This HDR Fox T2 is Deceased.........Maybe?

misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
Forum Member
Dear All

If you had a HDR Fox T2 and it had died and you needed to replace what would you purchase? The Humax Fox T2 has served me well and I like it very much but, and here is the problem, HDR Fox T2 are no longer being made so is this a good long term investment? What would you recommend?

Would anyone recommend purchasing another HDR Fox T2 if they were in my position even if it is no longer being made?

What would you do in my place?

I await your replies with interest

Best

M

PS

Reason I think my box has died. If you think otherwise please let me know:

I have a HDR Fox T2 Freeview + box out of warranty. My box stopped recording and playing programmes. The folders are empty but display programmes and the films section were greyed out. They now have pictures again but will not play for longer than 5 mins before freezing. I tried reformatting the disk back to factory settings but it says processing and then turns itself off. I have tried manual update with format HDD ticked but it repeats the same process and turns itself off after 3 hours and when I restart it is in exactly the same position. Please help.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if it might be worth trying to replace the hard drive? If you stick to no larger than 1TB then the HDR-Fox T2 should be able to handle it OK. From what I have been able to find out Humax use something like this

www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1000VM002-Pipeline-5900rpm-Internal/dp/B0076Z4F58

But if you take the lid off the Humax you will be able to see exactly what sort of drive it has fitted.

But if you are comfortable at poking a screwdriver in the Humax's direction then replacing the hard drive may save a few quid and revive your machine.
  • misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it might be worth trying to replace the hard drive? If you stick to no larger than 1TB then the HDR-Fox T2 should be able to handle it OK. From what I have been able to find out Humax use something like this

www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1000VM002-Pipeline-5900rpm-Internal/dp/B0076Z4F58

But if you take the lid off the Humax you will be able to see exactly what sort of drive it has fitted.

But if you are comfortable at poking a screwdriver in the Humax's direction then replacing the hard drive may save a few quid and revive your machine.

In the end all of the above was beyond me and after spending a long time researching the best successor to the marvellous HDR Fox T2 I decided to take a risk and replace with you've guessed it HDR Fox T2 courtesy of the internet. I took a risk as no idea how long it would last but so far so good. It really is a great machine.

The other one went into a delete loop and could not be saved at all. I still have it so there is always the option of paying someone who has held a screwdriver before to do this. I would be a liability. I am a pen pusher so anything manual is beyond me honestly.

Thank you for your reply and if anyone has found a suitable replacement please post here.