EastEnders - Kathy's return should be huge, and I mean HUGE!

lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
Forum Member
✭✭
Kathy's return has the potential to be MASSIVE, and I seriously think DTC and his team are missing out, if they don't have an absolute maximum buzz around Kathy's return...

Kathy Beale is an iconic EastEnders character and she is connected to the two biggest families on the square, the Beale's and the Mitchell's.

The Mitchell's took centre stage in the New Year's Day episode and the show achieved an average rating of 8.53 million viewers, along with a peak of 10.4 million viewers. The shows highest rating in almost 2 years...

The Beale's then went on to take centre state in the 30th anniversary, as the 'Who Killed Lucy Beale?' storyline managed to bring in 10.84 million viewers, a TV share of over 40% and a peak of almost 12 million viewers. This made it the highest rated episode in almost 5 years (Since 2010).

I'm sorry Carter fans, but these 2 families ARE the shows most popular families!

Anyway, more to the point...

Kathy's return will enable the Beale's and Mitchell's to take centre stage once more and give them an even bigger presence on the show (What more could you possible want, other than The Mitchell's returning to The Vic and a Grant return?:p)... Therefore, there's a real opportunity to make something big out of Kathy's return!

Ian, Kathy, Sharon and Phil are all well known characters, within the British public and I can't wait until these 4 are all involved in a dynamic scene... It's going to be epic TV viewing and pure old school EastEnders!:p.

I think this could be a huge ratings success, if advertised well and if it gets a lot of publicity. I think that the BBC should create alternative adverts and even have pictures of Kathy, Ian, Phil, etc... All over the London Underground, etc... Just like they did for Lucy's murder, as Kathy's return is probably going to be their next biggest storyline!

There should also be adverts on TV, with the hashtag '#KathysBack', making this a social media talking point, aswell as a public talking point.

'#EELive' trended for almost a week on twitter, therefore I think if hyped up big enough, '#KathysBack' could trend on twitter aswell!

They COULD even film abroad, with Ian and Ben (Maybe Phil aswell?), trying to find Kathy... However, idk if the BBC would be willing to pay for all of that... However, I do think they could film around London and that, for this storyline, especially as they filmed by the River Thames for her actual return scene...

I think this could really be a big thing. They could also ask Barbara Windsor to come back for a few episodes, to tie in with her return, as Peggy has clearly got something to do with it, based on her scenes in her previous episode.

Den's return was huge and I think Kathy's return could be just as huge. The BBC would be really missing out on a trick, if they didn't give this a lot of advertisement.

Nick's return wasn't really that big, we kind of knew that he was returning anyway and his offscreen 'death', was only witnessed by around 7 million viewers, whereas Kathy's return was witnessed by around 10.84 million viewers and it wasn't expected by the majority of viewers, I imagine!

I really would like them to make something big out of Kathy's return. Kathy is one of DTC's favourites by the sounds of it, and this really should he a massive event for EastEnders, especially as her return scene was probably their most spectacular scene, since Bradley's death and Stacey's confession, in the 2010 live episode...

They could also do like a 5 episode week and an hour long episode on the Thursday or something for this! I really do hope we get something massive and not just a normal week, with one strong episode, or something like that... That would be far too minor for Kathy's return!

This gives a lot of actors/actress's and characters a real chance to shine... Especially Adam Woodyatt! I think Adam will nail these scenes. It's going to probably be the biggest shock of Ian's life and his reaction is bound to be powerful/heartbreaking! Also, Ben, Phil, Sharon, etc... Ian also suffers from mental health problems (I think?), so this looks like it could be extremely dynamic! If these scenes are moving and powerful, which I imagine they will be and are aired before the BSA's (They might just get Gillian back in time and start filming in time), this could also increase Adam's chances of winning the best actor award, which is highly deserved anyway...

So yes, this really does have HUGE potential!

Thought's?:).

Comments

• summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I hate to tell you this Lou, but judging from your post (in fact, after just reading the first line) I can 100% guarantee you that whatever her return storyline will be, you're not going to be satisfied.

Best way to enjoy a storyline is not to build it up and over-think it too much before it happens, but rather let it take you by pleasant surprise.

One person's idea of a "huge" storyline is another person's "rubbish".

All I ask is that it's well written. It doesn't need to be massive.

