Is it wrong to split up with a partner over the phone?

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it wrong to split up with a partner over the phone?

Is it wrong to split up with a partner over the phone? 59 votes

Yes
69%
psionicclarribo[Deleted User]SJ_MentalKittyKinspixel_pixelJT EffectWolfman13mourinhosmissusSaddlerSteveRAINBOWGIRL22Welsh-ladAneechikNoseyLouieKittycat73[Deleted User]marjanglesBunionsacademiaseellee 41 votes
No
30%
marlo[Deleted User]gotherBobbity-boorufnek2k6slade1[Deleted User]whitecliffeTCD1975Nat28Pumping IronRandomSallywhatsername235Kyle_TmattlambFMKKGav 2.0MonsterMunch99 18 votes

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Depends how far away they live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Yes. If you're going to dump someone, you should do it face to face to make sure you mean it and you can comfort each other after.
    Dumping over the phone is disrespectful IMO.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Yes.

Only cowards would so that. I should know, I went out with one.😢

It's a despicable thing to do if you've been with someone a decent length of time.

Obviously if you're 12 and have only had one date then maybe not so much if an issue!😜
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Face to face is preferable but it depends on the circumstances I suppose but then I've never broken up with anyone.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    It should be face to face.
    Anything else is just cowardly because you can't deal with the fallout of your own actions.

One of my friends got dumped by a Facebook message a couple of days after she'd spent the weekend with the guy.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the relationship is reaching a natural end and there are no safety issues then it is kinder to do it face to face, however a partner may be scared or may have suffered abuse from their partner and feel safer doing it from a distance and in cases like that I would agree with their actions.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    It depends. Like most other things.
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it is.

If you don't do it face-to-face, you're a coward and deserve no respect whatsoever.

End of.
    Forum Member
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    Of course it is.

If you don't do it face-to-face, you're a coward and deserve no respect whatsoever.

End of.

End of? How about if the person you're breaking up with is a violent spouse abuser who could turn nasty and stab you?
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it is.

End of.

So if you have a violent partner you would be a coward to end it by phone from another location ? I would say every case is different rather than an across the board verdict of cowardice.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    skp20040 wrote: »
    If the relationship is reaching a natural end and there are no safety issues then it is kinder to do it face to face, however a partner may be scared or may have suffered abuse from their partner and feel safer doing it from a distance and in cases like that I would agree with their actions.
    Absolutely agree.

Unless there are exceptional circumstances like what you've pointed out, then out of respect for the person that YOU chose to enter into a relationship with, you should finish with them, in person.

Doing it by phone is shitty, cowardly and childish IMO

Yes, things might get emotionally messy but at least you'd be able to go into your next relationship with your head held high, rather than carrying the baggage of having treated someone like crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    So if you have a violent partner you would be a coward to end it by phone from another location ? I would say every case is different rather than an across the board verdict of cowardice.

That's obviously an extreme case and somewhat different. In any normal case my point stands.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on how long you've been together and why you're breaking up.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Of course it is.

End of.

I once broke up with someone on the phone who lived a 13hr direct flight away. Sorry I wasn't prepared to pay £900 and take 2 days of my time travelling, just to do what I could do over the phone.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I once broke up with someone on the phone who lived a 13hr direct flight away. Sorry I wasn't prepared to pay £900 and take 2 days of my time travelling, just to do what I could do over the phone.

Heartless b-stard.;-)
    Forum Member
    That's obviously an extreme case and somewhat different. In any normal case my point stands.

So please stop putting 'end of' at the end of your posts when there are circumstances when your view wouldn't apply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    So please stop putting 'end of' at the end of your posts when there are circumstances when your view wouldn't apply.

Sorry Dad :blush:
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right or wrong, who is to say.

It is kind of lousy, though, but still better than doing it by email
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is if you could have done it by text instead, or Twitter...or a forum post :D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It is if you could have done it by text instead, or Twitter...or a forum post :D
    or live on tv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-8PmCTSX1s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Knob. Didn't know he was still around. He looks like the victim of a drive-by taxidermist :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    :o >:(

:D
    Knob. Didn't know he was still around. He looks like the victim of a drive-by taxidermist :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    :o >:(

It wouldn't actually surprise me to find out that someone had been dumped by 'thread' on this very forum :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    It wouldn't actually surprise me to find out that someone had been dumped by 'thread' on this very forum :D
    Ooft :D