Why do people on this site hate Rose Tyler *SO* Much?

Comments

• ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    racingmars wrote: »
    This is my view as well. I had no problem with BP or her character, in fact i think we all owe BP & CE a huge thank you for bringing back DW in such a great way.
    I also don't have an issue with companions falling for the doctor. In fact given his abilities and persona, it would be a surprise if they didn't find themselves in awe of him.

However, like Listentome, the constant referencing to her throughout season 3 really bugged me. And i have to say, i ultimately feel that this was the reason that i never really gelled with Martha as a companion. Every time she tried to take a step forward, a comparison to Rose popped up and shot her down.

Rose was great, but when she left RTD should have moved on.

just my opinion.
    :cool:

I really liked Martha, but I'm not surprised a lot of peole don't. Let's face it if the writers are going to set her up as not being anywhere near Rose in the Doctor's eyes then the viewers are going to feel the same. Coming in as a new companion is hard enough as you are in the shadow of the previous one, so if you're going to make the story escalate that fact then the new companion has no chance.

I can kind of see why RTD took that approach. One problem with the old series is that the Doctor seemed to forget companions and move on as if they never existed. Sarah Jane is forgotten pretty much in the following story to her leaving. I liked that they kind of touched on that in School Reunion, when she questions Rose about the Doctor never mentioning her
  • Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Interestingly, series 3 seems to be more popular than series 2, and Rose wasn't in series 3. I like Rose, Martha and Donna. I don't like it when people get scathing about their acting, its DW for goodness sake. I guess my main problem with Rose is the way her relationship with the Doctor was treated in a way which, for old series fans like me, seemed to diminish the Doctor's relationship with previous companions. And then they kept banging o nabout her in series 3 so Martha never really had a fighting chance

Agree. That was one of my main gripes about the Rose character.

I think looking back on things, as someone who remembered Dr Who of old as a child, I just couldn't and still don't understand RTD obsession with Rose. I loved some of the companions of old, but at the end of the day they were companions and even as a small child I was able to comprehend that they are left behind, we move on and we get a new one to replace them; they never were and never should be the main or primary focus. The show is Dr Who not Companion Who.
    I didn't mind Rose in series 1, mainly because I was just pleased to see Dr Who back and personally I really rated Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor so Rose didn't trouble me too much. But Christ on a bike, by series two I couldn't abide her. She was also making me dislike DT's doctor as well. Come Doomsday I for one was punching the air with delight, as I thought I'd seen the back of the girl.....sadly that has proved to be something of a false dawn. The Rose references etc blighted series 3 (best series nonetheless IMO); and now she's back. I was one of those up in arms about CT casting but she's proving to be less irritating than I had anticipated and I love the Donna/ Martha dynamic. I don't see why the assistants can't just be allowed to develop without that blasted thorny Rose in their side.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Perhaps with the early regeneration of the Doctor in the New Series, RTD thought that a central character was needed to bridge the gap for the audience between the 9th and 10th doctors. Unfortunately I think this made Rose a bit too large and I agree, we do need closure.

Catherine Tate however has been a delight this series, I was thoroughly expecting her to ruin it tbh, but it has been an excellent start to the series, with some very solid stories. I love Bernard Cribbins too!

Bring on more!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna guess jealousy? lol

maybe they wish they were rose
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why does it matter if people do? We are all independant thinkers and see things and people in different ways.
  • deisegirldeisegirl Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've read, I always thought this forum was full of love for Rose Tyler. :confused: I don't like her, and I know there there are others that don't but the majority seem to like her
  • MrsDavidTennantMrsDavidTennant Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malfi wrote: »

Why does it matter if people do? We are all independant thinkers and see things and people in different ways.

merely wondering
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I don't hate Rose but I hate the way she is put on a pedestal above all the other companions.

I view Rose as RTDs' Mary Sue Character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merely wondering

Just like the other thread you started about Martha a few weeks back hmmm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsDavidTennant is a compulsive thread-starter - averaging about three new threads per day. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey S wrote: »
    MrsDavidTennant is a compulsive thread-starter - averaging about three new threads per day. :D

Bordem will do crazy things to you.

At least I anit a compulsive fire-starter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and your point is....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bordem will do crazy things to you.

At least I anit a compulsive fire-starter

cue The Prodigy.:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ow4TLMTqM

there is a potential Who monster if ever I saw one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cue The Prodigy.:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ow4TLMTqM

there is a potential Who monster if ever I saw one.

*Dances about the room with my lighter*
    ;)
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adored... well I still do... Rose. I just loved her character, her family and everything she brought to Doctor Who. I agree in Series 2 she got a bit annoying, and know-it-all etc and I really wish that hadn't been the case.

