Playbooks outsold 4th gen ipad in the last quarter of 2012

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Ipad mini doesn't exactly look that good either. in fact it's just an oversized iphone, stretched horizontally and vertically, with the same boring old interface.

I think it looks very ugly and scratch prone. The Nexus 7 seems like a more human device with soft-touch materials which make it comfortable to hold.

Plus the Nexus 7 (and Playbook) can be held with one hand which I think is a massive plus for a tablet in this class. The iPad Mini is far too wide and awkward to hold with one hand, it almost defeats the purpose.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sure enough, Android tablets have overtaken iOS.

http://www.androidauthority.com/idc-android-tablets-overtake-apple-201110/
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Ipad mini doesn't exactly look that good either. in fact it's just an oversized iphone, stretched horizontally and vertically, with the same boring old interface.

I wasn't talking about aesthetics, as that is subjective. I was talking about build quality. Clearly the iPad mini is a night and day difference in build quality. As I said, the difference is stark.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Google doesn't distinguish between tablet and mobile apps. It's inefficient to have to install a separate app for different types of devices. Android has an API which scales and alters the UI according to the screen size, it's a far more elegant solution than a whole separate app, so the "Android has no tablet apps" argument fails there.

This Android focused piece begs to differ:

http://www.androidcentral.com/idc-android-now-leads-tablet-market-565-share?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=twitter&style_mobile=0

It highlights exactly the issue that has been raised many times here, but that certain Android users deny. Apps that simply scale up to fit any screen size don't make the most of a tablet sized screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you have to do is check "show desktop view", it's something even a child can do, and something nearly every user is aware of, the feature is very easily accessed. That feature is not found on iOS however.

Then that would suggest most Android tablet users use that function **all the time** since 90% of all tablet web traffic registers as coming from the iPad. Very unlikely.
    Google doesn't distinguish between tablet and mobile apps. It's inefficient to have to install a separate app for different types of devices. Android has an API which scales and alters the UI according to the screen size, it's a far more elegant solution than a whole separate app, so the "Android has no tablet apps" argument fails there.

http://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/quality/tablet.html

The iPad Mini was obviously a reactionary measure, that much was clear from their desperate keynote where they tried to slate competitors. :o

Scaling a phone app doesn't make it a tablet app. And the Android ability of writing one app to include adjustable interfaces depending on the many screen sizes and resolutions available with Android tablets is very rarely used because it is still like writing multiple apps with the only difference is that they are contained in one file. The vast majority of developers have no desire to account for the huge variations in screen size and resolution you find with Android tablets.

Google doesn't talk about the number of Android tablets apps because it knows it pales in comparison to the over 300,000 available for the iPad.

As for the introduction of the iPad mini being "reactionary," that makes little sense seeing as Apple has always made its products in varying sizes. Apple also did a perfect job of showing how overall the iPad mini is superior to the competition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This latest sales data casts even more doubt on the topic of this thread. Considering that Playbooks didn't even feature in the sales figures for Q1 2013, I find it very difficult to believe that they were the top sellers for Q4 2012.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it looks very ugly and scratch prone. The Nexus 7 seems like a more human device with soft-touch materials which make it comfortable to hold.

Apple is known for its styling so most people would disagree with you. And no, it is not "scratch prone."
    Plus the Nexus 7 (and Playbook) can be held with one hand which I think is a massive plus for a tablet in this class. The iPad Mini is far too wide and awkward to hold with one hand, it almost defeats the purpose.

Considering how light the iPad mini (yes, lighter than the smaller Nexus 7) is one doesn't need to palm the device. The fact is though most people with average size hands can. The bigger screen on the iPad mini allows much more to be viewed on the screen, like web pages, while still being much smaller than the full sized iPad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wave goodbye to Apple's hold on the tablet market because it's not going to last much longer. By this time next year I think Android will have extended its lead even more. There are some very exciting products in the pipeline.

The tablet market is obviously following the same trend as the mobile market, where only a quarter of the market share worldwide is not controlled by Android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wave goodbye to Apple's hold on the tablet market because it's not going to last much longer. By this time next year I think Android will have extended its lead even more. There are some very exciting products in the pipeline.

The tablet market is obviously following the same trend as the mobile market, where only a quarter of the market share worldwide is not controlled by Android.

What "exciting products?" More ho hum inexpensive 7" tablets?

The fact is, the experience on the iPad is a night and day difference better since you have so many more apps to choose from. You also get the best build quality, much less of a chance of getting malware, the best resale value, the best customer service and tech support and the best third party accessories support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    What "exciting products?" More ho hum inexpensive 7" tablets?

You'll see. But don't worry, iOS users will probably get to experience some of Android's latest features in the iPhone 6S or something in a few years, so it's not all bad. :)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All you have to do is check "show desktop view", it's something even a child can do, and something nearly every user is aware of, the feature is very easily accessed. That feature is not found on iOS however.

Not found on Safari.

Chrome for iOS has "Request Desktop Site", while other browsers such as iCab Mobile allow you to change the user agent to that of a variety of desktop or mobile browsers.

Still, you don't usually need to specifically request a desktop version when browsing on an iPad, whether using Safari or any other browser. Although browsing using an iPhone usually means you end up on a mobile site, when you browse on an iPad you usually end up on a full desktop site (in my experience).

It was only really in the early days of the iPad that you would have normal apps for the iPhone only and separate "HD" apps for the iPad only.

Apps on iOS have been moving away from that for a while now.

Most apps nowadays are "Universal" apps, that work on the iPhone and iPad, scaled and optimised for whichever device you install them on, with a different UI too.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    For me, Android will not have Apple beaten until they produce tablets with the 4:3 screen ratio.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple is known for its styling so most people would disagree with you. And no, it is not "scratch prone."

