Which is better a internal rewriter or external rewriter?

c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
Forum Member
Hi everyone,

My internal rewriter just recently died on me.
I've just bought a new internal rewriter to replace the old one and I'm having second thoughts about it.
I was wondering which one was better a internal rewriter or a external rewriter?
Also if I go for the internal rewriter how do I install it?

Comments

• neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The internal is very very easy to replace. Two different leads go into the back of the drive, you cannot make an error. Its just a matter of taking off the case, un-doing a couple of screws on the old drive, put the new drive in, re-screw, connect the leads and away you go; five minute job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a cd/dvd rewriter? It will make no difference whether it's internal or external.

It's difficult to tell you how to connect an internal drive; you will need to open up your pc case, disconnect the existing drive (making a note of the wires used), slide it out, put the new drive into the same place and use the same wires to connect it.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiggs wrote: »
    Is this a cd/dvd rewriter? It will make no difference whether it's internal or external.

It's difficult to tell you how to connect an internal drive; you will need to open up your pc case, disconnect the existing drive (making a note of the wires used), slide it out, put the new drive into the same place and use the same wires to connect it.

See post No2
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But before you buy a new internal drive you need to ensure one of two things.

1/ The new drive has the same connector format as the existing drive.

or

2/ The motherboard has a spare connector if the new drive uses a different connector format.

The two formats you are likely to see on the back of the existing drive are either SATA or IDE. The power connectors for each are also different. IDE uses a wide ribbon cable about 5cm or so across while SATA uses a much thinner cable less than a cm across.

The two formats are incompatible with each other. So you either need to match the new to the old exactly or check to see if the motherboard has a free connector of the appropriate type you can use. SATA is the modern replacement for IDE but most recent motherboards ought to have a couple of SATA sockets at least.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

or

2/ The motherboard has a spare connector if the new drive uses a different connector format.

The two formats you are likely to see on the back of the existing drive are either SATA or IDE. The power connectors for each are also different. IDE uses a wide ribbon cable about 5cm or so across while SATA uses a much thinner cable less than a cm across.

The two formats are incompatible with each other. So you either need to match the new to the old exactly or check to see if the motherboard has a free connector of the appropriate type you can use. SATA is the modern replacement for IDE but most recent motherboards ought to have a couple of SATA sockets at least.

Have disc drives switched to SATA? I thought IDE was still the norm for them.
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member

or

Sorry and I didn't mean to be rude but I didn't understand any of that.

Is a external easier to install?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c0bo wrote: »
    Sorry and I didn't mean to be rude but I didn't understand any of that.

Is a external easier to install?
    It is very simple. There are two cables in the back of any drive you install in a PC. One carries the data to and from the drive the other supplies power to the drive.

There are two formats for these connections. SATA and IDE. You cannot plug a SATA drive into a IDE cable or a IDE drive into a SATA cable. They are physically as well as electrically incompatible.

So it is essential when fitting an internal drive to make sure you have the right connectors. Otherwise you will not be able to swap the old for new.

As I said this could be by making sure the two drives have identical connectors or the motherboard of the PC has the appropriate connectors.

But if you still cannot understand a word of that then perhaps trying to install an internal drive won't be your best option.

At least with an external drive you don't have to worry about SATA and IDE. It just plugs into a spare USB port. And of course no need to get intimate with the insides of your PC either.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    I've installed a SATA DVD writer in my own PC. That was 18 months or so ago.
    Forum Member
    It is very simple. There are two cables in the back of any drive you install in a PC. One carries the data to and from the drive the other supplies power to the drive.

There are two formats for these connections. SATA and IDE. You cannot plug a SATA drive into a IDE cable or a IDE drive into a SATA cable. They are physically as well as electrically incompatible.

So it is essential when fitting an internal drive to make sure you have the right connectors. Otherwise you will not be able to swap the old for new.

As I said this could be by making sure the two drives have identical connectors or the motherboard of the PC has the appropriate connectors.

But if you still cannot understand a word of that then perhaps trying to install an internal drive won't be your best option.

At least with an external drive you don't have to worry about SATA and IDE. It just plugs into a spare USB port. And of course no need to get intimate with the insides of your PC either.:)
    Perhaps your right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps your right.