I sobbed like a bloody baby during Doomsday, and I still do everytime I watch it. The beach scene just hits such a nerve and I can't hold the tears in. My boyfriend has never watched DW with me since I put Doomsday on (had just bought the series 2 box set) because I cried like the world was ending :D

However, I do agree that (although I loved the references to Rose during series 3, because I'm such a romantic and wanted to believe the Doctor still loved her and missed her) Martha was never given a proper chance, and that after this series a line should be drawn under Rose. The Doctor has moved on millions of times and why should Rose be any different? Rose is not bigger than DW.

I think Billie is a fantastic actress. I wasn't a fan of Martha at all but series 3 had so many brilliant episodes it didn't bother me too much. I also thought Donna would be dreadful as I can't abide CT's comedy sketches, but she's been superb.

I must just get this "but she's not Rose..." feeling with every new companion! It passes though :D
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    energizer wrote: »
    Perhaps with the early regeneration of the Doctor in the New Series, RTD thought that a central character was needed to bridge the gap for the audience between the 9th and 10th doctors. Unfortunately I think this made Rose a bit too large and I agree, we do need closure.

Yes, I think this is definitely the reason why the memory of Rose has loomed so large in series 3-4. At the end of series 1, her character had a massive responsibility to carry us viewers forward into the second series and shift our affection from CE to DT. It was therefore vital that the viewers really connected with Rose, otherwise we might have emotionally disconnected from the programme when CE left, feeling a bit "betrayed" about losing him after so short a time. So Rose had to be the link that kept us attached, and to be fair, she did it brilliantly.

Trouble is, she has cast such a huge shadow over everything that's followed, it's made it difficult for the subsequent companions to make their mark. I agree with the above poster who can't quite shake off the feeling of "yes, but she's not Rose." I feel that way too.

I do worry, though, about how Rose's return will unbalance the show. Unless there is some pretty satisfying closure device, isn't it just going to rake up all the old pain and trigger off the Doctor's emotional turmoil again? And ours too?! Oh dear....I cried *buckets* during the last episode of series 2!...I'm not sure I can take another episode like that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    Yes, I think this is definitely the reason why the memory of Rose has loomed so large in series 3-4. At the end of series 1, her character had a massive responsibility to carry us viewers forward into the second series and shift our affection from CE to DT. It was therefore vital that the viewers really connected with Rose, otherwise we might have emotionally disconnected from the programme when CE left, feeling a bit "betrayed" about losing him after so short a time. So Rose had to be the link that kept us attached, and to be fair, she did it brilliantly.

Trouble is, she has cast such a huge shadow over everything that's followed, it's made it difficult for the subsequent companions to make their mark. I agree with the above poster who can't quite shake off the feeling of "yes, but she's not Rose." I feel that way too.

I do worry, though, about how Rose's return will unbalance the show. Unless there is some pretty satisfying closure device, isn't it just going to rake up all the old pain and trigger off the Doctor's emotional turmoil again? And ours too?! Oh dear....I cried *buckets* during the last episode of series 2!...I'm not sure I can take another episode like that!

I do compeletly understand and agree with what your saying, but I love Rose always will, But I really really think Catherine Tate as Donna is starting to move out of that shadow.

I think Catherine so far has been strong enough for people to go yeah I like Donna, I like Rose but Donna is something new Fresh..:)

I hope that Rose's story is closed at the end of this season (As much as I dont want that for the Rose/10 Shipper inside of me but for the show we really need it :) )
  • MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like her attitude in Series 2. Began with 'School Reunion' when she had ordered the chips in the cafe and literally snatched it off the counter and stormed off not even saying 'thank you'. it was then I realised what a RUDE character Rose was becoming. Then in the Cyberman double partner she kept disobeying the Doctor. She became smug and was acting like she was the be all and end all.
    In Series 1 she was grateful and you could see the wide eyed girl being shown the wonders of the universe. Look at 'End of the World'. I loved her "Where am I gonna go, Ipswitch?" Even though I wasn't a Dr 9 fan he seemed much better with Rose then Tennant did. I only started loving his Doctor after Martha came in and he works best with Donna now. The two are a great team.
    I believe to dislike a character so much in series 2 after loving her in series 1 is testament to the wonderful Billie Piper's acting skills. She made that character hateable like she made her loveable. She's awesome in other shows (and cute and got a good singing voice!)
    However I will reserve my judgement on Miss Tyler until the end of Series 4. She's got 3 episodes to win me over.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    I can't help but notice the massive anti-Rose feeling on this Site? But I a not against people having there own opinions but loads of people say she was smug?

But this site does seem to have a high number of haters, :eek:

So whats this smugness?! And that they LIke Season 1 Rose more to season 2 :confused::confused:

Some people think the series is about the Doctor and companions are not important to anything like the same degree. Thats never been true except when there were weak companions or a host of them but people seem to find ii strange that the companion is the costar. Rose is actually playing a role that Jo. Sarah Jane, Leila and Ace all played before.