Considering how light the iPad mini (yes, lighter than the smaller Nexus 7) is one doesn't need to palm the device. The fact is though most people with average size hands can. The bigger screen on the iPad mini allows much more to be viewed on the screen, like web pages, while still being much smaller than the full sized iPad.

I hold my ipad mini in one hand all the time on the tube. It's very easy. Personally I think the iPad mini was released in response to the amazon kindle Fire rather than any android tablets. The original kindle did very well in the US when first released.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Your name is Hugh isn't it?
    Could be one of hundreds. They supposedly don't even pay them.

Fact is that Apple has a 'never the twain' policy to ensure phone, tablet and PC identifies in its own sector.

So you can do things on a PC that you can't do on a tablet and yet that tablet can do things you can't do on a smartphone.

The upcoming new OS/X marketing slogan of 'power-features' is almost certainly in fact code for merging OS/X into IOS which eventually may jettison any power users left.
    Bizarrely long term, via Xboxification, there may only Android left with the mantle of 'user controllable' PC.
    Obviously by forcing a 'never the twain policy' you get double or even triple sales, something Android cannot so easily do in its present guise.

The Playbook is the same. It would also sell better if it allowed an Android install.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, Android will not have Apple beaten until they produce tablets with the 4:3 screen ratio.

choice remember ;)

http://androidcommunity.com/zte-v81-tablet-unveiled-with-a-43-8-inch-display-and-jelly-bean-20130128/
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Not found on Safari.

Chrome for iOS has "Request Desktop Site", while other browsers such as iCab Mobile allow you to change the user agent to that of a variety of desktop or mobile browsers.

Still, you don't usually need to specifically request a desktop version when browsing on an iPad, whether using Safari or any other browser. Although browsing using an iPhone usually means you end up on a mobile site, when you browse on an iPad you usually end up on a full desktop site (in my experience).

It was only really in the early days of the iPad that you would have normal apps for the iPhone only and separate "HD" apps for the iPad only.

Apps on iOS have been moving away from that for a while now.

Most apps nowadays are "Universal" apps, that work on the iPhone and iPad, scaled and optimised for whichever device you install them on, with a different UI too.

Indeed. But we always seem to regress to extremely dated arguments on DS that bear no relevance to the present.
  • weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people I have known that have bought an Android tablet wanted an iPad to begin with but wanted to save money. A couple of people wanted some features an iPad doesn't offer. The funny thing is that in the end they wished they had bought an iPad instead.

It makes sense to buy an iPad just for the number of tablet apps it has access to, then when you factor in build quality, the best customer service and tech support, third party accessory support and resale value the answer is clear as to what tablet is overall superior.

I have a playbook tablet and a samsung s3 phone (previously had a blackberry curve).
    I can honestly say that I have NEVER wanted to buy an Apple Product and did not choose my products in order to save money but bought them because I actually wanted them.
    You might find it hard to believe but some people do actually WANT something other than iphones/ipads
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but some people do actually WANT something other than iphones/ipads
    Growth of Android tablets was 247% hitting 57% of all sales.
    The iPad whilst increasing sales is very rapidly losing market share.

There is such a great choice of tablets available now Apple only has the app store as a plus. Much of the rest sucks unless all your other gadgets are also walled in.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people I have known that have bought an Android tablet wanted an iPad to begin with but wanted to save money. A couple of people wanted some features an iPad doesn't offer. The funny thing is that in the end they wished they had bought an iPad instead.

It makes sense to buy an iPad just for the number of tablet apps it has access to, then when you factor in build quality, the best customer service and tech support, third party accessory support and resale value the answer is clear as to what tablet is overall superior.

It makes sense to buy an Android tablet as it has plenty of apps, more features and isn't locked into Apple's ecosystem :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    It makes sense to buy an Android tablet as it has plenty of apps, more features and isn't locked into Apple's ecosystem :rolleyes:
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The Playbook is the same. It would also sell better if it allowed an Android install.
    That other tablet that got some rave reviews, the Fire style Nook HD has just today gone over to full Android.

The reviews were very suspect in that Barnes & Noble app store was near empty of everything you might want no doubt causing far too many returns.
    Now that it has both Chrome and the Play store in 'Nook versus Fire versus Playbook', to me, the Nook now wins quite easily.

Those older media newspaper rave reviews are now in fact correct, just 6 months ahead of their time.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung are here
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That other tablet that got some rave reviews, the Fire style Nook HD has just today gone over to full Android.

The reviews were very suspect in that Barnes & Noble app store was near empty of everything you might want no doubt causing far too many returns.
    Now that it has both Chrome and the Play store in 'Nook versus Fire versus Playbook', to me, the Nook now wins quite easily.

Those older media newspaper rave reviews are now in fact correct, just 6 months ahead of their time.

Maybe they're about to pull out of the market, so without abandoning customers after shutting down their app store, they just installed Google Play on their devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they're about to pull out of the market, so without abandoning customers after shutting down their app store, they just installed Google Play on their devices.
    Highly possible. I also suspect cash flow problems. They are just too small to finance it all like Amazon.

Though the Nook could now end up being quite a success.
    Great battery, great screen, stylish lightweight design, plus Nook books and stuff still too I imagine.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All the nooks including the nook HD and the HD+ are on sale at the moment too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it is clear there are not "plenty of apps" for Android. That is fact. Whether there are enough for you is another matter.

What "more features?"

The iPad has access to over 300,000 actual tablet apps so most people would be more than happy to be supposedly locked into such an ecosystem.