Options

What would you do if you ruled the UK

Comments

• Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil. wrote: »
    Welfare System – If you have been on JAS for more than 3 months you will be required to do 1 day of community work a week to continue to receive benefits. This can be anything from voluntary charity work to picking up litter, but you have to do something to continue receiving benefit. This will increase to 2 days after 6 months. Child benefit paid for first two children only. If you want a large family, don’t expect the state to help pay for it.

I like the idea of 1 day of community work a week.

An idea I got:

Raise Min wage to a Min Wage+P. Where P is an extra amount that goes to a pension pot.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    If you are wanting the UK to break up, I would never, ever vote for you! :eek::D

Talking about that, I would campaign for the UK to join the Schengen Agreement.

And IIRC, some previous government promised us a referendum on whether or not we should adopt the Euro. That seems to have been quietly dropped. Maybe we should even have a referendum as to whether we want to be in the EU at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would also have to leave the Council of Europe, be in violation of International protocol and could also jeopardise other treaties, trade agreements and UN membership. It ain't going to happen unless the UK becomes a dictatorship, at which point the death penalty would be the least of our worries.

Not sure if people contributing to this thread are aware of our European and International responsibilities to the abolition of the death penalty but that's the reality.

Well said.

http://europa.eu/eu-law/treaties
  • Options
    SnowfairySnowfairy Posts: 7,622
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »

10/ An increase in prison sentences for animal cruelty, which I would class as a violent crime.

May I ask - what sort of acts would you class as "animal cruelty", and would you apply them to all animals, or just those of certain species?
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Talking about that, I would campaign for the UK to join the Schengen Agreement.

And IIRC, some previous government promised us a referendum on whether or not we should adopt the Euro. That seems to have been quietly dropped. Maybe we should even have a referendum as to whether we want to be in the EU at all.
    Are you crazy or something? :eek:

If the UK joined the Schengen Agreement, it would be an illegal immigrant's early Christmas present! All those would-be illegal immigrants in Calais trying to sneak into the UK by hiding in lorries etc would be delighted, as they would no longer need to go to the trouble of smuggling themselves into the UK via lorries etc and there would be nothing at all we could do to stop them! :(
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    :) You'd get my vote.

Banning elections would be my first move. :)
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    No point doing that unless you reverse the smoking ban

I usually bump into you on abortion threads SULLA and disagree, but I like your thinking here.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Banning elections would be my first move. :)

What would you replace it with?
  • Options
    MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would outlaw zero hour contracts & agencies.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Have young girls brought to my room every night.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I know this thread is just-a-bit-of-fun, but seriously ?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you crazy or something? :eek:

If the UK joined the Schengen Agreement, it would be an illegal immigrant's early Christmas present! All those would-be illegal immigrants in Calais trying to sneak into the UK by hiding in lorries etc would be delighted, as they would no longer need to go to the trouble of smuggling themselves into the UK via lorries etc and there would be nothing at all we could do to stop them! :(

The problem isn't the SA itself, but the lack of border controls around the permiter of the EU region. So, the two would have to go hand in hand and having a quick word with countries like France, telling them to sort their crap out. In other words, move the border fence to the EU perimeter, rather than needing one around the UK.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    every day would be the first day of spring.
  • Options
    Flubber.Flubber. Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have free condoms,tampons and toothbrushes available at every newsagent, chemist ect...

Rule out formal learning in reception class and introduce play theory.

Make communal gardens (as in growing stuff mandatory for any new development)

fix cornwall coastal path.

Reform the NHS give power back to caregivers - reform student nursing, basis of applicants should not be based on grade but also compassion.

Ban kettling by Police. (If I have that word right)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    What would you replace it with?

Those who I appoint.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 - Legalise marijuana
    2 - Legalise prostitution
    3 - Swap the Falkland Islands for Lionel Messi
    4 - Evacuate the Isle of Wight and turn it into a prison island
    5 - Make the Queen Elizabeth bridge free as it should be by now
    6 - Turn the M25 into a WipeOut course to make it more interesting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    1 - Legalise marijuana
    2 - Legalise prostitution
    3 - Swap the Falkland Islands for Lionel Messi
    4 - Evacuate the Isle of Wight and turn it into a prison island
    5 - Make the Queen Elizabeth bridge free as it should be by now
    6 - Turn the M25 into a WipeOut course to make it more interesting
    I would most definitely vote for you, just for the legalization of what you mentioned first! :cool:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    This situation is ridiculous. With the NHS struggling and many people on the poverty line, then this has to stop. The trouble is that no government will risk a drop in votes to cut pensions. People, particularly those in the entertainment industry, who are multi-millionaires should not be receiving state pensions.