I'm not trying to patronise you I just think whatever happens won't be good enough if you're pre-analysing it this much this far in advance.
  • I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Kathy's return has the potential to be MASSIVE, and I seriously think DTC and his team are missing out, if they don't have an absolute maximum buzz around Kathy's return...

It doesn't.
    Kathy Beale is an iconic EastEnders character and she is connected to the two biggest families on the square, the Beale's and the Mitchell's.

Ten years ago maybe, not now.
    I'm sorry Carter fans, but these 2 families ARE the shows most popular families!

In your opinion. The fact that most awards won by EastEnders this year have had an affiliation with the Carters doesn't suggest that they're by any means unpopular, in fact the opposite.
    Kathy's return will enable the Beale's and Mitchell's to take centre stage once more and give them an even bigger presence on the show (What more could you possible want, other than The Mitchell's returning to The Vic and a Grant return?:p)... Therefore, there's a real opportunity to make something big out of Kathy's return!

The Beales didn't need Kathy to sensationalise their story. It could have been a brilliant time to explore the Bobby story further, instead we'll get ZombieKathy back from the grave.

The Mitchells should not return to The Vic. Their time there was spent. Phil the alcoholic as landlord? No thanks.
    Ian, Kathy, Sharon and Phil are all well known characters, within the British public and I can't wait until these 4 are all involved in a dynamic scene... It's going to be epic TV viewing and pure old school EastEnders!:p.

Ian and Phil are well-known. Sharon is regaining her notoriety. Most people haven't given a rats arse about Kathy in years.
    I think this could be a huge ratings success, if advertised well and if it gets a lot of publicity. I think that the BBC should create alternative adverts and even have pictures of Kathy, Ian, Phil, etc... All over the London Underground, etc... Just like they did for Lucy's murder, as Kathy's return is probably going to be their next biggest storyline!

It won't be a ratings success. They won't promote it because no one other than die hard viewers will care.

There should also be adverts on TV, with the hashtag '#KathysBack', making this a social media talking point, aswell as a public talking point.
    '#EELive' trended for almost a week on twitter, therefore I think if hyped up big enough, '#KathysBack' could trend on twitter aswell!

Twitter's biggest audience is young people. 'Why is Sandy Roscoe in EastEnders?' is a more likely trend.
    They COULD even film abroad, with Ian and Ben (Maybe Phil aswell?), trying to find Kathy... However, idk if the BBC would be willing to pay for all of that... However, I do think they could film around London and that, for this storyline, especially as they filmed by the River Thames for her actual return scene...

Hilarious. You've gone from wanting scenes abroad (why?) to settling for London (which the BBC do anyway) in three sentences.
    I think this could really be a big thing. They could also ask Barbara Windsor to come back for a few episodes, to tie in with her return, as Peggy has clearly got something to do with it, based on her scenes in her previous episode.

Let's not make Kathy's return all about that pint-sized bully please.
    Den's return was huge and I think Kathy's return could be just as huge. The BBC would be really missing out on a trick, if they didn't give this a lot of advertisement.

People won't particularly care, EastEnders has lost the viewers it gained last week already.
    Nick's return wasn't really that big, we kind of knew that he was returning anyway and his offscreen 'death', was only witnessed by around 7 million viewers, whereas Kathy's return was witnessed by around 10.84 million viewers and it wasn't expected by the majority of viewers, I imagine!

None of those people were watching on the off-chance Kathy would return. Moot point.
    I really would like them to make something big out of Kathy's return. Kathy is one of DTC's favourites by the sounds of it, and this really should he a massive event for EastEnders, especially as her return scene was probably their most spectacular scene, since Bradley's death and Stacey's confession, in the 2010 live episode...

It wasn't by any means. It showed that Gillian Taylforth can't act. Kathy Beale would never has seeked Phil's approval.
    They could also do like a 5 episode week and an hour long episode on the Thursday or something for this! I really do hope we get something massive and not just a normal week, with one strong episode, or something like that... That would be far too minor for Kathy's return!

Oh yes because what this sensationalised plot needs is 3 hours dedicated to it explaining how Kathy was kidnapped by the mafia.
    This gives a lot of actors/actress's and characters a real chance to shine... Especially Adam Woodyatt! I think Adam will nail these scenes. It's going to probably be the biggest shock of Ian's life and his reaction is bound to be powerful/heartbreaking! Also, Ben, Phil, Sharon, etc... Ian also suffers from mental health problems (I think?), so this looks like it could be extremely dynamic! If these scenes are moving and powerful, which I imagine they will be and are aired before the BSA's (They might just get Gillian back in time and start filming in time), this could also increase Adam's chances of winning the best actor award, which is highly deserved anyway...

