Options

Cast size in all soaps - Who needs to go?

Mr FitzgeraldMr Fitzgerald Posts: 175
Forum Member
Full time, recurring, new and returning characters. Extras, Guests and Animals included.

Coronation Street

83 Cast Members

Emmerdale

89 cast members

Hollyoaks

79 Cast Members

Eastenders

97 Cast Members

Neighbours

42 Characters

Home and Away

39 Cast Members

Casualty

30 Cast Members

Holby City

20 Cast Members

Comments

• Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Emmerdale could do with a few axings.

Dan Spencer
    Tracy Shankley

Are the two main culprits.

Aaron Dingle
    Doug Potts
    Debbie Dingle
    Nicola & Jimmy
    Joanie Dingle
    Jai Sharma

Are all characters who could also leave and I would not miss them.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise most of these 83 characters in Corrie are guest/recurring and some only there to serve a certain storyline right? 60 of them are actual regulars.

But to the point of the thread, I'd get rid of

Steph
    Andy
    Luke
    ^ All so bland

Rana (non-entity)
    Robert Preston
  • Options
    lapetitepaumeelapetitepaumee Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    97 for EastEnders? Who are you counting for that?

According to this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/2nv0rtJZlqCpyLc2qW3w6F7/characters

There are only 43 regular characters.

Are you including the likes of Libby, Jean etc? What's the point in axing them; they're only brought in to facilitate storylines.
  • Options
    MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise most of these 83 characters in Corrie are guest/recurring and some only there to serve a certain storyline right? 60 of them are actual regulars.

But to the point of the thread, I'd get rid of

Steph
    Andy
    Luke
    ^ All so bland

Rana (non-entity)
    Robert Preston

For CS I'd have suggested these characters. I've never really warmed to Steph and don't find her particularly witty nor likeable, as she seems to be intended. I thought the Andy faking to be Michael's son storyline was actually quite good, but he's pretty unused and forgettable these days. I think that the Britton's could have worked better had their family been introduced, but the Nazir's were brought in around the same time as Steph and Luke and as the producers were trying to establish one family they probably wouldn't have seen fit for another. And the least said about Robert the better, I've seen the actor who plays him in a few other shows and never had a problem with him, but I find him absolutely atrocious in Corrie, just wooden and an unneeded character.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another axing thread!!
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    I think Emmerdale could do with a few axings.

Dan Spencer
    Tracy Shankley

Are the two main culprits.

Aaron Dingle
    Doug Potts
    Debbie Dingle
    Nicola & Jimmy
    Joanie Dingle
    Jai Sharma

Are all characters who could also leave and I would not miss them.

You can't be serious about these two. Aaron is the GOAT of Emmerdale and while I don't like Debbie is is a big part of the show, Charlie Webb is a great actress and the character of Debbie is unique, you rarely seen many cold hearted heroines on soaps.

But back to the OP's topic I don't think the cast sizes are too large, the soaps use all the characters in the cast fairly well so I see no need to downsize just for numbers, but there are a few characters that could go.

Coronation Street:
    Izzy Armstrong
    Alya Nazir
    Robert Preston

Emmerdale:
    Jai Sharma
    Brenda "Wendy" Hope
    Doug Potts
    Marlon Dingle

Hollyoaks:
    Neeta Kaur
    Marnie Nightingale
    Freddie ":o" Roscoe
    Holly Cunningham
    Peri Lomax
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't be serious about these two. Aaron is the GOAT of Emmerdale and while I don't like Debbie is is a big part of the show, Charlie Webb is a great actress and the character of Debbie is unique, you rarely seen many cold hearted heroines on soaps.

But back to the OP's topic I don't think the cast sizes are too large, the soaps use all the characters in the cast fairly well so I see no need to downsize just for numbers, but there are a few characters that could go.

Coronation Street:
    Izzy Armstrong
    Alya Nazir
    Robert Preston

Emmerdale:
    Jai Sharma
    Brenda "Wendy" Hope
    Doug Potts
    Marlon Dingle

Hollyoaks:
    Neeta Kaur
    Marnie Nightingale
    Freddie ":o" Roscoe
    Holly Cunningham
    Peri Lomax

I was being completely serious. I would not miss either of those characters if they were axed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was being completely serious. I would not miss either of those characters if they were axed.

ok, but objectively if you were the producer would you really fire two of the show's biggest stars? I cannot stand Debbie but if I were in charge I would not get rid of her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok, but objectively if you were the producer would you really fire two of the show's biggest stars? I cannot stand Debbie but if I were in charge I would not get rid of her.

Probably not, no. They're the biggest "celebrities" from the soap. But I would certainly give them less to do, a break does wonders for a character, look at Charity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not, no. They're the biggest "celebrities" from the soap. But I would certainly give them less to do, a break does wonders for a character, look at Charity

Well Aaron has been quiet these last few months and we've had months without Debbie so they aren't shoving them down anyone's throat.
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    There aren't many I'd want to axe really but...