Some people didn't like the second season Rose as she was too confident - missing the point that she was only following where the new Doctor was taking his character. You can't run pride goes before a fall as the season's theme without writing the characters to fit the theme. A girl with attitude just upsets some people more than a male with it.

Some people don't like romance - missing the point that the doctor obviously hasn't been asexual for 900 years and the natural consequence of having a Doctor who for once looks young enough to be interested in his female companions. An asexual doctor was fine for 1963 but it doesn't work when Neighbours has 5 romances everyday before 6 oclock. Romance on the other hand brings in a crucial new young female audience.

Some people then had a problem with Rose being jealous - which other people might read as a very realistic and inevitable consequence of her being in love with the Doctor. Strangely Rose was attacked for being jealous and the doctor got away with infidelity and ignoring her feelings without much comment.

Some people thought she was too chavy- itself a tribute to Billie's acting given what her own voice sounds like. Again though that was a natural move to make . With a doctor who had a northern accent the series was breaking new ground away from the old stereotype of RP english - the chav companion just built on the point. Interestingly the better educated companion that followed was so dull that they had to be replaced by someone with yet another chav accent.

Some people just want a boys own all male show. The first female doctor is going to come as a really big shock .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    Agree. That was one of my main gripes about the Rose character.

I think looking back on things, as someone who remembered Dr Who of old as a child, I just couldn't and still don't understand RTD obsession with Rose. I loved some of the companions of old, but at the end of the day they were companions and even as a small child I was able to comprehend that they are left behind, we move on and we get a new one to replace them; they never were and never should be the main or primary focus. The show is Dr Who not Companion Who.
    I didn't mind Rose in series 1, mainly because I was just pleased to see Dr Who back and personally I really rated Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor so Rose didn't trouble me too much. But Christ on a bike, by series two I couldn't abide her. She was also making me dislike DT's doctor as well. Come Doomsday I for one was punching the air with delight, as I thought I'd seen the back of the girl.....sadly that has proved to be something of a false dawn. The Rose references etc blighted series 3 (best series nonetheless IMO); and now she's back. I was one of those up in arms about CT casting but she's proving to be less irritating than I had anticipated and I love the Donna/ Martha dynamic. I don't see why the assistants can't just be allowed to develop without that blasted thorny Rose in their side.

I couldn't have put this better myself.
    I did think the writing standard was also better in the Chris Ecclestone series, so that you were gripped by the story and weren't so irritated by Rose; by the time Tennant came in they seemed to have run out of ideas and steam.
    I'm irritated by the way some people seem so excited by the idea of Rose returning, it's hardly the 2nd coming of Christ.
  • dddddarrendddddarren Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think anyone really hated rose tyler and i thought she was brilliant while she was in it, however people do get sick of her being mentioned so much and referenced in the programme, particularly in light of there being much stronger female characters which have walked into the doctors life. She just seems to have been outshone, and outgrown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    She cant act? Everyone thought she was going to be dreadful when New Who started. She has been ranked one of the best companions. I thoght she was brilliant, and the crap that she cant act is as I say crap. She is a fantastic actress!
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't hate Rose, then again I don't love her either. I think she mainly made a better companion than Martha (and that's nothing Freema the actress because the scripts were against her from the start - the scriptwriters were obviously given instruction to make her "the one who isn't as good as Rose"). However I would put Rose behind Donna because I think that Tate & Tennant have the best Doctor/Companion partnership of the new series.

I would agree with others therefore that what I "dislike" is that the show stopped being Doctor Who and became "The Doctor Who and Rose Show". Two series of them getting all lovey-dovey, one series of him pining over the loss of Rose and how no one could ever replace her and now a series of Rose coming back".

Enough of Rose already; she was a companion, now she is an ex-companion (one of many), get over it and move on to the next one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dddddarren wrote: »
    I dont think anyone really hated rose tyler and i thought she was brilliant while she was in it, however people do get sick of her being mentioned so much and referenced in the programme, particularly in light of there being much stronger female characters which have walked into the doctors life. She just seems to have been outshone, and outgrown.

LOL to be honest ddddddaren you now know how a lot of us feel with your forever prattling on about Sally Sparrow.

And yes some people I would say do "hate" her.

But I am not going to go into your other comments to much because it will start me getting annoyed but meh live and let live :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fosdyke wrote: »
    I'm irritated by the way some people seem so excited by the idea of Rose returning, it's hardly the 2nd coming of Christ.

Why do you let it bother you :eek: You will be irritated to buggery over "left turn" and the week before and after.

Rose Threads ahoy, and I will make it my mission to have more than Sally and Jenny have :rolleyes: