Options

BBC Maths Quiz

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
BBC talking about maths today

10 questions here. A few are not "gimmies"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/54mB1VS0syYRVSq4wclD09W/5-live-maths-of-the-day-quiz

Comments

• Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got 12 out of 10.

My maths is brilliant.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    I got the money one wrong because
    I forgot that we have £2 coins.
    :blush:
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on, you always call it arithmetic !
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there are two correct answers to the first question:

'An adult playing sports is recommended to drink at least 2 litres of water each day. How many half-litre bottles is this?'

If the question had been:

'An adult playing sports is recommended to drink 2 litres of water each day. How many half-litre bottles is this?'

...there would only be one.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    Me too.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianx wrote: »

Nothing wrong with you maths then.

To be honest I thought the quiz was much too easy and the only way to get one wrong was to make the sort of mistake you did which even a top mathematician could do.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The questions aren't tricky, as many of these tests are, just a bit odd. Except ...
    ...watch out for trick question number 2. Although it's less tricky if you read the question more carefully and don't just rush through them!
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member

10 questions here. A few are not "gimmies"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/54mB1VS0syYRVSq4wclD09W/5-live-maths-of-the-day-quiz

That was fun...what age range is this test aimed at? don't tell me I have just done a quiz for 5 year olds and had to think about some of the answers. :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    I got 12 out of 10.

My maths is brilliant.

Is that 110% accurate? :D
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't even open the link :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »

'An adult playing sports is recommended to drink at least 2 litres of water each day. How many half-litre bottles is this?'
    I suppose the answer also needs to be prefixed by 'at least'.

I thought the answer to the suitcase one was 4 1/2, but that wasn't an option. (And yes that can be a practical answer, as two such groups can then make do with one less suitcase.)

I also found the hockey one difficult, because it doesn't tell you how teams are eliminated. You have to make an assumption, if you know nothing about hockey.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »

I don't know if you had the same problem I did but after opening the link I had to press refresh and then "play" appeared under the picture. I retried this and the same thing again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That puzzled me too.. nothing to click on that picture. But when I refreshed the screen, there was a long horizontal box under the picture and caption that said 'Play'. I did think perhaps that was part of the test - you got a point just for locating the actual quiz...
  • Options
    Forum Member

There's always one... :D
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »

If the question had been:

'An adult playing sports is recommended to drink 2 litres of water each day. How many half-litre bottles is this?'

...there would only be one.

Not sure what you're saying.

The question is simply asking how many half-litre bottles makes 2 litres, the 'at least' bit is not relevant.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    9/10

I'm ashamed to admit I fell into the obvious trap with question 2 (bat and ball).
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got 9/10. I was tripped up on Q3. Oops!
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    9/10

I'm ashamed to admit I fell into the obvious trap with question 2 (bat and ball).

What trap?

I got the money one wrong too - for the same reason as the person who posted the spoiler.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what you're saying.

The question is simply asking how many half-litre bottles makes 2 litres, the 'at least' bit is not relevant.

It is if you understand basic English.

I weigh at least 10 stone. How much do I weigh?

9 stone.

10 stone.

11 stone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I used to run a truck driving school in the US. We tested all students before admitting. Every time one tested positive he said he got it from friends he was hanging out with, never that he was a user. So I've become very skeptical of reasons. However, if all they did was test his saliva, I have my doubts.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I got 6/10. I'm hopeless at maths :blush:
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Area51FG wrote: »
    I used to run a truck driving school in the US. We tested all students before admitting. Every time one tested positive he said he got it from friends he was hanging out with, never that he was a user. So I've become very skeptical of reasons. However, if all they did was test his saliva, I have my doubts.
    Say what now?
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I don't get the answer to No2 (call me a thicko :D).

If the bat is £10 more than the ball, why isn't the ball £1 - how come it's 50p?
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10/10 - I'm so surprised with myself.

I've never been mathematically inclined, but those weren't too bad. When they start throwing in letters and weird symbols, I'm out.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    The questions aren't tricky, as many of these tests are, just a bit odd. Except ...
    ...watch out for trick question number 2. Although it's less tricky if you read the question more carefully and don't just rush through them!
    I almost tripped up on that one. It's one of those questions which seem to trick you into thinking the wrong answer is the right one.
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I also found the hockey one difficult, because it doesn't tell you how teams are eliminated. You have to make an assumption, if you know nothing about hockey.

Yes, the question assumes you know that it is a 'knock out' competition.

Suppose you could argue that some of the other questions also make assumptions:
    - The money question assumes you know all the notes and coins used in the UK.
    - The date question assumes you know how many days are in April. Also, not everyone knows what a fortnight is, remember someone once thinking it meant four nights.
    - The last question about seconds assumes you know how many seconds are in a minute, how many minutes in an hour and how many hours in a day.

Some things are more common knowledge than others, but I would prefer the questions to test pure mathematical ability and not make assumptions about knowledge.