cake tin overflowing.....!!!

CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok then so the other day I followed a Mary Berry recipe for a lemon drizzle cake for a 1lb tin, worked fine. 1 and a half.5 large eggs, 3oz butter/sr flour/sugar, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, plus lemon zest.
Trying this morning with a 2lb tin, doubling up the quantities caused it to overflow the tin quite a bit so the top then collapsed.
I assume I shouldn`t have doubled up, but what should the quantities be?!

Comments

• maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cakes aren't my forte, but I do remember reading some where, at some point if you want a bigger cake, bake more layers.

Cakes are chemistry sensitive. All the lifters - eggs, air, baking powder/soda + acids interacting with the rest of the batter's ingredients to make up the final volume. You MIGHT have got away with increasing by half, rather than double without the calamity, but I wouldn't be willing to say with 100% certainty.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you
    Googling for 2lb tin recipes does suggest that I should have increased by half, not doubled...!
    Happily I had a baking tray on a lower shelf which acted as a drip tray...!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Thank you
    Googling for 2lb tin recipes does suggest that I should have increased by half, not doubled...!
    Happily I had a baking tray on a lower shelf which acted as a drip tray...!

yeah, you do not double, it do not work that way, also the larger the cake the longer it takes to cook and you may need to lower the temperature down a bit so it will cook indie before the outside.
    It is all about trial and error,
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Better to make two cakes than doubling imo.

The way cakes cook is quite a precise process, so for example when you make a big rich christmas cake you've got to insulate the bottom and sides with many layers of greaseproof and even brown paper to prevent the outside burning before the inside is cooked.

Your cake collapsed because the middle of the cake was probably uncooked.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was as though all the middle had bubbled over the side! Christmas cakes now those I can do, as you say, protected with tons of paper and cooked on a low light for ages.... moving into Sponges - ie Precision Bakery - is proving a challenge!