Options

Horror Film Recommendations

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    is it in English and the Orphange..I cant stand foriegn films :o

Have you not watched any 'foreign' horror then? You are missing out on some of the best horror films of the last 10 years.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no horror movie fan really. Can't stand the suspense and jumps myself, but can't believe nobody has mentioned Scream.

It brought horror back to the mainstream and I doubt very much that many of the horrors you see today would have existed without it. I think many people forget that after the 80's there wasn't really anything until Wes Craven made this. Some would say it brought the genre back from the dead!
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 of my favourites:

Wolf Creek
    Frenzy
    Theatre of Blood
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Eden Lake
    Inside
    The Last House on the Left (2009)
    Fronteirs
    Saw series
    FD series
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original, remake & the Beginning)
    Scream trilogy
    Halloween
    Macabre (Indonesion film similar to Texas Chainsaw)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unknown17 wrote: »
    The Loved Ones is amazing.
    Few votes for this movie here - I thought it was just tedious - nothing we haven't seen before, but in better movies; but then I have been around the horror block a few times!
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 of my favourites:

Wolf Creek
    Frenzy
    Theatre of Blood

I always laugh at the scene where Vincent Price cuts off Athur Lowes head and when the maid or is it wife tries to wake him his head rolls off the bed ! :D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    I always laugh at the scene where Vincent Price cuts off Athur Lowes head and when the maid or is it wife tries to wake him his head rolls off the bed ! :D

That's pretty memorable-and the bit just after, when the press have fitted his head on a milk bottle to photograph it :eek::D! It was actually an incredibly realistic replica head, I though, which made the scene all the more ghoulish!

I think the death scene of the critic played by Robert Morley was the most memorable, though! He was the one with the poodles.....
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    So anyone seen Husk? I've just watched it. I rented it judging by the trailer as I thought it looked good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unbK-jpk6Q0

I thought it was quite good. Considering it's an unknown film (not that it matters, it's just quite a few of' unheard' of horrors I've seen haven't been great) it was better than I thought it would be. Some parts were a bit confusing, but overall I enjoyed it.

I watched Primal the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pah2u9AXsHU

It was ok, was hoping it'd be better. The idea was good I think, just didn't come across that way.

Some other films I've got on order from LoveFilm are....

Paranormal Activity 2
    Saw VII
    Altitude
    And Soon the Darkness
    Frontiers
    I Spit On Your Grave (Remake)
    Let Me In
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salem's Lot (the original) :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    ok, here's a few suggestions

Classics - Dawn of the Dead (1978)

You have to see it, it's an unwritten law. Try to get a version that has both Romero's and Argento's edits.

New wave - Splinter (2008)

I just loved it... watch it, you'll thank yourself afterwards

Zomcoms - 3 way tie Shaun of the Dead (2004) ,Fido (2006) and Zombieland (2009)

all brilliantly funny with inspired casting of lead actors.

Foreign - La Horde (2009)

Best with english subs in the original french, but this is one of the few films I have seen with a decent english dub.Truly a tour de force.

WTF - tied - Mutant Vampire Zombies From The Hood (2008) and Hobo with a Shotgun (2011)
    MVZFTH is just so out there that despite being bad it's actually a decent watch. and it's recently been released on DVD under the new title " The Undead", available at a supermarket near you ... cheap.

HWAS is basically Death Wish on Crystal Meth... Who knew Rutger Hauer still had it?

that's all for now....enjpy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    ok, here's a few suggestions

Classics - Dawn of the Dead (1978)

You have to see it, it's an unwritten law. Try to get a version that has both Romero's and Argento's edits.

New wave - Splinter (2008)

I just loved it... watch it, you'll thank yourself afterwards

Zomcoms - 3 way tie Shaun of the Dead (2004) ,Fido (2006) and Zombieland (2009)

all brilliantly funny with inspired casting of lead actors.

Foreign - La Horde (2009)

Best with english subs in the original french, but this is one of the few films I have seen with a decent english dub.Truly a tour de force.

