways to spend a sunday afternoon- overall it was very enjoyable

It's quite difficult to sustain the pace of a comedy like this over 90 minutes. I bet even a 90 minute episode of the TV sitcom would be flagging in places, and that would be with the benefit of a live studio audience laughing in all the right places.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite difficult to sustain the pace of a comedy like this over 90 minutes. I bet even a 90 minute episode of the TV sitcom would be flagging in places, and that would be with the benefit of a live studio audience laughing in all the right places.

Laughing in all the right places :confused: Does the audience need this to let them know which bits they should find funny?