Options

ISP - internet service PROTOCOL - wrong!!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't like Mr Viglen this year - this ISP error (smug but wrong Mr V!!!) and his comments about Stella being glorified PA - can;t see where he has avidence for that, unloess he was just assuming she never really moved on from initial post!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    I was quite surprised by this so called technical guy getting something so basic wrong too, he didn't come across very well and his comments re Stella and even Karen (even she could have an ISP license) were quite rude.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I was shouting at the TV at that point but why didn't Stuart call him on it?
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Begs the question how techy is Stuart as he didn't correct him either.

His idea about pet chipping was a bit silly as well, you are going to start needing to put batteries in your pet to have a chip powerful enough to be trackable by satellite
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he said "Karen, even you could get one", I think he was just referring to the fact that you don't need to be a technical person to be eligible. Karen just happened to be sitting opposite him so hers was the name he used.

Of course, it was ironic that he hauled Stuart over the coals over the minutia of his licence when he (the interviewer) didn't understand the basics himself and therefore wouldn't have known if the license issue was real or not. It made me wonder if he was put up to the discussion by the producers.
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    Didn't like Mr Viglen this year - this ISP error (smug but wrong Mr V!!!) and his comments about Stella being glorified PA - can;t see where he has avidence for that, unloess he was just assuming she never really moved on from initial post!
    RMorgan wrote: »
    I was quite surprised by this so called technical guy getting something so basic wrong too, he didn't come across very well and his comments re Stella and even Karen (even she could have an ISP license) were quite rude.
    I was shouting at the TV at that point but why didn't Stuart call him on it?
    Begs the question how techy is Stuart as he didn't correct him either.

His idea about pet chipping was a bit silly as well, you are going to start needing to put batteries in your pet to have a chip powerful enough to be trackable by satellite
    NeilyM wrote: »
    Of course, it was ironic that he hauled Stuart over the coals over the minutia of his licence when he (the interviewer) didn't understand the basics himself and therefore wouldn't have known if the license issue was real or not. It made me wonder if he was put up to the discussion by the producers.

Don't any of you realise how easy it is to get one word of an expanded abbreviation wrong?

I'm sure they both know perfectly well what it should have been and neither of them noticed because they had other things on which to concentrate.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,528
    Forum Member
    Jepson wrote: »
    Don't any of you realise how easy it is to get one word of an expanded abbreviation wrong?

I'm sure they both know perfectly well what it should have been and neither of them noticed because they had other things on which to concentrate.

Exactly. I immediatety realised that it was a slip of the tongue. No more, no less (IP - Internet Protocol, ISP - Internet Service Provider).

If it had been important, they would have edited it out, but it wasn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only part of my dislike for him :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Exactly. I immediatety realised that it was a slip of the tongue. No more, no less (IP - Internet Protocol, ISP - Internet Service Provider).

If it had been important, they would have edited it out, but it wasn't.
    Nonsense, the Viglen guy shows why his company now just prey on the sick and the needy (health and education), he's clueless.

He even repeated it when he said the immortal line:

"It's a protocol that allows telecoms over bandwidths"

Go to 29m04s on the iPlayer link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wtwkm/The_Apprentice_Series_6_Interviews/
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget this guy sells Viglen pc's to schools, he doesn't have to be very technical or technical at all to do that.... Currys and PC World have managed to sell computers for years with very little knowledge of what or how it works.

I'd hardly say this guy can boast about his business.... it's not exactly apple or Dell after all.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,528
    Forum Member
    JamieD wrote: »
    Nonsense, the Viglen guy shows why his company now just prey on the sick and the needy (health and education), he's clueless.

Go to 29m04s on the iPlayer link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wtwkm/The_Apprentice_Series_6_Interviews/

No, I'll take your word for it, but as I said, if it was important (which it wasn't in the context of the programme) they would have edited it out.

I still think the ISP thing was a slip of the tongue though, even though the guy is clearly no technical wizard (and in his position, doesn't have to be).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    No, I'll take your word for it, but as I said, if it was important (which it wasn't in the context of the programme) they would have edited it out.
    Well it was quite important because the Bordan's lack of understanding of the situation got someone fired.
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was quite important because the Bordan's lack of understanding of the situation got someone fired.

That was never the reason he was fired.

You would need to be seriously deluded to believe Sugar worked himself up like that over something so trivial which they would undoubtedly have known about since the final sixteen were selected.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I've seen a vig-i-len vigger-len computer advertised for 20 years. Who do they sell to?

Completely unjustified rant against Stuart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was never the reason he was fired.

You would need to be seriously deluded to believe Sugar worked himself up like that over something so trivial which they would undoubtedly have known about since the final sixteen were selected.
    Indeed, so you'd think they would put some effort into explaining why he was fired. It can't just be for remorse for mistakenly firings Liz was it?
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole farce has made Sugar and his muppets look more idiotic than Stuart. At least Stuart can be excused on account of only being 21.

And then ranting at Stuart because he'd fired Liz the week before!:mad: How is that Stuart's fault? He'd told Liz she wasn't what he was looking for.:rolleyes: I found that most unprofessional.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    Splitting hairs over whether it should be protocol or provider isn't relevant to Stuart's downfall. Stuart was wrong to say he was a fully licensed telecoms provider. That would mean he was licensed to provide any kind of telecoms, which he clearly isn't. He has a license to provide broadband services.

He overcooked his CV, and paid the price.

I think he meant that he was fully licensed to provide telecommunications services, broadband is a form of telecommunication(s), he was/is therefore providing (admittedly not full) telecommunication(s) services and is fully licensed to do so. I think he used the term telecommunications rather than broadband to exaggerate the company's credentials and make it sound bigger than it was, but I don't think he did it to mislead anyone.

Whether Bordan knew this and decided to nitpick or genuinely thought he was claiming to provide all forms of telecommunications while not, I've no idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was no slip of the tongue. He was asked if he knew what ISP stood for. He replied with the wrong answer then didn't correct himself, instead going on to expand on his incorrect answer with an incorrect explanation.

His "slip of the tongue" made his answer to wrong as to be laughable - he himself would have noticed, which he didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think I've seen a vig-i-len vigger-len computer advertised for 20 years. Who do they sell to?

Completely unjustified rant against Stuart.

http://www.viglen.co.uk/devportal/std/storefront/storefront.asp?guid=18597859838&errMsg=

(Website looks like it was designed by a bedroom-operation web host using a cheap template considering it's owned by one of this country's most well known business men)
  • Options
    Forum Member

lolwut? :D
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart Baggs - INNOCENT!!

I want this admitted - on the record - during next weeks final!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    If you hold a £350 licence to sell broadband internet services, you can't go around calling yourself a 'fully licenced telecoms operator' that is pure BS and I think everyone knows that. It's just a shame Bordan had that slip of the tongue that prevented the moment from being truly 100% great.

In the end, Stuart is still in the wrong.

Really, he should have gone a week earlier and never even got to see Mr Viglen
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blame 'The Lord' for that
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But it is 20 diameters in width.
    I think he used the term telecommunications rather than broadband to exaggerate the company's credentials and make it sound bigger than it was, but I don't think he did it to mislead anyone.

Surely exaggerating a company's credentials in an attempt to make it sound bigger than it really is is intentionally misleading people?
  • Options
    spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oopps