Windows 10 anniversary update

Comments

• Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eadfrith wrote: »
    The update killed Cortana for me
    Lucky you. I had to do it manually by editing the registry.
  • Options
    GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloaded it yesterday and its fudged up my machine. >:(

When I wake my PC from standby it just hangs on a nice picture and never seems to get to the enter password.

I also updated my Nvidia drivers yesterday so wondering if its that?

Looks like I will have to rollback to the old versions.>:(
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    GoodBuddy wrote: »
    When I wake my PC from standby it just hangs on a nice picture and never seems to get to the enter password.
    Not sure if its quite the same issue you have but I sometimes need to unplug and plug back in my keyboard/mouse to be able to get past that screen. It's not new to the anniversary update though. Only abnormality I can think is that I am running them off the USB hub in my monitor due to lack of ports.
  • Options
    SkeetsSkeets Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Just managed to get back online after a day of trying everything I thought of .
    I couldn't access the internet even though Windows 10 Anniversary update couldn't find any problems.

Used my Windows lumia phone eventually to find the advice to turn off VPN and that worked for me.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skeets wrote: »
    Just managed to get back online after a day of trying everything I thought of .
    I couldn't access the internet even though Windows 10 Anniversary update couldn't find any problems.

Used my Windows lumia phone eventually to find the advice to turn off VPN and that worked for me.
    What VPN?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    What VPN?

I didn't know what VPN was but it means Virtual Private Network and apparently it was turned on on my machine. Killed my connection but I have no idea how it works and just took the advice to see if turning it off worked and it did. I'm not doing anything further, too traumatised. It's all too technical for me.

Just check Google because there seem to be a ton of problems with it and the Anniversary edition.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Eadfrith wrote: »
    The update killed Cortana for me

If you can work out and publish how you managed that, many people will be for ever grateful! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skeets wrote: »
    I didn't know what VPN was but it means Virtual Private Network and apparently it was turned on on my machine. Killed my connection but I have no idea how it works and just took the advice to see if turning it off worked and it did. I'm not doing anything further, too traumatised. It's all too technical for me.

Just check Google because there seem to be a ton of problems with it and the Anniversary edition.
    Sorry, but Windows can't setup a VPN by itself. It may have been something you were tinkering with before.

Millions of people will be receiving the Anniversary update. Google will give results for the relatively few that went wrong. I'm sorry it happened to you.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google will give results for the relatively few that went wrong.

Who's publishing those stats?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but Windows can't setup a VPN by itself. It may have been something you were tinkering with before.

Millions of people will be receiving the Anniversary update. Google will give results for the relatively few that went wrong. I'm sorry it happened to you.

It did happen to me after stupidly joining the Developers to get the upgrade early as the first one was working perfectly. It did work at first but then crawled going online and I mean c r a w l e d then blocked when still being told that there was no problem with the internet connection.
    I rolled back but still had the problem and wanted to change from being on the "Public" network it had listed me as being on to the "Private" home internet as formerly and that might be the problem. Only one computer going online anyway and never travelling with it. Virginmedia said no problem with connection (100 MG) I even thought someone in my block of flats had hijacked it.

uninstalled AVG - worked then crawled again. Unticked VPN = worked
    Installed AVG again = worked.

You sort it out I don't know. PS: This crawling was in the papers as a problem when Windows 10 first came out. Even the Daily Express (uk) had an article about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's publishing those stats?

What are you saying, that it's not true that 'relatively few' updates are going wrong? That would imply that the majority are going wrong. That doesn't seem to be the consensus here.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you saying, that it's not true that 'relatively few' updates are going wrong? That would imply that the majority are going wrong. That doesn't seem to be the consensus here.

Agreed - looking on other forums, I saw a much greater rate of issues being seen when 10240 and 10586 came out.

The most common theme is (as regulars know), most issues stem from the auto upgrade process not being as reliable as it should. Upgrading via the media creation tool is generally more reliable.

