Options

Wa****s....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw this article today. It's happened to me, has it happened to any other FMs? How did you feel? Did you report it? Did anyone help?

My experience was outside a busy post office. A guy sitting in his car called me as I walked past and opened his door to show me he was masturbating. Personally I just thought he was a bit pathetic and gave him a dirty look and carried on with my day. I didn't report it. I wasn't frightened, although I do accept that it could be frightening for some women.

I'm curious to know if it is as common as the article says it is.

"When I was 13, a man sitting across from me on a crowded train took his penis out and fondled it. No one did anything."

There are some experiences that sound so extreme, so shocking, that there is a general consensus they must be very rare indeed. People would like to assume, understandably, that this story is a horrifying anomaly. But when I retweeted one woman's experience of being masturbated at this morning, the response was overwhelming.

A deluge of replies flooded in from women who had experienced the same thing. From grandmothers to girls who were six when it first happened, their reports came from London, Sydney, Frankfurt, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, Brussels, Las Vegas, New York, San Francisco, Canada, Mexico, Ireland, Ukraine, Peru, and even Vatican City.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/jun/26/women-being-masturbated-at-in-public

Comments

• Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This phenomenon deserves more widespread exposure.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's good they used that accompanying image to show how seriously they take the subject.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I've been flashed at, but didn't realise until after I'd walked past him. It suddenly struck me that the wizened carrot he was jiggling about was actually his penis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    This phenomenon deserves more widespread exposure.

absolutely. It happened to me at a very young age and it was incredibly harrowing. Sadly these stories are often just laughed at or ignored. The dirty old man being widely accepted as part of society.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    There was some mental old bloke running down my high street when I was about 5 playing with himself and I just pointed and laughed as me mum dragged me out of the way. Now days I think its disgusting, wanking is to be done at home not in front of people out in the open and it frightens women too.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all the CCTV that has popped up in the past few decades, how the f**k are these men not being caught? It is indecent exposure and lude behaviour after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yea I had this when playing truant at 13. me and a friend was down the woods when a man asked if we had seen a lady wearing a red coat walking a white dog, if we saw her to tell her to meet him at the bridge. We said ok thinking nothing of it. 10 mins later we got up to leave and the dirty f**ker was wanking behind a tree watching us.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't give a toss...

...at least not in public :D
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw one bloke when I was on a bus, and he was happily hand-shandying away on the street in broad daylight. There was another in a tube station and when I reported it to the guy at the gates, I couldn't find polite words so faltered as I was trying to describe what was going on beyond the state of this young lad's open trousers. Gate Guy supplied the phrase "misbehaving himself" and I nodded. Neither bloke was targeting anyone, oddly enough.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my friend's bus home from school when I was about 14 there was a boy about 17/18 who used to have a hole in his pocket and would pull his willy through it and just leave it hanging out. I never believed her so got the bus with her one day and sure enough. I wasn't traumatised I found it hilarious at the time but thinking about it now its sick and worrying. I actually forgot all about until this thread.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A story I've posted before:

One night, years ago, I was walking my Irish Wolfhound (and he was BIG, even for a wolfhound) when a guy at the bottom of the road we were on started to fiddle with himself, flies open.

I was really annoyed, and, not wanting him to think this was in any way ok, I walked straight up to him with my dog - who promptly stuck his considerably-sized muzzle right where he shouldn't (sorry to say this, but it must have been nice and smelly, at least to a dog).

I think the guy got the shock of his life! He backed off, hastily doing up his flies and scarpered.

I thought it was quite a good result, all round
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly it does seem quite widespread, though I suspect very few men do it, its just they do it a lot! I suppose its some sort of power thing, which I worry could lead onto nastier stuff so it would be good if all instances were reported.

I'm not sure what to make of that "casual sexism" website - some of the stuff is deeply shocking, whilst other posts are so silly and trivial that they seem to be insulting the truly bad ones.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine came up with a great response to a guy who was five-finger shuffling in front of her in a car park.

