Ridiculous Freecycle Wanted Adverts

FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
Forum Member
Can you beat this one?
Hi all

My chain has broken and I am strapped for cash and not in a position to buy a
new chain. I am looking for a 9ct gold chain to wear with my gold pendant.

Please email me. I am happy to collect at any time suitable to you.

Kind regards

Comments

• scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they'll be some mug who will reply, 'i have an 18carat one', will that do ? :D
  • rasborasbo Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freecycle is so infuriating to navigate and place ads. Some of the regions seem to be on different websites. I wish it was more like Gumtree or ebay;
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Please email me. I am happy to collect at any time suitable to you."

Very considerate of them, I must say.:rolleyes:
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    There seem to be more wanted than offered ads on Freecycle and Freegle these days.

There's a series of wanted on ads on my local one at the moment, they want
    - an electric hookup
    - motorhome blinds
    - camping chairs
    - camping table
    - an awning
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I hate the fact that you can't search/explore by subject!

I had a fishtank on the other day and it went to the first person you emailed me. I then got a rather shirty email from a woman who said 'I'd had a wanted notice on for a fishtank which you obviously missed'.

So, when I put a childs swing on at the weekend, I wasn't able to search for 'Childs swing' or any other variation. I'll be buggered if I'm going to go through all the lists of wanted adds!

I do have a wanted notice on at the moment for reclaimed redbricks to build a garden wall. I can't afford the current prices and if I get a few responses trying to offload a small amount I may get at least half of what I need. I asked myself when I posted if this was a bit of a 'cheek ask'...what do you think?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still get all the digests but don't often read them now.
    For some reason I get annoyed when peope offer something and you can't just say"I'd like it please" you have to compose a reason why you really deserve it.
    Maybe that's just me being grumpy.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Someone was offering 2 packets of those Schwartz packet mixes. Who would go to someones house to pick up 2 packets of sauce mix?? I have replied to a few offers but never heard anything back off any of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    Someone was offering 2 packets of those Schwartz packet mixes. Who would go to someones house to pick up 2 packets of sauce mix?? I have replied to a few offers but never heard anything back off any of them.
    That's probably because you didn't plead properly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seen an advert just prior to Christmas asking for any unwanted booze, lager/bitter/vodka/gin anything !
    but they would have to charge for petrol to collect if further than 3 miles away !
    gotta admire their cheek if nothing else :D
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »

Well...depends what flavours they were
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whilst clearly the one mentioned by the OP is trying to pull a fast one, part of the problem is that it was allowed in the first place, or at least not been pulled.

That said "if you dont ask you dont get" and "worth a try" springs to mind.

Having given a couple of things away, im not one for sob stories, anything to sobby is going to be ignored, and if im honest short of waiting for the daily digest to come out, ill generally give the item to the first person I can work out a collection time with, but I do normally keep 1 person in reserve just in case.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    mog123 wrote: »
    For some reason I get annoyed when peope offer something and you can't just say"I'd like it please" you have to compose a reason why you really deserve it.

ditto. power trippers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate all teh sob stories too but not as much as I hate the ones who having been offered teh item, then fail to come and collect it or having collected said item can't be arsed to say "thank you"
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    As regular givers, we (wife mainly tbh) like to see reasons given so that she's able to judge who warrants it more. Someone who wants your spare PC to add to his car boot collection, or a single mother who could do with one to help her son's homework requirements? Etc.

It's easy to be dismissive and assume everybody's pulling a fast one but generally the honest ones show through and often seem genuinely pleased at being given whatever's on offer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found that when replying to an offer politeness goes a long way, I'm always polite and expect the same in return if and when I offer something.
    Any 'yeah I'll take it mate' or 'give it to me' goes straight in the bin.

Items I've received by being polite include:
    Twin axle Horse box.
    10'x8' shed.
    Table saw.
    Pair of wrought iron gates.
    18 rung double extending ladder
    Dining room table and chairs
    Large computer table/desk
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Worst ones are where they ask you to phone them…why would I want to phone them? If they want it they can deal with me via e-mail…or if I want a call I’ll ask them to call me…they can do the running round not me! LOL

Thinking about it the actual worst is when people say they are coming for something and then don’t turn up and either don’t contact you to let you know or let you know a few hours after they were due.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    Freecycle. Hmmmnnnn I put my old 32 in CRT TV on it when I got the plasma some time back. Bloke turned up and just went "Bit big innit, how am i gonna get that through my front door"
    Tw@
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a look because I had no idea what it was...Someone is asking for a pottery kiln?! We all have a spare lying around...

This is probably the most random offer...
    I have a bag of random items, including,
    Pair of size 11 trainers
    flyswat thing
    brown netted material
    2 bath/sink plugs
    Tv arial
    various shin and elbow pads for sports
    2 Giffgaff simcards
    Wallet
    pair of glasses with case

message me if interested.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    ylomyloh wrote: »
    Just had a look because I had no idea what it was...Someone is asking for a pottery kiln?! We all have a spare lying around...
    :) You can pretty much guarantee though that someone somewhere has a no longer used kiln. Ask amongst your mates & your family and it's unlikely; blat the same request out on the net and there's a good chance...

The underlying point of FC is to keep stuff out of landfill. I reckon it does a good job, and with it encourages manners. I've encountered some lovely people through it.
  • hassanhassan Posts: 3,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Can you beat this one?

That's weird, the mods usually don't allow wanted ads for expensive items because it is "rare that they will be fulfilled". I tried to place an ad for an old laptop, and they didn't allow it.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    someone in my freecycle group offered a packet of out of date hair dye the other day.

I like freecycle though. I don't have a car so it's hard to traipse into the charity shops with lots of stuff. I got rid of around 100 books via freecycle last week, which will be used for a church table top sale.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    That's probably because you didn't plead properly

Probably, I am always polite but I'm not gonna beg :D
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Another thing that bugs me is what happens after someone offers something obviously valuable & therefore popular...

e.g. "Offered: 21" computer monitor - works fine."

then a few days later "Taken: 21" computer monitor - works fine. Thanks for the quick collection"

and then the next day...

Wanted Urgently: Computer monitor - must be over 20".
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Another thing that bugs me is what happens after someone offers something obviously valuable & therefore popular...

e.g. "Offered: 21" computer monitor - works fine."

then a few days later "Taken: 21" computer monitor - works fine. Thanks for the quick collection"

and then the next day...

Wanted Urgently: Computer monitor - must be over 20".
    to be fair I once saw a wireless keyboard advertised, said I would take it, but of course I was far too late.

I did consider making a request.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hassan wrote: »
    That's weird, the mods usually don't allow wanted ads for expensive items because it is "rare that they will be fulfilled". I tried to place an ad for an old laptop, and they didn't allow it.
    I tried for a Chainsaw some weeks ago, it was disallowed. :mad:
    Maybe they thought I was considering using it for a massacre. :eek: :D