Options

Football Stadiums

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
You ve got to hand it to football....... it gets great crowd attendance
often of freezing winter nights..........

1 Manchester Utd... 75,336
2 Arsenal................. 59,997
3 Newcastle Utd.... 51,021
4 Manchester City 45,521
5 Liverpool ........... 44,673
6 Sunderland........ 42,795
7 Chelsea ............ 41,547

Average attendance figures..............

Funny that Chelsea are ruling the prem league right now but their
ground capacity is puny compared to Man U

Comments

• Options
    Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »

4 Manchester City 45,521

At premier league level they get more or less full houses week on week. At championship level especially up north the stadiums seem to be half empty. I remember seeing a Blackburn v burnley derby., and the stadium was 2/3 full at most. Very strange for such a heated rivalry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big up to the Geordies....... 51,000 plus avg attendance... !!!

They ve been awesome supporters through thin and thin....

lets hope they get into the top 4 in the league this year and then get to Wembley for the FA cup
    ( if only for the semis ! )

They deserve some silverware in the cabinet .
  • Options
    Daniel_GleeballDaniel_Gleeball Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big up to the Geordies....... 51,000 plus avg attendance... !!!

They ve been awesome supporters through thin and thin....

lets hope they get into the top 4 in the league this year and then get to Wembley for the FA cup
    ( if only for the semis ! )

They deserve some silverware in the cabinet .

Very true. Home and away Newcastle have a very loyal following. That's always been the case. I remember going back almost 20 years watching them at Selhurst park against Wimbledon. It really was a home fixture for them in all but name.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many clubs count season ticket and sold matchday tickets seats in attendance figures even they don't turn up for the game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IM SURE Chelsea attendance would be way more than 41,500

must be the ground size thats keeping the figure so low
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member

Indeed, Sherlock :)
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With such clever deduction skills, your local CID could use you.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    At what level can you just turn up and pay to get in these days?

Some recent personal experiences -
    I wanted to go to a Fulham PL home game last season and tried to book it beforehand and could not get in - when I saw it on MOTD there were empty spaces. Season ticket holders not attending?
    That day I went to Watford instead and even for them I had to book by phone 2 days before and pick up my tickets on the day.
    I went to Crawley 18 months ago and did just turn up on the day with no prior warning and was able to get in altho even there I had to queue for tickets and then queue again with said ticket to get in.

Liverpool is a nightmare but now I have joined my local supporters club they often text me saying they have spare tickets for games - this season as they are playing so bad that has happened more :D - if I do go the tickets often have a name on but not mine but there is no way of checking that. I was told by someone that they were number 22000odd on the season ticket waiting list which shows what the demand is like - but I do wish they did not give so many to corporates and the like. Almost always the stadium is full and prob still will be even with the expended capacity altho if they carry on like they are doing on the pitch who knows!!

Villa looks one of the least crowded PL grounds - for most games it does not look full to capacity - any Villa fans tell us how hard getting in there is?

I just wonder if even at Div 2 level you can just turn up - or does it vary from club to club? In 1986 I completed an ambition to have been to a game at all 92 grounds but in those days at almost every ground you could just turn up and pay. Even now I like to see grounds and always visit grounds of new clubs to the league like Fleetwood, Stevenage, Crawley., Morecombe, Burton, Accrington, MK Dons, Dagenham ...etc altho for many I just saw and photographed the grounds and did not go to a match there - I have been to a match at Crawley, Morecombe, Accrington and Dagenham (and did not book at any of them) but not the others named.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    They have less games but NFL attendances are much higher.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Half the number of pro teams. 6 times the population. Often only 1 team per city.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Half the number of pro teams. 6 times the population. Often only 1 team per city.

Fair points, just saying like. There is far more NFL on tv as well which counters it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Man City stadium looks great but the seats are built at such a low angle
    cant see it being that great for the spectator

Arsenals stadium looks great but why did they put , what ..30 feet between the
    goal posts and the start of the stands ?

Man U have got it right

Maybe a City fan will post about being at both stadiums
  • Options
    Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

4 Manchester City 45,521

:confused:

Well done to those clubs to place a football stadium in a city with a big population and then get big crowds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hang on........ Liverpool have got two big clubs,
    Manchester have two.......
    Sheffiield have two,
    Brummie have two
    London have 3 or 4

How come a football mad city like Newcastle ... only have one ?
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheffiield have two,
    Brummie have two
    London have 3 or 4

It's not a particularly large city and there's Sunderland and Middlesbrough very close by. That said, there are plenty of smaller cities with two clubs, I guess the geordies were just much happier to pool their resources..:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who 's gonna kick off................... Newcastle City ?
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a particularly large city and there's Sunderland and Middlesbrough very close by. That said, there are plenty of smaller cities with two clubs, I guess the geordies were just much happier to pool their resources..:)

There was also Gateshead and South Shields in that part of the world where they used to have football league teams however I think Gateshead were formed when South Shields folded before WW2, before they themselves went out of the league.

I think London has around 14 league teams, most who have played in the top flight at some time during their existence, as well as a number of ones that do not exist anymore (e.g Thames, who had a stadium that could hold over 120,000 people!).
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sheffiield have two,
    Brummie have two
    London have 3 or 4

If Leeds were not united, they would have at least 2
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    There was also Gateshead and South Shields in that part of the world where they used to have football league teams however I think Gateshead were formed when South Shields folded before WW2, before they themselves went out of the league.

I think London has around 14 league teams, most who have played in the top flight at some time during their existence, as well as a number of ones that do not exist anymore (e.g Thames, who had a stadium that could hold over 120,000 people!).

Interesting stuff.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arsenals stadium looks great but why did they put , what ..30 feet between the
    goal posts and the start of the stands ?

So the guy waving the flag when the Arsenal score doesn't decapitate the front row.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah , Leeds is another..... one club city ...

Who s gonna kick off ....... Leeds City .... ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Liverpool could do with a rich oil sheik backer who could build them
    a 70,000 seater stadium

They d fill it ........... and with the extra revenue they would rule the Prem League

( just like they did in the 1970s )
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dallas usually averages at about 80,000 (highest in the NFL)...but look at College football and Michigan State who average about 110,000.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Dallas usually averages at about 80,000 (highest in the NFL)...but look at College football and Michigan State who average about 110,000.

Green Bay Packers are probably kings of the season ticket waiting list though, it's 30+ years and there is a tradition there of putting babies on it the moment they are born...

Getting tickets for NFL is easy... if you can pay. Official reselling of tickets is completely acceptable there. The NFL emailed me the week before the last Superbowl saying I could buy official tickets/travel for it, if I had the $10,000+ each they were charging for them. (They weren't corporate seats either, just standard seating)
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching a bit of College football recently on ESPN. I was amazed at the attendances they get for what is their equivalent of the Championship. The atmosphere a lot better as well.

Whenever I watch the football league show the attendances are mostly shocking with loads of empty seats.

Birmingham have four relatively big clubs btw. Villa, Wolves, WBA and Birmingham City*.

*Ok stretching it with them but it's still a hot-bed of football is the West Midlands.