They've paid for the contributory state pension, ergo: they have the right to receive it.

You can't suddenly start tearing up contracts.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snowfairy wrote: »
    May I ask - what sort of acts would you class as "animal cruelty", and would you apply them to all animals, or just those of certain species?

From the Animal Welfare Act 2006:-
    1Animals to which the Act applies E+W.This sectionnoteType=Explanatory Notes has no associated
    (1)In this Act, except subsections (4) and (5), “animal” means a vertebrate other than man. .
    (2)Nothing in this Act applies to an animal while it is in its foetal or embryonic form. .
    (3)The appropriate national authority may by regulations for all or any of the purposes of this Act— .
    (a)extend the definition of “animal” so as to include invertebrates of any description; .
    (b)make provision in lieu of subsection (2) as respects any invertebrates included in the definition of “animal”; .
    (c)amend subsection (2) to extend the application of this Act to an animal from such earlier stage of its development as may be specified in the regulations. .
    (4)The power under subsection (3)(a) or (c) may only be exercised if the appropriate national authority is satisfied, on the basis of scientific evidence, that animals of the kind concerned are capable of experiencing pain or suffering. .
    (5)In this section, “vertebrate” means any animal of the Sub-phylum Vertebrata of the Phylum Chordata and “invertebrate” means any animal not of that Sub-phylum. .

So, the above.
  • Options
    thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    What changes would you make if you were in power.

I would pay women to stay at home to look after their kids unless they were in a profession like lawyer or doctor, thereby opening up ordinary jobs for school leavers.

I would make sure that everyone who was capable of working had a job even if I had to subsidise the employers. People would only get money if they worked and the benefit would go to the employer instead of the individual to be paid with their wages.

I would teach children life skills (including cooking and nutrition) in schools instead of teaching them how to pass exams.

This is just a start and my full manifesto is not completed yet.:p

• Restrict immigration so that it equals the same number emigrating.
    • Cut fuel duty to match the USA
    • Cease the TV Licence
    • Give land to people who can afford to build their own home for cost
    • Give everyone free internet access
    • Ban speed camera
    • Increase the Motorway speed limit to 90mph
    • Make all meat free range
    • Restrict supermarkets to one in any town
    • Reinstate Fox Hunting
    • Force unemployed to work on fruit farms and reduce incoming foreign workers
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    I'd reform unemployment benefits.

If the government fails to add a significant amount of jobs to the economy, every member of the government has their salary reduced by 25%
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thebtman wrote: »

• Restrict immigration so that it equals the same number emigrating.
    • Cut fuel duty to match the USA
    • Cease the TV Licence
    • Give land to people who can afford to build their own home for cost
    • Give everyone free internet access
    • Ban speed camera
    • Increase the Motorway speed limit to 90mph
    • Make all meat free range
    • Restrict supermarkets to one in any town
    • Reinstate Fox Hunting
    • Force unemployed to work on fruit farms and reduce incoming foreign workers
    As well as giving everyone free internet access, could you make it at least 1Gbps fast at an absolute minimum?
  • Options
    thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As well as giving everyone free internet access, could you make it at least 1Gbps fast at an absolute minimum?

Yes.

Vote for me!:D
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd make harry my concubine
  • Options
    SnowfairySnowfairy Posts: 7,622
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    From the Animal Welfare Act 2006:-
    1Animals to which the Act applies E+W.This sectionnoteType=Explanatory Notes has no associated
    (1)In this Act, except subsections (4) and (5), “animal” means a vertebrate other than man. .
    (2)Nothing in this Act applies to an animal while it is in its foetal or embryonic form. .
    (3)The appropriate national authority may by regulations for all or any of the purposes of this Act— .
    (a)extend the definition of “animal” so as to include invertebrates of any description; .
    (b)make provision in lieu of subsection (2) as respects any invertebrates included in the definition of “animal”; .
    (c)amend subsection (2) to extend the application of this Act to an animal from such earlier stage of its development as may be specified in the regulations. .
    (4)The power under subsection (3)(a) or (c) may only be exercised if the appropriate national authority is satisfied, on the basis of scientific evidence, that animals of the kind concerned are capable of experiencing pain or suffering. .
    (5)In this section, “vertebrate” means any animal of the Sub-phylum Vertebrata of the Phylum Chordata and “invertebrate” means any animal not of that Sub-phylum.

So, the above.

Thanks, but that doesn't actually answer my question. I'll try to be clearer: what sort of acts would you personally class as animal cruelty? i.e. can you give me some examples of what you consider to be animal cruelty?