Go for external simplicity in itself for you no messing in the case you would be better off and just install the burning software unless you already have one you like.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member

Haven't had an IDE disc drive for about 5 years.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't had an IDE disc drive for about 5 years.

About 2 1/2 for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although disc drives don't need the higher bandwidth of SATA, I guess it's a good thing as means motherboards don't need to have both types anymore.

OP, advantage of internal is it's a neater solution, doesn't occupy any of your USB bus capacity, doesn't need a separate power socket and should be cheaper.

Advantages of external are - easier to install, portable and can use with several devices. An external disc drive was very handy to me a few years ago in reviving a PC that refused to boot from either the HDD or internally fitted disc drive.
    Forum Member
    Although disc drives don't need the higher bandwidth of SATA, I guess it's a good thing as means motherboards don't need to have both types anymore.

OP, advantage of internal is it's a neater solution, doesn't occupy any of your USB bus capacity, doesn't need a separate power socket and should be cheaper.

Advantages of external are - easier to install, portable and can use with several devices. An external disc drive was very handy to me a few years ago in reviving a PC that refused to boot from either the HDD or internally fitted disc drive.
    Yes I have found that the internals are cheaper.

I prefer the internal as it cheaper and looks neat but the problem I have with the internal is as a person who hasn't got a clue about computers I would find it hard installing it into the computer because all have you to is open up the computer to install it and I'm afraid that once I'm inside the computer I might do something wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No a disc drive is really easy for people who are frightened because you don't have to go anywhere near the motherboard where all the more fragile type components are.

A disc drive has only two cables - a power cable and a data cable. Just open up your PC and have a look. If you don't touch anything, you can't have done any damage right?

Any good website like amazon and ebuyer will sell them. You just unplug the old drive, unscrew it or unclip depending on how it's secured to the case and replace with the new one, plug in cables and screws/clips and that's it.

People are talking about SATA/IDE - this refers to the data cable type used. Just take out your old drive and see if the data cable is wide or small. Wide = IDE, small = SATA. simples. Then buy the appropriate drive.

For someone who is scared about damaging their PC, replacing the disc drive is probably the safest change you can make to your PC.
    Forum Member
    No a disc drive is really easy for people who are frightened because you don't have to go anywhere near the motherboard where all the more fragile type components are.

A disc drive has only two cables - a power cable and a data cable. Just open up your PC and have a look. If you don't touch anything, you can't have done any damage right?

Any good website like amazon and ebuyer will sell them. You just unplug the old drive, unscrew it or unclip depending on how it's secured to the case and replace with the new one, plug in cables and screws/clips and that's it.

People are talking about SATA/IDE - this refers to the data cable type used. Just take out your old drive and see if the data cable is wide or small. Wide = IDE, small = SATA. simples. Then buy the appropriate drive.

For someone who is scared about damaging their PC, replacing the disc drive is probably the safest change you can make to your PC.
    Thanks.
    Are installing DVD rewriters the same?
    How ddo open a computer up?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
    Are installing DVD rewriters the same?
    How ddo open a computer up?

If you know nothing about computers, I'd advise you not to go replacing anything. Why not just get the computer shop to install it for you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    internal (sata) will run between 3-6 gb /s
    usb2 will only run 480mb /s
    you can see how much better internal is.
    a pc shop will not charge much for this, it is so simple, can be completed in under 5mins.
    check out videos on youtube or the numerous guides available for this sort of thing.
    as long as you ground from the static electricity and do not force connections then nothing can really go wrong.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    If you know nothing about computers, I'd advise you not to go replacing anything. Why not just get the computer shop to install it for you?

Will PC World install it for you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, go to the technical desk.
    try different places though and get some quotes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will PC World install it for you?

I would not even recommend my worst enemy go to PC World for this sort of job! Much better to find a good independent retailer.

Or just buy a USB drive and be done with it.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find an external very handy. Especially useful if you also occasionally need to install stuff on netbooks.
    Forum Member
    I would not even recommend my worst enemy go to PC World for this sort of job! Much better to find a good independent retailer.

Or just buy a USB drive and be done with it.

Are PC world really that bad.

But won't I have to use a cd install it onto the computer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No CD install required. Not on a modern OS like Vista or 7 anyway...
    Forum Member
    No CD install required. Not on a modern OS like Vista or 7 anyway...

Thanks