Options

Going to see Roy Chubby Brown Tomorrow !

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A poor mans Derek and Clive.

Can you translate this?
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Can you translate this?

Allow me.

Derek and Clive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_and_Clive
    Derek and Clive was a double act of comedic characters created by Dudley Moore (Derek) and Peter Cook (Clive) in the 1970s. The performances were captured on the records Derek and Clive (Live) (1976), Derek and Clive Come Again (1977), and Derek and Clive Ad Nauseam (1978), as well as in a film documentary, Derek and Clive Get the Horn (1979). A greatest hits album containing some previously unreleased material, called Rude & Rare The Best of Derek and Clive, was released in 2011. The characters are foul-mouthed extensions of the earlier characters Pete and Dud.

Considered highly offensive by many at the time, the sketches primarily took the form of bizarre, sometime drunken streams of consciousness led by Cook, with interjections from Moore. Memorable moments from the records include Clive claiming that the worst job he ever had was retrieving lobsters from Jayne Mansfield's arsehole, Derek claiming his worst job was cleaning up Winston Churchill's bogeys (leading the pair to conclude that the Titanic was one such bogey), Clive claiming that he was sexually aroused by the sight of a deceased Pope lying in state, and a horse-racing 'commentary' featuring horses named after sexual organs or their vulgarised derivatives.

A poor man's:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poor%20man%27s
    A knock-off of inferior quality, or something similar to something else, but not as good.

Mr. Ed is the poor man's John Kerry, since he has the same face but inferior public-speaking skills.

Jared was horrified when he remembered going home wasted with a Jessica Alba look-alike, then woke up the next morning naked next to the poor man's Rosie O'Donnell.

So the poster you quote is saying that Roy Chubby Brown is a poor imitation/knock off of Derek and Clive.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem Royston has is that in this day and age his act is an anachronism, he swears far too much (less really is more) and tries to go for shock value with certain jokes but ultimately fails and ends up being quite boring and tedious to watch. It really is about time he gave it all up, in a documentary I saw some years ago about him he was being followed round on tour and a lot of the places he played were barely half full, he even commented that on those gigs he didn't make money, he lost money. Surely performing in front of a load of empty seats is a clear sign your times up.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His shows are like a BNP rally.

Good if you enjoy that sort of thing, I guess.
    A poor mans Derek and Clive.

You're giving him far too much credit.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Can you translate this?

You've never heard of Derek and Clive aka Peter Cook and Dudley Moore? For a start they're far superior and yes they do set out to insult anyone they can. So its offensive but theyve got far more talent than Roy chubby brown. YouTube them, I think all the albums are up there unless they've been removed. They made a film as well with their Derek and Clive alter egos.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah I see Hugh Jboobs has explained but YouTube is still a good place to listen to their material.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dunno about 'poor mans' he's Derek and Clive without a pot to piss in :p
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him years ago, he was pretty funny but he was NO Derek and Clive and nothing like.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I remember watching him on video many years ago, at the time his comparatively shocking language and approach was mildly amusing to my young ears..

I seem to remember a song that involved using pubic hair as dental floss

.. Oh yeah and his real name is Royston Vasey i believe, which is the name of the village in The League of Gentlemen and he appeared as himself on the show once..
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sincere condolences.

I will add mine too.
    I was invited out some time back to a comedy club, and unfortunately he was the main act, (I use that expression advisedly.)
    I lasted 6 or 7 minutes, I apologised to the person that had invited, and paid for me, but you would have to be a raving masochist to sit through that.
    He builds his entire act around how many times he can use the F, C, or any curse word you can think of, he targets everyone, black, Asian, Jew, Muslim, women are laughed at and sexualised.
    The audience seemed to lap it up, he plays to his gallery.
    I'm no prude, I can eff and blind when telling or repeating jokes, but he was no joke, (pun intended.)
    He made Frankie Boyle seem like the Pope.
    He is absolutely foul, good luck to him for making money out of it, but IMHO anyone who is a fan of his, is a sad, sick person.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will add mine too.
    I was invited out some time back to a comedy club, and unfortunately he was the main act, (I use that expression advisedly.)
    I lasted 6 or 7 minutes, I apologised to the person that had invited, and paid for me, but you would have to be a raving masochist to sit through that.
    He builds his entire act around how many times he can use the F, C, or any curse word you can think of, he targets everyone, black, Asian, Jew, Muslim, women are laughed at and sexualised.
    The audience seemed to lap it up, he plays to his gallery.
    I'm no prude, I can eff and blind when telling or repeating jokes, but he was no joke, (pun intended.)
    He made Frankie Boyle seem like the Pope.
    He is absolutely foul, good luck to him for making money out of it, but IMHO anyone who is a fan of his, is a sad, sick person.