She looked over her glasses at him and simply said "If mine was THAT small, I wouldn't want anyone to see it", got in her car and drove off.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it;s an entry level (sorry) sex offence, probably, like stealing knickers off washing lines. That blokes that do stuff like that or voyeurism probably, over time, might become sex offenders.

I'd find it scary. Has never happened to me although I did years ago see a neighbour whip it out in his garden for a quick wee and I never looked at that man the same way again as he was quite an inoffensive, uninteresting man - but hung like a bloody donkey.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just can't believe this is common at all.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Saw this article today. It's happened to me, has it happened to any other FMs? How did you feel? Did you report it? Did anyone help?[/URL]
    Yes, in recent years. On train.
    F*cking fuming and very angry.
    Yes, police were very helpful.
    Yes - and I will always be grateful to those who stuck up for me and helped out.

That piece of shit w*nker w*nked at the wrong person that day, I'm tellin ya. I had him charged, which was to become the SECOND time he'd been charged with a 'public disorder' offence.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its very common. Even in swimming pools a few men would just float on the water with their dick out and when told off by anyone would act like they didn't know. Once might be a accident but cant believe that all those men dont know their dick is out. There was always so many flashers in the 70s.
    Ive not seen a flasher for a very long time but then dont hang about in those places anymore. I'm betting it still goes on just as much as it always has.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the disbelief?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yeah, quite often in the past. Not so much nowadays.

My first sighting was when I was eight on a tube train. He was one of the dying breed - a black suit jacket, pinstripe trousers, black bowler hat, briefcase and the whole works. He seemed old. White hair, white moustache. Sitting alone in front of me. I can't remember who I was with, but it was during a late evening. We were probably on the way home from a cinema or something like it.

The last sighting - roughly eight years ago. Again on a tube. Got my attention when he stared intensely at me. As I was noticing his stare, I noticed how the folded newspaper on his lap bobbed, which made it clear what he was doing. I think I did an eye-roll and refused to look at him since.

The worst was on a N73 during rush hour on a Saturday when I was 12. A bloke sat next to me in a top decker. His elbow eventually kept digging into my arm and ribs. I thought he was trying to get my attention, but I realised what he was doing with his hand in his overcoat pocket. I pretended I didn't notice. I think I stared out of the window. What else could I do? I was trapped between him and the window. The bus was crowded, and my stop wasn't for another twenty minutes. I wasn't upset, though. It was more of feeling irritated, in a sense of "please finish it soon, because I don't like your bony elbow digging my ribs. I don't like sitting next to a weirdo, either."

That sort of thing was more common during my childhood and early teens. Never saw a flasher, though. Yay?
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose that depends on how you define "common".

It does happen, evidently, but as to how often, and how often that often translates to "common"...?

Not sure if there are any official and penis-fiddling-in-public speciifc figures.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only one flasher in my long life. That said, in Africa blokes seem to walk round permanently fondling themselves. Whether it's insecurity (checking everything is still there :D) I don't know. At least they keep it in their trousers...
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only one flasher in my long life. That said, in Africa blokes seem to walk round permanently fondling themselves. Whether it's insecurity (checking everything is still there :D) I don't know. At least they keep it in their trousers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro_(medicine))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all the CCTV that has popped up in the past few decades, how the f**k are these men not being caught? It is indecent exposure and lude behaviour after all.

There are quite a few blokes online who regularly film themselves wanking in public in front of women. If I saw it, he would get a hard kick.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was walking home from a night out once when I noticed a man in his twenties walking on the other side of the street. When he saw I'd noticed him, he crossed the street, I started to run away and he chased me, with his cock out all the while, asking did I like it and would I give him a hand with it. Thankfully I wasn't far from a main city road and when I reached it there was plenty of traffic, and he ran into a house nearby.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    absolutely. It happened to me at a very young age and it was incredibly harrowing. Sadly these stories are often just laughed at or ignored. The dirty old man being widely accepted as part of society.

It happened to me when I was 13, and I didn't actually realise what he was doing. An older person in the group quickly ushered us away. I remember to this day, the shock I felt when I was told what he was doing.