Options

Ched Evans

Comments

• Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I asked the mods to lock this over a month ago.

Why? What's it to you if others still want to discuss it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Why? What's it to you if others still want to discuss it?

Because it's ridiculous. I hardly see how it is football related also. Thread should either be locked or put in another section.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Totale wrote: »
    pretty impossible to do as:
    a)only 3 people in the room
    b) 2 said she was happy with the situation
    c) 3rd person cant remember

this evidence (against Evans) is the evidence( cc video, taxi driver) that portrays she was too drunk to consent (but Evans was not present and didn't see her in a drunken state) but strangely she was not drunk enough to consent with McDonald :confused:

Absolutely.

Given she talked with McDonald, and went back with him, it's a very different situation to someone else showing up who you haven't spoken to, and while you're semi-conscious..
  • Options
    Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No reason not to he is a very good footballer. He has paid his debt to society, and would be an idiot not to grasp this opportunity. Plays to his best could be the biggest steal of the season
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was always going to hapoen a Ream who arent having the Greatest of Times. See a player who will probaly score.

If Hartlepool do sogn him, be interesting to see how fans public react, and How Jeff Stelling approaches it on Soccer Saturday.

I feel Hartlepool coukd do more harm though, the team arent doing great, and if they sign Ched, the fans may go against the team, and with the teams Low Mirale
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was always going to hapoen a Ream who arent having the Greatest of Times. See a player who will probaly score.

If Hartlepool do sogn him, be interesting to see how fans public react, and How Jeff Stelling approaches it on Soccer Saturday.

I feel Hartlepool coukd do more harm though, the team arent doing great, and if they sign Ched, the fans may go against the team, and with the teams Low Mirale

Hits the ground running, scores a few goals early on they will forgive him. Guaranteed.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news, it would be a good move for both.

I think it would be best if this went through.

Not signing him sends completely the wrong message.

Far as I'm aware he's out on license having completed most of his sentence, he should be able to get on with his life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it would be best if this went through.

Not signing him sends completely the wrong message.

Far as I'm aware he's out on license having completed most of his sentence, he should be able to get on with his life.

I fully agree. I think there is a good chance of it happening, Hartlepool need him just as much as he needs them.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess Hartkepol see it as Sign Ched, we have a chance of Staying up, or go down to Vanarama Conference
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh great my hometown. Why!. I wouldn't want to go to a match with him in it. No chance.:(:(>:(
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hartlepool MP is already voicing against it, another supposed Liberal.

I started out with this months ago, quite disgusted by Evans, but that has now been superceded by the disappointment at some of public figures, sounding akin to meathead neanderthals, relentlessly going to every length possible to prevent somebody who has served his sentence, integrating back into society.

Yet curiously, not doing this with any of the other similar examples past or present and more alarmingly forcing them into any number of other trades, which come without a fraction of the monitoring and exposure that football would.

If his licence allows it, it may be better for all parties if he went to Europe, as I cannot even imagine that him going to a semi pro, or even amateur Conference North side wouldnt be met with the same hostility, even with him not being paid.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Very disappointing from Hartlepool but i suppose they are desperate enough to go for Ched. The guy got a very weak sentence which he didn't serve more than half of so i don't think justice has been served. Football teams should wait until his full sentence time has passed before taking him on at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    Very disappointing from Hartlepool but i suppose they are desperate enough to go for Ched. The guy got a very weak sentence which he didn't serve more than half of so i don't think justice has been served. Football teams should wait until his full sentence time has passed before taking him on at all.
    I personally think that he will have to show the patience of a saint not to risk being sent back to prison. I would be very surprised if the PC brigade won't be shouting in his face, abusing him, spitting at him and maybe even throwing things at him. If he can come through that without retaliating, and unscathed and show what he can do on the field he would be a lot better man than me.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I personally think that he will have to show the patience of a saint not to risk being sent back to prison. I would be very surprised if the PC brigade won't be shouting in his face, abusing him, spitting at him and maybe even throwing things at him. If he can come through that without retaliating, and unscathed and show what he can do on the field he would be a lot better man than me.

Oh please if it's PC to think he got off lightly for rape while the victim is in hiding for LIFE then the "PC brigade" got this right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh please if it's PC to think he got off lightly for rape while the victim is in hiding for LIFE then the "PC brigade" got this right.

Don't want to go over old ground but there is controversy over wether he did rape her or not. Plenty of convincing arguments suggesting he did, plenty of convincing arguments suggesting he did not. It depends on what your opinion is. In the opinion of the jury that was the important one he was found guilty.

They say that she is terrified for her life. Dont think somehow she is having to live life looking over her shoulder like Jamie Bulger murderer is. The media can tend to exaggerate occasionally you know.
  • Options
    Forum Member

He received the standard sentence for rape and has served the custodial part of his sentence. If you think his sentence was lenient you should take it up with Parliament, but as it stands he has every right to resume his career.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ridiculous hyperbole, Daniel. Most of us agree that he should be allowed to return to his profession, but there's no need to start constructing some idea of him as a hard done by stray waif. He'll get a ribbing off the opposition fans, but, to apply a dash of hyperbole myself, I don't think people are going to start attempting to flog him in the centre circle!

Nice to know you have such a low opinion of yourself that you'd consider a convicted rapist to be a better man than you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous hyperbole, Daniel. Most of us agree that he should be allowed to return to his profession, but there's no need to start constructing some idea of him as a hard done by stray waif. He'll get a ribbing off the opposition fans, but, to apply a dash of hyperbole myself, I don't think people are going to start attempting to flog him in the centre circle!

Nice to know you have such a low opinion of yourself that you'd consider a convicted rapist to be a better man than you.

Thought you might appear. Never said he was hard done by. I just said he will have to go through a very tough ordeal. What I meant was if, he could come through what he is going to go through he will be a better man than me. He will have to show a strength of character that is beyond me. I have previously stated on this thread that what he did was morally reprehensible. But our prison system is about rehabilitation regardless of what crime you commited.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought you might appear. Never said he was hard done by. I just said he will have to go through a very tough ordeal. What I meant was if, he could come through what he is going to go through he will be a better man than me. He will have to show a strength of character that is beyond me. I have previously stated on this thread that what he did was morally reprehensible. But our prison system is about rehabilitation regardless of what crime you commited.

Well, that's certainly a very different way of wording things. Well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok than thanks for that;-)
  • Options
    Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah because it's so easy to move on after you've been raped...

A lot easier than being in a box 6ft under the ground, the point I'm making is they are both crimes and both have victims, I'm not going into the case as with most posts on here we will go round in circles.
    I can sympathise with what you have gone through but as I have said before you have two players who went on to do some sort of football career after their crime, if Evans goes to Hartlepool and scores a ton of goals and some how keeps them up, would another club then look at him or is he destined for League 2 football for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see it happening, since the club has at least one high profile celebrity fan in Jeff Stelling, so he'll likely be used as the go-to person for outrage, followed by MP Iain Wright.

If Evans isn't willing to try his luck abroad with a lower level european club then he really needs to get the word out through the agent i assume he still has that he won't be listening to any offers until after his appeal is heard.

It'll stop this media circus appearing every time a club expresses an interest in him for one thing.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like how that Hartlepool MP is referring to Football as some extraordinary job; if a person has the ability to play football, and are a hired professional within that field - It's just a job.

Ched Evans has done his time and is free to seek employment. There is no point in having a legal system, if we're imposing life sentences beyond the court, as it makes the system redundant. Especially, when they're unrelated to his crime.