The Big Reunion - ITV2 next Thursday

Comments

• KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that final video from Liberty X when they joined their second label was horrible. Surprised they allowed for it to be shown on last nights show. Does anyone else remember VH1 Bands Reunited from a few years back that was a great show.:D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kymberly wrote: »
    Does anyone else remember VH1 Bands Reunited from a few years back that was a great show.:D

I do, i watched most of them and it's the show I immediately thought of when this was initially announced. I think the format of Bands Reunited is better, but I also like the format of this reunion because if gives you more back story.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    I remember those two songs! :)

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm surprised at 5ive's record sales. As much as I quite liked some of their songs, I don't remember them being that big. :o Maybe it's selective memory :p
    All I remember was that there seemed to be constant stories about how they weren't getting no.1s compared to Westlife (until Keep Moving).

Keep On Moving was great, Lets Dance was good too. They did well but I think Westlife definitely stormed ahead in the UK at least. Prefered Five's songs though.

I think they did hype it up a bit. They weren't quite huge overnight - their first single went in at #10 according to Wiki. And their US success was modest and very short lived. If they hadn't knocked back "Bye Bye Bye" (NSYNC's global breakthrough hit) then it might have been different I guess.

Listening to Just A Little Bit and I could imagine a modern band putting that out and getting a #1 hit with it. Great song. Never really cared for much else that they did, though.
    hansue wrote: »
    It was good to see that they have all grown into responsible adults and done quite well for themselves.

Yes they all seem to have settled down in some way. A lot of them obviously have mixed feelings about their times in the groups. Liberty X's story of just fizzling out was quite sad. Loved the guy from Five educating his young son on how hard One Direction must be working! But in those family scenes they all came across as pretty average people - who just happened to have had a crazy experience in their youth.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had previously thought that Tony from Liberty X was gay! :o

As had I.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I simply don't care enough to watch the show with those here today gone tomorrow pop bands try to reignite their music careers.
    The best reunions I have seen on TV were the Tenko reunion and the M.A.S.H. reunion where the cast sat around talking about their memories.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id love to see a s club reunion but the original ones, not those crappy junior ones.
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they do another date, as I would love too get tickets.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing that always strokes me about these shows is what a difference age makes. It was the same when they did the Take That reunion documentary years ago. The change in attitude 10 years of maturity makes is startling.
    What seemed such big deals to these bands when they were late teens/early 20's just all seems so petty to the 30 something adults they are now. That was especially reflected to me when Sean said that he would have no problem meeting J now and putting the past behind them.
    Hearing Sean speak made me quite sad though, especially when he said that all he wanted was someone to put their arm round him and say 'it's all going to be alright kid' but no one ever did. The management have to take responsibility for the mental well-being of these kids. They just seem to use them, chew them up, spit them out and leave them alone to pick of the pieces while they move on to the next lot of bright eyed wannabes.
    I do think Sean summed the whole thing up when he said 'too much, too soon, too young' and it's nice that now, as an adult man, he can now rationalise the madness
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few points after watching the show last night;

1. Abs accent. WTF?:confused::p

2. Glad J didn't get back in 5ive, what a horrible bully

3. Interesting to see what really happened with Sean. I remember all the kids tv they did towards the end with no Sean. It was obvious to me he'd left the band but they didn't want to say.

4. Does anyone know what happen with B*Witched twin and Sinead?
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    The one thing that always strokes me about these shows is what a difference age makes. It was the same when they did the Take That reunion documentary years ago. The change in attitude 10 years of maturity makes is startling.
    What seemed such big deals to these bands when they were late teens/early 20's just all seems so petty to the 30 something adults they are now. That was especially reflected to me when Sean said that he would have no problem meeting J now and putting the past behind them.
    Hearing Sean speak made me quite sad though, especially when he said that all he wanted was someone to put their arm round him and say 'it's all going to be alright kid' but no one ever did. The management have to take responsibility for the mental well-being of these kids. They just seem to use them, chew them up, spit them out and leave them alone to pick of the pieces while they move on to the next lot of bright eyed wannabes.
    I do think Sean summed the whole thing up when he said 'too much, too soon, too young' and it's nice that now, as an adult man, he can now rationalise the madness

Great post! I was appalled when Five were talking about getting into a brawl and Simon Cowell congratulating them as 'you can't buy publicity like that'. Sadly true, but with attitudes like that is it any wonder they're so messed up when it all comes crashing down?

