NCIS: No more Gibbs?

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
Am I the only one who thinks that the season 10 finale might be setting the scene for a season 11 where Gibbs is absent a lot of the time, perhaps with a plot-arc that involves the team spending some of their time trying to prove their innocence and locate the missing Gibbs?

I mean, Mark Harmon's not getting any younger and I guess he might feel a lot like Richard Dean Anderson did towards the end of the run of Stargate SG1 or how David Duchovny felt toward the end of The X-Files.

Anybody heard any rumours or interviews relating to the future of NCIS or their plans for season 11?

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think the Season 10 finale had been shown in the UK yet?

Anyway, NCIS is a show that, in my opinion, revolves around the character of Gibbs. I genuinely think if Mark Harmon said he wanted to quit, the show would end.

But then I struggle to watch it nowadays - I find it so utterly repetitive, it becomes quite tedious. I haven't watched it in 3 weeks and have all three of those episodes sitting on my Tivo, but I have no real compulsion to watch them at the moment, what with everything else i've got to watch first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if NCIS are true to form, any season finale cliffhanger will be neatly wrapped up in the opening episode of the following season and they'll go back to "case of the week" from episode 2. They don't really do story arcs unless its the last couple of episodes to the end of the season.
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However it is the top CBS shows in the US:

"NCIS," "The Big Bang Theory, "NCIS: Los Angeles" and "Person Of Interest" are the Top Four Shows of the Week

So they must be doing something right
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiexen wrote: »
    So they must be doing something right

completely agree. the ratings for some of the episodes of NCIS in the states are mind boggling. but then they have a formula that works and they stick to it rigidly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I personally think it would be odd if gibbs (or infact any of the team) left.... i think gibbs is a centeral character and alot of the show is around him, im not sure how it would work if he left :S
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Mark Harmon recently sign new contracts for the show? I remember reading that somewhere. I doubt he's going anywhere for the foreseeable future.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,548
    Forum Member
    And if NCIS are true to form, any season finale cliffhanger will be neatly wrapped up in the opening episode of the following season and they'll go back to "case of the week" from episode 2. They don't really do story arcs unless its the last couple of episodes to the end of the season.
    You must have missed Season 9 then as there was such an arc for the whole season; on and off. Bits seeded throughout the whole thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must have missed Season 9 then as there was such an arc for the whole season; on and off. Bits seeded throughout the whole thing.

what arc was that then?
    Forum Member
    Don't remember, off-hand but I'm sure there was one.

Didn't it start in the first couple of eps with a computer chip being buried in someone's arm? Wasn't Jamie Lee-Curtis' character a big part of it?

I suppose I could be remembering incorrectly.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Didn't Mark Harmon recently sign new contracts for the show? I remember reading that somewhere. I doubt he's going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Last I heard, everyone apart from Cote de Pablo (Ziva) had signed up, talks with Cote were on-going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't remember, off-hand but I'm sure there was one.

Didn't it start in the first couple of eps with a computer chip being buried in someone's arm? Wasn't Jamie Lee-Curtis' character a big part of it?

I suppose I could be remembering incorrectly.

Apparently it's known as the "Phantom Eight" arc and it started out in Season 9 but was wrapped up fairly quickly. So I suppose they do do arcs. Sort of. Their approach to arcs is to still stick with the 'case of the week' formula, but maybe mention part of the arc once, then a few episodes down the line, mention a bit of it again.

I think if I compare this to something like CSI: Vegas, which is also usually 'case of the week', I prefer that because the characters are more likeable and better written. The characters in NCIS just never change - DiNozzo with the jokes and the "Mcthis" and "Mcthat" towards McGee. Ziva still mangling her words .. it goes on.

I do still just about like the show, but I haven't watched it for a month - i've got 4 episodes on the Tivo box. I suppose the more I end up recording, the less i'll want to catch up ..
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gibbs is NCIS. I can't see the show without him.

Though lets not have anymore confusing episodes like the one a few weeks back. Still not sure what was going on lol. (UK pace)
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,459
    Forum Member
    Lol at Mark Harmon not getting any younger! He is only 61 - a mere baby compared to Ted Danson recreating himself in CSI.
    Apart from the hair getting more grey per episode I think Gibbs is ageless ( and gorgeous).

Gibbs IS CSI - it is more likely that David McCallum will be seen less as he really is to old man of the show - 79!

I would like the show to find Gibbs a permanent love interest - maybe a new pathologist working alternate shifts with Ducky?
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Last I heard, everyone apart from Cote de Pablo (Ziva) had signed up, talks with Cote were on-going.

Indeed, and I hope things work out with her re-signing!

I looked up the spoilers for the end of Season 10 yesterday :o, so eek!

I only got into NCIS in Season 8, so now I'm going back through all the old seasons and recording every episode on Sky so I can catch up (got about 45 episodes to watch, it's going to take a while :p).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    I read recently that Harmon is currently the highest paid TV actor in a long running show on 15 million dollars a year.