One thing a lot of people are unaware of it the very useful repair upgrade ability in Windows 10.

You can basically run setup.exe from a mounted iso and it repairs the OS keeping all files and programs. It basically works like any media creation tool upgrade except it upgrades itself to the SAME version.

I always try this before resorting to a clean install, and it sorts most issues.
  • Options
    GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that, could not fine an exact solution so went back to the old version of 10 and that seems to have cured it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoodBuddy wrote: »
    Thanks for that, could not fine an exact solution so went back to the old version of 10 and that seems to have cured it.

In case it's a driver, and now you are back to a working set, consider backing them all up (MS and non-MS)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/double_driver.html
  • Options
    jimmy22jimmy22 Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in almost same position on my spare laptop, except I got to 75% in the last stage before it rolled back (I didn't have to hard power down)

Since it was my spare,I decided to try lots of potential solutions, rather than a clean install, and eventually it worked for me after many failures.

1. Don't use the on-line Updater. Use Media Creation Tool

Create for another PC and download the ISO file. This only needs to be done once, even if it fails again.

2. Goto Control Panel / Uninstall a program and uninstall anything you will never use again or that you might have got from a dodgy source

3. Check for Windows Updates

4. Run Disk Cleanup including the option that is given for advanced System files. Press Windows key and R and type cleanmgr

5. Right click the downloaded ISO file, Mount and double click Setup(.exe) to start the upgrade again.

=-=-=-=-=

For continued failure, try again with Wifi and Ethernet disconnected.

Also try the /MAXCLEAN option with Disk Cleanup (see links below)

(I only had to do a normal cleanup for my laptop)

Further reading:

Total Failure to Install Windows 10

Fixes most of the Windows 10 build 10122 upgrade issues

=-=-=-=-=

The other common stuff, chkdsk, sfc /scannow, memory check, virtual memory etc did not work for me.

Hi I having this issue on new asus laptop only bought other week came with Windows 10 says restart several times it don't gets to 29% working on updates then goes to asus logo stays on it i have to switch off then it does restore previous Windows any other ideas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you been methodical going through it? eg Downloading the ISO file and running setup (doing that from DVD or USB is also OK)?

Did you try with WiFi andEthernet definitely OFF (Disabled in Device Manager is a sure way. Can be re-enabled later). Also switch anti virus off.

See if WhoCrashed gives any clues
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN ?
  • Options
    jimmy22jimmy22 Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't tried with wifi off I did the Iso file but it comes up upgrading Windows on laptop that didn't have disc with it when I bought it so scrapped that idea any other suggestions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disabling Wifi and Ethernet forces Windows Install to use the drivers on the machine instead of grabbing new dodgy ones from the Internet.

=-=-=-=-=
    I did the Iso file but it comes up upgrading Windows on laptop that didn't have disc with it when I bought it so scrapped that idea

Do you mean you are running Setup.exe (from the Mounted ISO) on a machine that you don't want upgraded?
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dell laptop went fine. Not installing on my Lenovo one though. Nearly completes the process but then rolls back with error code 0x80240017. Done a lot of a googling and tons of different ideas but no definitive answer. Tried several things to no avail so far.

Any ideas anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    Dell laptop went fine. Not installing on my Lenovo one though. Nearly completes the process but then rolls back with error code 0x80240017. Done a lot of a googling and tons of different ideas but no definitive answer. Tried several things to no avail so far.

Any ideas anyone?

Clean install (keep nothing) or upgrade (keep apps and settings)?
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, will probably have to. A couple of other things I will try first. The error code itself is a common one and doesn't give me much chance of identifying the specific cause.
  • Options
    ArtificialIntelArtificialIntel Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I found that a Windows Update repair (search MS site for the tool) fixed the problem with our Lenovo.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Oh how I wish we could turn off these updates. I use my laptops solely for the Internet and don't want them fouled up with updates that might do just that. On Wins XP and Win 7 I always had updates turned off and then was able to scan for them and see whether I wished to download them or not.