Coronation Street
    Yasmeen Nazir
    Sean Tully

Hollyoaks
    Marnie Nightingale
    Scott Drinkwell
    Nico Blake
    Sienna Blake
    Peri Lomax
    Cameron Campbell
    Lisa Loveday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MK184 wrote: »
    For CS I'd have suggested these characters. I've never really warmed to Steph and don't find her particularly witty nor likeable, as she seems to be intended. I thought the Andy faking to be Michael's son storyline was actually quite good, but he's pretty unused and forgettable these days. I think that the Britton's could have worked better had their family been introduced, but the Nazir's were brought in around the same time as Steph and Luke and as the producers were trying to establish one family they probably wouldn't have seen fit for another. And the least said about Robert the better, I've seen the actor who plays him in a few other shows and never had a problem with him, but I find him absolutely atrocious in Corrie, just wooden and an unneeded character.

Thanks for the reply. I find Steph's moaning and miserable face really annoying. She is another young character who doesn't seem to have any joy or fun in life, it is just about the bloody Bistro. Andy seems to have been kept on without the writers actually knowing what to do with him, and his relationship with Steph isn't memorable at all. I can't see him lasting
    once Michael departs the show.

Robert is another one they don't seem to know what to do with. He was introduced as the moral compass who would try and get Tracy on the right path, but when the writers got bored of trying to redeem her they seem to be all over the place with Robert. Now I can't tell if he is meant to be the good guy or bad guy as he seems to change every episode.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply. I find Steph's moaning and miserable face really annoying. She is another young character who doesn't seem to have any joy or fun in life, it is just about the bloody Bistro. Andy seems to have been kept on without the writers actually knowing what to do with him, and his relationship with Steph isn't memorable at all. I can't see him lasting
    once Michael departs the show.

Robert is another one they don't seem to know what to do with. He was introduced as the moral compass who would try and get Tracy on the right path, but when the writers got bored of trying to redeem her they seem to be all over the place with Robert. Now I can't tell if he is meant to be the good guy or bad guy as he seems to change every episode.
    I agree, Robert is a complete waste of time as a character & just didn't work with Tracy for whatever reason they had when they decided to bring him back!! The whole of his story arc from start to finish has been contrived unrealistic nonsense which when coupled with the fact Tristan Gemmill serms to have forgotten how to act makes him prime candidate for the axe imo!!
    Rana has been an unnecessary & not very likeable passenger since the day she arrived for me & I wouldn't miss Alya if the pair of them decided to go away travelling together or something!!
    The only other one I would axe (probably literally) I know we will never be rid of but it doesn't stop me hoping!!
    Maybe even Kate Ford herself will get sick of playing the same boring part in the same boring storylines eventually!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Aaron has been quiet these last few months and we've had months without Debbie so they aren't shoving them down anyone's throat.

Hence what I was talking about a break doing wonders for a character Mark.

Both will have big storylines in the coming months however, probably at the same time too and I will be reaching for the remote.

If I had the choice I would axe them both, from an entertainment standpoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, Robert is a complete waste of time as a character & just didn't work with Tracy for whatever reason they had when they decided to bring him back!! The whole of his story arc from start to finish has been contrived unrealistic nonsense which when coupled with the fact Tristan Gemmill serms to have forgotten how to act makes him prime candidate for the axe imo!!
    Rana has been an unnecessary & not very likeable passenger since the day she arrived for me & I wouldn't miss Alya if the pair of them decided to go away travelling together or something!!
    The only other one I would axe (probably literally) I know we will never be rid of but it doesn't stop me hoping!!
    Maybe even Kate Ford herself will get sick of playing the same boring part in the same boring storylines eventually!!

I had to rush off, but was going to add that you have to question someone's mortality when they pine after Tracy Barlow of all people. The whole thing about him missing Tracy for 13 years is just ridiculous. But I can see him being written out soon once his contract is up, I can't see what else they will do with him.

Rana is utterly useless, it actually took me a moment to try and remember who she was when she randomly popped up a couple of weeks ago after being absent for months.

Tracy's departure is just wishful thinking, I don't think there is any chance of her leaving again. I wouldn't mind her if she just remained a background character, instead of men always wanting her (for some reason) or up to another scheme. It would be also good if people didn't bother with her, instead of forgetting about her schemes.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You barely see some characters for weeks if at all.. deffo needs a downgrade it's ridiculous.

Soap was much better with a strong 20 cast who people can get emotionally attached too.

It is turning into the soap version of Game of Thrones where theres too many new/different characters you can't relate or emotionally invested to care about either of them because they are not on-screen long enough..
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Another axing thread!!

It's usually you who starts axing threads! I've lost count of the number you've started but there are loads,