I doubt he will pack that up.
    Forum Member
    Their approach to arcs is to still stick with the 'case of the week' formula, but maybe mention part of the arc once, then a few episodes down the line, mention a bit of it again.
    Which is a nice way of doing it. That way you can keep the 'casual' viewers happy as well.
    I think if I compare this to something like CSI: Vegas, which is also usually 'case of the week', I prefer that because the characters are more likeable and better written. The characters in NCIS just never change - DiNozzo with the jokes and the "Mcthis" and "Mcthat" towards McGee. Ziva still mangling her words .. it goes on.
    Fair comment but nothing to do with story arcs ;)

In fact, CSI do their arcs in exactly the same way :)
    Though lets not have anymore confusing episodes like the one a few weeks back. Still not sure what was going on lol. (UK pace)
    That will have been episode 200 I guess? Yep. Over a year since I saw it and I still don't know what was going on :D
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Just to weigh in with what's been said so far...

Nice to hear that Mark Harmon's signed up for more NCIS.
    That's just the sort of news I was hoping for. :)

Just seemed like the season 10 ending could pave the way for a season without Gibbs and then, depending on what happens with the viewing figures, they could decide whether the rest of the cast could carry the show, whether to bring Gibbs back or whether to cancel the show.

Must admit, I am a big fan of NCIS.
    I know it can be a bit formulaic but I like the way it focuses on brain-power and detective work rather than running around and shooting people.
    You've only got to look at the way NCIS: LA turned out to see that it was probably a complete fluke that Donald Bellisario ever produced something better than mediocre.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone noticed that the epg data on FOX is a week ahead of the episode that's actually shown? Ie on May 10th they showed Seek, but the epg data was for Squall which was shown last Friday, 17th. That had epg data for Chasing Ghosts which is the next episode due to be shown here on 24th. I don't know when or how the epg data got one week ahead.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Anyone noticed that the epg data on FOX is a week ahead of the episode that's actually shown? Ie on May 10th they showed Seek, but the epg data was for Squall which was shown last Friday, 17th. That had epg data for Chasing Ghosts which is the next episode due to be shown here on 24th. I don't know when or how the epg data got one week ahead.

That's strange, it's been fine here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my Tivo recorded an episode tonight that it thinks is episode 20, yet it's still scheduled for Friday as well.
  • HorizonPeteHorizonPete Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Must admit, I am a big fan of NCIS.
    I know it can be a bit formulaic but I like the way it focuses on brain-power and detective work rather than running around and shooting people.
    Same here

NCIS without Gibbs....can't be done. I think Gibbs will continue until he's old and grey(er than he his now and he'll still be driving) - whether Mark Harmon will is another matter though. My favourite Gibbs driving moment is where he and McGee are driving out to Kate and Tony at the trailer in season 2.3 "Vanished" :D
    Plus they've still got to reveal the rest of Gibbs rules. So far I've counted 29 (including his new #51-Sometimes you're wrong).
    You've only got to look at the way NCIS: LA turned out to see that it was probably a complete fluke that Donald Bellisario ever produced something better than mediocre
    :D:D
    I watch NCIS:LA on Sunday's and for a show that's supposedly about undercover assignments they spend a lot of time following the standard police show formula. I think the undercover means really casual wear ;)

What would you want to see happen with the characters in season 11?
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    You've only got to look at the way NCIS: LA turned out to see that it was probably a complete fluke that Donald Bellisario ever produced something better than mediocre

Has anyone actually looked at what Bellisario has done in the last 30 years or so.

Just to name a few

Quantum Leap
    Magnum PI
    Airwolf
    BSG (The original)
    Quincy ME

As well as writing an Episode of Kojak
    Forum Member
    Has anyone actually looked at what Bellisario has done in the last 30 years or so.

Just to name a few

Quantum Leap
    Magnum PI
    Airwolf
    BSG (The original)
    Quincy ME

As well as writing an Episode of Kojak

I know.

Awful, aren't they? :p

Don't get me wrong, I loved Airwolf and BSG when I was a kid and Magnum did have some depth (later on, particularly) but the guy just seems to churn out heaps of mediocre populist stuff.
    Seems like he really just "got lucky" with NCIS and the fact that NCIS: LA is like it is certainly suggests his writing hasn't really evolved or matured in any way.
    Forum Member
    What would you want to see happen with the characters in season 11?

S'funny, I sometimes wonder if there's a big sign on the wall of the writers office saying "REMEMBER: This is NOT a soap opera. It's a cop show!"

I kinda respect them for sticking to that philosophy so doggedly and not turning it into a soap opera but I think they could afford to show a little more of their personal lives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I think they could afford to show a little more of their personal lives.

I think it would make the characters more relatable i think, rather than the repetitive clones they been so far