Oh and B*witched have tweeted that there are currently talks being held about the possibility of a 'Big Reunion' arena tour... I'm trying to cut back on gigs this year, but is it slightly wrong that I'd be tempted to go to this!? :o
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of picking people to be in pop bands when they are in their teens. Do you think if they picked people in their 20s and 30s that people would still buy their records?

I guess not everyone gets messed up in the head from being in a band. Prof Brian Cox seems to have come out of his 90s band relatively intact.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of picking people to be in pop bands when they are in their teens. Do you think if they picked people in their 20s and 30s that people would still buy their records?

I guess not everyone gets messed up in the head from being in a band. Prof Brian Cox seems to have come out of his 90s band relatively intact.

Not in the volumes they would want them to.

That's the big problem with humans beings. When your body and beauty is at it's peak, you mind is immature. Once you are more capable at rationalising, making good decisions and realising life's too short, your body is on the downward slope :(

The record company people know what they're doing. They pick youngsters, barely more than kids and tell them that they have their best interests at heart. They then use them as pretty puppets and then toss them aside after they've served their purpose. Older bands would argue back and stand up for themselves more and they wouldn't attract the screaming 13 year olds who are the target audience.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    A few points after watching the show last night;

1. Abs accent. WTF?:confused::p

2. Glad J didn't get back in 5ive, what a horrible bully

3. Interesting to see what really happened with Sean. I remember all the kids tv they did towards the end with no Sean. It was obvious to me he'd left the band but they didn't want to say.

4. Does anyone know what happen with B*Witched twin and Sinead?

I dont know, but ill be tuning in to find out!
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're targeting a younger audience then the people in the band have to relate to them so they're always going to go for late teens. With success of course, many of them will be well into their twenties by the time it all ends. But they couldn't have launched One Direction with 30 year olds, it just wouldn't have worked.

Tbh I don't think any of them were particularly messed up in the head. Michelle Heaton obviously had some issues but even she has come through. Some were perhaps bitter or resentful over certain things that happened but generally they all seem to have been able to move on and at the same time have fond enough memories that they want to do these reunions. In the case of 5ive most of the issues seemed to be contained among themselves and their own rivalries and arguments. Some from the first moment they met!
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess even within a band there is an age range.

So the ones who are around 15 may be the most affected mentally, whereas those who are 23 may be ok.
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much did these tickets cost? Or was it free through ApplauseStore?

Hope they make this in to a UK tour; would love to go!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently there's only the two twins left now from B'Witched & they're now called Barbarella . .
    You maybe able to find their new video on YouTube.
    They were on LK last week, tho' it was Fiona Philips who was standing in for LK.
    Think there was an article in the Daily Mail.

There was a Sinead O'Carroll in B'Witched, perhaps it was her who fell out with the twins as opposed to Sinead O'connor.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt Ritchie from five get in trouble in Australia for domestic violence which was a. Reason for his divorce?
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    B*witched became the Orish Lady Gagas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jFAJEmVePY
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keviness wrote: »
    How much did these tickets cost? Or was it free through ApplauseStore?

Hope they make this in to a UK tour; would love to go!

Think they were about £22.
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uzzybuzzy wrote: »
    Think they were about £22.

thanks uzzy!

Also Barbarellas (B*Witched twins) called it a day last year; quite a good album too!

I heard about Edele & Sinead's fall out a few years back, never found out why though so can't wait to find out!
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Hootie wrote: »
    Apparently there's only the two twins left now from B'Witched & they're now called Barbarella . .
    You maybe able to find their new video on YouTube.
    They were on LK last week, tho' it was Fiona Philips who was standing in for LK.
    Think there was an article in the Daily Mail.

There was a Sinead O'Carroll in B'Witched, perhaps it was her who fell out with the twins as opposed to Sinead O'connor.

That was a different act, and as the previous poster said, one that no longer exists. B*witched have reformed for this show with the full original lineup of all 4 members. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Tejas wrote: »
    That was a different act, and as the previous poster said, one that no longer exists. B*witched have reformed for this show with the full original lineup of all 4 members. :)

B*Witched is the group I am most looking forward to seeing as I absolutely loved them. They better be head to toe in denim!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,544
    Forum Member
    Enjoed watching this libertyx have aged well use to love just a little and 5ive sean and scott look old ritchie and abs look well not keen on abs accent i was surprised jay was classed as a bully interesting to see what he would have had to say about this and hes not there to speak up for himself even if they do get someone to replace jay the group wont be the same as before he was the one who stood out and he done most of the singing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03mBfE_7Uss

Until recently it appears that five were really just two, with abs being abs and Scott being J and everyone eles. Ermmm