trivial things that annoy you about football

Comments

• big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    I really dont like nicknames on the back of shirts.

like "hulk" or "chicharito" etc

I don't really like names on the back of shirts full stop, but of course they're there to make money. They aren't necessary, though, as all the ref needs is the number of the player if he puts them in the book.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    On a similar note - managers black and white pole opposite opinions on the same incident.

Ok, we know they have to defend their team and stick up for them and they're going to want to get decisions in their favour but sometimes you just have to laugh when they defend something that was obvious.
    fluffed wrote: »
    Managers 'not seeing things' in post match interviews. I think Wenger started this ages ago, but now they are all at it. Massive game changing foul/penalty/sending off/horror tackle/dive.. didn't see it, yea right.
    Very true but they have eyes of a hawk when the massive game changing incident goes against them.

I also hate how un gracious managers are in regard to bad decisions. Get a shocking decision in their favour they say 'it's first time we had any luck go for us this season'
    When go against them they always claim to being victimised by the referees .
    The fact is over the cause of the season these things tend to even themselves out.
    Be nice if just occasionally a manager would say that, after getting a bad decision against them.
    Poyet did say that yesterday but that's becuase his team got a soft pen that the oppo manager thought should have been a yellow card for a dive :D
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who say that players who concede a penalty should only be punished with a yellow. If that happened, then you'd have an instance of what Luis Suarez did in the Uruguay-Ghana game in 2010 in most games, with the player doing it knowing they won't get sent off and the opposition may not score the penalty.

(Note: This will be scrapped if they introduce a penalty goal to counter this, similar to the penalty try system used by both codes of rugby.)
  • Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poyet did say that yesterday but that's becuase his team got a soft pen that the oppo manager thought should have been a yellow card for a dive :D
    That was because those events happened in the same game(they may have short term memory's but not that short) if Sunderland had that dodgy penalty decision go their way a week before I guarantee Poyet would have been spitting nails at not getting the handball decision.

Another slight annoyance of mine about football is that refs seem to deliberately make up for one bad decision against a team by ruling another decision in their favour.
    Last year the ref over looked a Foul by Carrol on the Liverpool goal keeper and letting the goal stand. Immediately after, he awarded a very dodgy penalty to Liverpool. He was over 30 yards away and none of his assistants, who were better placed flagged. Can't complain in terms of fairness of result but you want to feel that compensating errors are due to honest mistakes by the officials. Not deliberate contrivance by the ref to compensate for a previous blatant error
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refs not apologising for blatantly wrong decisions.

Shouldnt have to apologize for making mistakes, its an incredibly difficult job. Let the pundits like Alan Greene or any of the small team managers who are always blaming them have a go at it and see how they get on..
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    It's annoying when fans of big clubs like Liverpool criticise non-local fans, particularly foreign fans, including fellow Liverpool fans, simply for not being from Liverpool. Those foreigners who you criticise for having never been to Anfield have put a lot of money into the club to bring successes that you also enjoy. They're the reason we got to enjoy Suárez last season.

Even more annoying is that they're fine with foreign/non-local players/managers, at least as long as they're good enough, but you can't be foreign/non-local and support the club?

You also can't criticise a fan of another club for not being local to their club since we also have non-local fans that play a massive part in funding the club. It doesn't matter if a Man United fan is from London or a Liverpool fan is from India. Unless they've switched teams due to some success then they're just as much of a fan as the local. There are also foreign fans who go to some games, including home games, when they can. And that can't be cheap.

Great post, completely agree. I don't get the mentality of that sort of fan at all.
  • JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If then was now.
    "We were robbed!" fumed the manager of Bon Accord. "The first 35 were offside and the last one never crossed the line. If it hadn't have been for that flipping linesman ....."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refs being on first name terms with the players in the premier league. I know the reasoning behind it but don't agree with it. When premier league teams play none premier league teams in the FA cup it breeds resentment from the none premier league teams,

I always think familiarity breeds contempt . I played football at amateur level and there were some refs who would laugh and joke with you before the game, and even call you by your Christian name, but once it started I was number 4 or number 6 in his eyes. That sort of divide made you respect the refs authority more. I believe That the ashley cole incident , where he refused to face the ref when been given a yellow card , would not have happened if that divide between refs and players existed.

Same as the incident with Adam lalana. No way would the ref had said you changed since you played for England(which Lalana took offence to). He would have been conditioned to keep the divide between player and ref and keep the matey banter to a minimum.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Shouldnt have to apologize for making mistakes, its an incredibly difficult job. Let the pundits like Alan Greene or any of the small team managers who are always blaming them have a go at it and see how they get on..