WTF - tied - Mutant Vampire Zombies From The Hood (2008) and Hobo with a Shotgun (2011)
    MVZFTH is just so out there that despite being bad it's actually a decent watch. and it's recently been released on DVD under the new title " The Undead", available at a supermarket near you ... cheap.

HWAS is basically Death Wish on Crystal Meth... Who knew Rutger Hauer still had it?

that's all for now....enjpy

What about Dead Snow , a NaziZomCom :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    Ravenous is a great film.
    It falls to pieces at the end, doesn't it?
    Shame. Great movie up to that point. Good soundtrack too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Candyman - not only is it as tense as hell, but it's actually about something, and it makes a change from a bunch of suburban teenagers getting bumped off one by one.
    And it's got a great Philip Glass soundtrack.

And Theatre of Blood. That does have the traditional formulaic series of murders where a group of victims is bumped off one by one, and in parts it is very hammy, but it has this peculiar and quite touching Shakespearean blend of comedy and tragedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I'm not a big fan of gore at all, more the psychological type of horror, so I would recommend the following (originals, not remakes):

Shutter
    Chakushin Ari (One Missed Call)
    Prince of Darkness (very old film)
    The Changeling

I have many faves, but those are the ones that actually creeped me out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Something different: Reykjavik whale watching massacre - Icelandic movie :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1075749/

http://shopicelandic.com/en/store/reykjavik-whale-watching-massacre-dvd
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Horde. French zombie flick.

It's flawed in parts but the moment the zombies come to 'ife' for the first time is one of the scariest things in horror movies. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBlFJIherNQ&feature=related
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R Point
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-Point

A Tale Of Two Sisters
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_tale_of_two_sisters

Ju-on

Then start looking at the old black and white classics such as

The Innocents
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Innocents_%28film%29
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the flms in this series are only OK, but Final Destination 2 is rather good.
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well first post...So here goes
    I can thoroughly recommend "Dead of Night" an Ealing film from the forties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I'm not a big fan of gore at all, more the psychological type of horror, so I would recommend the following (originals, not remakes):

Yeah, I'm not a fan of slasher/gore flicks (I don't mind them, they're just not scary) and torture horror (hostel/saw) either.

Nothing beats Asian cinema when it comes to psychological horror.

My favs are:

Ju-on
    4bia
    Kairo
    Furai
    Audition
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like all sorts of horror, whether its gory or psychological. But ones that really freaked me out were

Carrie (original)
    The Wicker Man (original)
    Eden Lake
    Wolf Creek
    The Ring
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Insidious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Would recommend a couple of rare gems i watched this week.
    They are difficult to get hold of though...

Eyes of a Stranger -1981 Suspense/slasher/women in peril
    &
    Messiah of Evil - 1973
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    eduble wrote: »
    Insidious.

I really wanted to see that in the cinema but left it too late. It's not showing near me anymore :(.

I watched Frontiers the other day and really enjoyed that. It kinda reminded me of Martyr's, in the sense that the women really goes through hell by being captured and tortured etc.

Quite a few of the foreign horror films I've seen have been really good. It's a shame I never used to give them a chance.

I've ordered the latest Nightmare On Elm Street film. I heard it's suppose to be crap but I had to add some films to get a free rental from LoveFilm :p. Plus I've always been a fan of that Franchise so I'm sure I'll enjoy it, even if it is nothing special.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    I really wanted to see that in the cinema but left it too late. It's not showing near me anymore :(.

I watched Frontiers the other day and really enjoyed that. It kinda reminded me of Martyr's, in the sense that the women really goes through hell by being captured and tortured etc.

Quite a few of the foreign horror films I've seen have been really good. It's a shame I never used to give them a chance.

I've ordered the latest Nightmare On Elm Street film. I ,thanks heard it's suppose to be crap but I had to add some films to get a free rental from LoveFilm :p. Plus I've always been a fan of that Franchise so I'm sure I'll enjoy it, even if it is nothing special.

I keep meaning to watch frontiers, thanks for reminding me.

I quite liked this film - El rey de la montaña (King of The Hill) was pretty good imo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1085862/

Also people are saying that Mothers Day is good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1434435/