Options

Cockles - how do you eat yours?

black orchidblack orchid Posts: 501
Forum Member
✭✭
For the first time in 20 years I tried a cockle from someone the other day and rather enjoyed it. It wasn't the sort from a jar and was freshly cooked with a bit of salt and vinegar.

I thought I'd hate it but quite liked it so I'm thinking of buying some from the supermarket tomorrow.

as I'd not eaten one since I was about 9 and hated it, I'm not sure of the best way to enjoy them. Just simply with salt and vinegar maybe?

How do you eat yours?

Comments

• Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I prefer pepper & vinegar.

On mussels too. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I saturate mine in Sarsons Malt Vinegar
  • Options
    TTTVTTTV Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember Rick Stein on one of his shows saying that cockles should only be eaten with white pepper and vinegar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vinegar...by the sea if possible!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pepper, vinegar and no sand!
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't. I had a nasty experience with these when i was younger and it put me off for life.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    By the sea helps(as the smell of the "salt water"), and with vinegar and white pepper. It has to be white pepper, not black, it just suits it better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,388
    Forum Member
    wow, this brings back memories... I remember going & collecting bucketloads of these as a child with my sister & mum & dad, & then having to gom home & prepare them all... nothing worse than a cockle with sand in it.... we were eating the bloomin things for months.... :eek:

But, yes, I agree with the others.... vinegar & white pepper... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I always had them with just malt vinegar,I've just tried them with vinegar and white pepper as suggested,and thats it from now on. They were delish...Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malt vinegar here! fantastic :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are lucky enough to be able to go out and rake your own, put them in a bucket of water over night with a sprinkling of flour this will help to clear the sand from them before you cook them, and yes they have to be bought fresh near the sea never in jars.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never tried them. Growing up my parents never ate cockles, mussels etc .. so i never tried them. Then about 10yrs ago my husband (who is very fussy with food) bought some cockles from a stall in Cornwall. He offered me one, but they look weird.

What do they taste like ? Are they just salty ?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    The funniest, but most disgusting way to eat them is to clean your nose very well and seruptitiously put one up. Then take it out with a show and eat it. Guarenteed disgust. A variation (between people who know each other very well) it to take it out of the nose and give it to someone else to eat.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funniest, but most disgusting way to eat them is to clean your nose very well and seruptitiously put one up. Then take it out with a show and eat it. Guarenteed disgust. A variation (between people who know each other very well) it to take it out of the nose and give it to someone else to eat.

I think ive just been sick a little bit.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just Vinegar for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    I remember my nan eating them straight from the jar, I must get a jar and have try, are they crunchy??
  • Options
    hisdogspothisdogspot Posts: 23,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just pepper for me, and it has to be white pepper
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Harleybobs wrote: »
    I remember my nan eating them straight from the jar, I must get a jar and have try, are they crunchy??
    They are if you leave them in the shell