Well, humour is subjective and all that.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's gay, isn't he. :)
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll have to shout 'You Fat Bastard!' at him when you go. :D
  • Options
    James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horses for courses, have fun.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope you've already penned your letter of complaint ready to send to The Daily Mail where you complain about paying good money for tickets only to be incredibly offended at his use of profanity, racist, sexist, homophobic and other non-PC material.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I don't have any problem whatsoever with comedians doing offensive jokes, but Roy "Chubby" Brown has never been funny.

He's just a piss poor imitation of Bernard Manning. Bernard Manning was often offensive, but he was funny.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I don't have any problem whatsoever with comedians doing offensive jokes, but Roy "Chubby" Brown has never been funny.

He's just a piss poor imitation of Bernard Manning. Bernard Manning was often offensive, but he was funny.

Bernard Manning was a big fan of Chubby Brown, he has been quoted many times on it (on video and print).
  • Options
    MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can a fan of Roy Chubby Brown's humour explain why they find it so funny? I find it baffling.
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I saw him years ago, he was pretty funny but he was NO Derek and Clive and nothing like.

Can't see much connection with Derek and Clive, but I get Chubby's audience seem to find something incredibly subversive going on.

He's certainly no Bernard Manning. Manning was there to make racist & homophobic jokes to his white and straight audience. Brown tells misogynistic jokes and the women in the audience (of which there are many) laugh the loudest. Why??
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of fat people, northerners, racists or people called Roy
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    He's certainly no Bernard Manning. Manning was there to make racist & homophobic jokes to his white and straight audience. Brown tells misogynistic jokes and the women in the audience (of which there are many) laugh the loudest. Why??

Have you ever actually seen Bernard Manning?

He did a handful of jokes that you might call racist or homophobic, but 99% of his act was nothing but old fashioned jokes with a set up and punch line. Even modern comedians like Stephen Fry and Mark Lamarr have complimented his natural comic talent and timing.

As to why women during Brown's shows laugh at his jokes; I would have thought that was quite obvious: they find the guy funny and don't mind a few jokes made at their expense.
  • Options
    MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of fat people, northerners, racists or people called Roy

(BIB) Neither is Roy nor his fans AFAICS
    Have you ever actually seen Bernard Manning?

He did a handful of jokes that you might call racist or homophobic, but 99% of his act was nothing but old fashioned jokes with a set up and punch line. Even modern comedians like Stephen Fry and Mark Lamarr have complimented his natural comic talent and timing.

As to why women during Brown's shows laugh at his jokes; I would have thought that was quite obvious: they find the guy funny and don't mind a few jokes made at their expense.

I've not seen much of either of them, but I would say there's a definite difference between them in their appeal. Can't define it very well, (it's to do with overall racist overtones) but it's there.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you can save any racist joke, but replacing the racism with 'bernard manning' or 'chubby brown'.

How do you stop chubby brown from dronwing? Take your foot of his head....
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just a question; is anyone both a fan of Roy Chubby Brown & of Stewart Lee?
    Yes and no.
    I was. I haven't seen a Chubby Brown show/routine for about 15 years.
    I gave up 2/3 way through Lee's last series.

But i'd give both a watch again to see if I still consider them any good.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought he was good when we saw him he had a character called beryl in his act my sil's name ripped the P out of her
    Hope it goes well
    PS don't get out of your seat he'll love that
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Blackpool! Can't wait! Anyone else going to see this legend? Anyone seen him before?

I last saw him a couple of years ago, His act isn't what it was in the 80's , He does seem to use a very lot of his old jokes frequently , I first heard a tape of him on the way to a Rugby league match in Castleford in the 80's, I'd never heard anything like that before, Don't go if you're easily offended though.:D