Options

HD freeview box

Greetings.

Does anyone have one of these Humax freeview HD boxes? http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=HUMA-HDCI2000

Are they any good? What channels can you recieve on it?

At the moment I have a sky box (bought of ebay) with no subscription so I just get the free channels. If I get this box will I be able to plug it into the dish that the sky box currently gets its signal from?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a Freeview box, it's a Digital satellite receiver intended for receiving FTA SD and HD broadcasts plus services which offer CAM modules for their PAY packages.

While the box as a CI slot (which TUTV uses in Freeview boxes) this receiver is satellite only and TUTV is DTT only.

All that aside you can use this box on your existing LNB feed but you can not watch the FTV channels (Ch4/E4/More4, Five family and SKY3) plus there is no 7 day EPG. You will be able to watch all the FTA channels as well as the BBC HD trial.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool thanks for the reply, it doesnt seem like such a great deal, as I would still have to have my regular sky box to watch channel 4 etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoperfully sometime this year the BBC and ITV will offer Freesat which should be like Freeview in hardware features but on satellite, still no CH4 or Five but a more useful STB.
    CH4 are expected to go FTA next year when the current contract with SKY ends and cable do offer a "free" TV package if you take their phone service, London is a big place so not sure if you have cable coverage:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what is the best way to get a HD signal of some sort without subscribiing to Sky?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That box will pick up the BBC HD trial (for however long it lasts) and there are other FTA channels in the EU and NTL are offering a HD box now with some HD content on a PPV basis and via VOD.

That aside if you have broadband and an unlimited ISP then well there are other means for getting HD to watch.