Options

Humax stopped short on recording tennis final.

gwynnegwynne Posts: 721
Forum Member
✭✭
I would appreciate people's thaughts on the following.
I have a Humax 2000T and last night started recording Andy's tennis final on BBC4 by using the red manual 'record' button.
This morning found the recording had stopped after 87 minutes!
Is there a limit to the manual record facility or will it simply record everything on the selected channel-even after the programme you selected to record has finished?
Very annoying none the less!

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    87 minutes seems an odd choice to auto stop. Could understand 80 or 90 or some multiple of 10. According to the manual the Manual Record function should continue till the end of the programme. Unless it ends less than ten minutes after you pressed record where it will continue till the end of the next programme. And if all else fails the recording will continue for two hours.

If you pressed REC again you do get a box pop up that allows you to set the record duration. Though I suspect you may have noticed that :) So if you didn't tell it to record for 87 minutes and/or didn't press stop after 87 minutes then either it saw a Programme End marker or ran out of space on the hard disk.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gwynne wrote: »
    I would appreciate people's thaughts on the following.
    I have a Humax 2000T and last night started recording Andy's tennis final on BBC4 by using the red manual 'record' button.
    When you set a manual record it will tell you when it is scheduled to end; can yo remember what it reported? If you don't like the proposed end time you can press Record again and edit the end time.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gwynne wrote: »
    last night started recording Andy's tennis final on BBC4 by using the red manual 'record' button.
    The default end time for ad box recordings is the current scheduled end time for the programme unless there are only a few minutes to go in which case it will be the scheduled end of the next programme. Unlike recordings set from the guide ad hoc HDR-2000T recordings do not take account later changes to the guide (which very very occasional do happen at short notice) or the broadcaster's Accurate Recordings 'signals'.
  • Options
    gwynnegwynne Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    The default end time for ad box recordings is the current scheduled end time for the programme unless there are only a few minutes to go in which case it will be the scheduled end of the next programme. Unlike recordings set from the guide ad hoc HDR-2000T recordings do not take account later changes to the guide (which very very occasional do happen at short notice) or the broadcaster's Accurate Recordings 'signals'.

Many thanks to all of you kind DS'ers for replying!
    Given the chaos surrounding the timeings of many of the Olympic events then the over run of Andy's final was probabaly not signalled to my Humax!
    This Olympics has been a nightmare for people trying to record scheduled events as channel changes have been frequent,short notice and not reflected into the Guides etc.
    Something I noticed was that whilst all the events were clearly scheduled in the various listings etc the channels they were on were,in a lot of cases,not shown?
    Navigating the red button menus could also be a bit of a chalenge.
    Will be interested to see the feedback from viewers after the Olympics has finished.
    Thanks, once again, for all your kind replies.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The timings of the Olympics broadcasts on BBC 1 and 2 especially have been a source of wonder and often what appears in the EPG on the TV/PVR has been a complete work of fiction (or so it seems at times) :)

The one thing that really puzzles me is why out of all the BBC 1 programmes has Eastenders not been shifted onto BBC 2 for the duration of the games? Are Eastenders viewers so thick that they are totally unable to grasp the concept that their favourite soap is temporarily on BBC2 for a couple of weeks? Just seems very odd that it is the Olympics coverage that has to dive over to BBC 2 for half an hour.

No wonder the poor old Humax can't keep up with things! :D
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The one thing that really puzzles me is why out of all the BBC 1 programmes has Eastenders not been shifted onto BBC 2 for the duration of the games? Are Eastenders viewers so thick that they are totally unable to grasp the concept that their favourite soap is temporarily on BBC2 for a couple of weeks? Just seems very odd that it is the Olympics coverage that has to dive over to BBC 2 for half an hour.

No wonder the poor old Humax can't keep up with things! :D
    With the BBC sometimes they use the same series CRID when switching channels and sometimes (more often?) they use a different series CRID. With eastenders the BBC have previously used a different series CRID.
    For recorders that record the series as requested this results in a missed recording.
    For recorders that try to record the earliest broadcast there is no problem.

The BBC may have got too many complaints from owners of recorders that do as they requested when the BBC have changed the series CRID for eastenders. Rather than change their flawed process they may have opted to avoid it.