And what the pundits seem to forget is that the referee only gets one look - in real time - to make a decision whilst they can see slow motion footage numerous times.
    Forum Member
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Then players shouldn't have to apologise for bad tackles
    Managers shouldn't have to apologise for post match comments
    etc.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,888
    Forum Member
    How about players who we all know are dirty sods who commit a wild tackle, get sent off and then their managers say they 'aren't that type of player'?
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about players who we all know are dirty sods who commit a wild tackle, get sent off and then their managers say they 'aren't that type of player'?

is that a quote from harry?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,888
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    is that a quote from harry?

No it wasn't.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daft idea that when an attacker goes down in the box it must be a penalty OR a yellow card for simulation. Er..... maybe he just fell over or ref can't be 100% either way?
    A player who very clearly got the last touch before a ball goes out putting their hand up to claim the throw for their team.
    Fact you can get booked for raising your foot about a 1' off the floor EXCEPT if your foot is more than 6' off the floor and swinging at 100mph and mere millimetres from opponents head/eye/throat in the execution of a "bicycle kick".
    Forum Member
    Boselecta wrote: »
    A player who very clearly got the last touch before a ball goes out putting their hand up to claim the throw for their team.
    It make you wonder about the morality of some people/players when they will easily lie becuase they want their team to win.

A good example is when a ball goes over the line and the keeper grabs it back and then starts shaking his finger and head to protest that it didn't go over when it obviously did.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It make you wonder about the morality of some people/players when they will easily lie becuase they want their team to win.

A good example is when a ball goes over the line and the keeper grabs it back and then starts shaking his finger and head to protest that it didn't go over when it obviously did.

It's all about winning at all costs. Morality goes out the window.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd make a rule that, if you want to dive, you must have first appeared on 'strictly come dancing'.

Come on Equity, get off your backsides and throw all those amateurs out of the game, it is really bad pantomime.
    :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The constant simulation.

I really think that if a player is proven beyond all reasonable doubt to have either cheated, dived, or simulated injury, bring fouled, feigning injury, they should be given an automatic 5 match ban.

Also all the fouling and grappling that takes place at corners. Refs say if they gave a penalty for every offence committed by the defence at corners they would be giving 6 or 7 penalties every match. Why don't they than? It would stop the offence happening.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually what annoys me is when a not that kind of player commits a really dirty dangerous tackle and there are a queue of apologists moaning that he really isn't that kind of player.

So,that near leg breaker is brushed away because you didn't really see that dirty challenge from that he's not a dirty player kind of player.>:(
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    The constant simulation.

I really think that if a player is proven beyond all reasonable doubt to have either cheated, dived, or simulated injury, bring fouled, feigning injury, they should be given an automatic 5 match ban.
    A start would to replace the yellow with a red for 'simulation' - i.e. cheating.

A red card for diving in the box - I'd love that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    A start would to replace the yellow with a red for 'simulation' - i.e. cheating.

A red card for diving in the box - I'd love that.

You have made a fair point.
    In terms of simulation I think should be similar to off the ball incident picked up by the camera. Sometimes it's hard for the ref to see clearly wether it was a dive or not. So I think potential incidences should be reviewed and if the perpetrator is found guilty beyond all reasonable doubt he should be suspended for 5 games,

Do you remember Robbie fowler telling the ref it was not a penalty when he dived?
    I personally believe that he did that because he thought he might get a second yellow card for diving. Not because he was such an honest man.

I guarantee you if players thought they would get a five game suspension for diving they would automatically stop it regardless if they got sent off or not.
    Forum Member
    Trivially annoying but also amusing is when a player goes down like they've been shot, rolling around 'apparently' injured and then get miffed when the manager subs them - presumably because they don't want to risk further injury.

Danny Alves last night was a prime example :D
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When a referee will add on (say) 4 minutes of extra time and allow for 2 substitutions, a goal and a playing-for-time injury stoppage, all occurring after 90 minutes, and the game ends with 94:13 on the clock
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure these have already been mentioned but whatever:

- Wages

- Ticket Prices

- Hype of the Premier League

- The ott media hype for games, "Super Sunday" Hull vs Sunderland (for example) wow, that is super...

- Sky Sports and the Jan transfer window

- Players surrounding the referee (I feel that only the captain should talk to the referee, unless the ref wants/has to talk to another player

- Players staying down so the referee stops the game (play on, make it like rugby, if they need a stretcher, then stop play)

- Players taking their time during substitutions, throw-in's etc...

- Players nicking yards during throw-in's

- Defenders go up for a corner only for the corner taker to play it short and lose the ball

- No Safe standing

I'm sure there are many more I can't think of.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is only a small thing, but free-kicks not being taken from the spot from where the foul was committed, is one that really gets on my nerves.

You see the player get the ball and just throw it forward a few yards, that is not right in my mind.

Same goes for throw-ins, you see the player taking one, March right up the pitch, the referee should get his spray can out and mark where it should be taken from.