The biggest shock of Ian's life was Lucy's death. Let's not just move on for that because Kathy is back. He should shun her and refuse to speak to her again.

Harry Reid can't act so Ben's reaction will be hysterical. Letitia will pout. Steve will knock it out the park.
    So yes, this really does have HUGE potential!

It doesn't.
    Thought's?:).

No.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    summer_ste wrote: »
    I hate to tell you this Lou, but judging from your post (in fact, after just reading the first line) I can 100% guarantee you that whatever her return storyline will be, you're not going to be satisfied.

Best way to enjoy a storyline is not to build it up and over-think it too much before it happens, but rather let it take you by pleasant surprise.

I'm not trying to patronise you I just think whatever happens won't be good enough if you're pre-analysing it this much this far in advance.

Spot on. Lou does this often, builds up every storyline, telling us how big it *needs* to be, or how storylines *should* happen. I'm not sure how he manages to enjoy the show at all, his expectations for every episode must be far too high to be matched.

I only skimmed this post, as I've read far too many of these things (which is my own fault, I know) but one thing struck me as odd, the completely unnecessary swipe at the Carters/their fans (but I understand every EE thread must have one nowadays.) Also there's already a better hashtag out there which was used for her anniversary return - #KathyComeHome
  • West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of the original cast of 1985 Kathy is one of the least iconic characters.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't.

Ten years ago maybe, not now.

In your opinion. The fact that most awards won by EastEnders this year have had an affiliation with the Carters doesn't suggest that they're by any means unpopular, in fact the opposite.

The Beales didn't need Kathy to sensationalise their story. It could have been a brilliant time to explore the Bobby story further, instead we'll get ZombieKathy back from the grave.

The Mitchells should not return to The Vic. Their time there was spent. Phil the alcoholic as landlord? No thanks.

Ian and Phil are well-known. Sharon is regaining her notoriety. Most people haven't given a rats arse about Kathy in years.

It won't be a ratings success. They won't promote it because no one other than die hard viewers will care.

Twitter's biggest audience is young people. 'Why is Sandy Roscoe in EastEnders?' is a more likely trend.

Hilarious. You've gone from wanting scenes abroad (why?) to settling for London (which the BBC do anyway) in three sentences.

Let's not make Kathy's return all about that pint-sized bully please.

People won't particularly care, EastEnders has lost the viewers it gained last week already.

None of those people were watching on the off-chance Kathy would return. Moot point.

It wasn't by any means. It showed that Gillian Taylforth can't act. Kathy Beale would never has seeked Phil's approval.

Oh yes because what this sensationalised plot needs is 3 hours dedicated to it explaining how Kathy was kidnapped by the mafia.

The biggest shock of Ian's life was Lucy's death. Let's not just move on for that because Kathy is back. He should shun her and refuse to speak to her again.

Harry Reid can't act so Ben's reaction will be hysterical. Letitia will pout. Steve will knock it out the park.

It doesn't.

No.

Ok, that made me laugh!:D.
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Yeah I don't get the swipe at Carter fans either... seems a bit random. I love the Carters, but I'm also a viewer from the beginning who loves the show's original families like the Beales/Fowlers. Am I not allowed to love the Carters then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot on. Lou does this often, builds up every storyline, telling us how big it *needs* to be, or how storylines *should* happen. I'm not sure how he manages to enjoy the show at all, his expectations for every episode must be far too high to be matched.

I only skimmed this post, as I've read far too many of these things (which is my own fault, I know) but one thing struck me as odd, the completely unnecessary swipe at the Carters/their fans (but I understand every EE thread must have one nowadays.) Also there's already a better hashtag out there which was used for her anniversary return - #KathyComeHome

Agreed.

But...

No, I don't say how everything needs to be.

We all have expectations?:/.

I'm not having a dig at Carter fans, I'm just stating the facts.

Is there any need for the 'Lou always does this' comment? No, I really don't think there is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I don't get the swipe at Carter fans either... seems a bit random. I love the Carters, but I'm also a viewer from the beginning who loves the show's original families like the Beales/Fowlers. Am I not allowed to love the Carters then?

Did I say you're not?:/.

I basically said 'Sorry Carter fans, but the Beale's and Mitchell's have proven more popular, with the general audiences'.

Hardly a Carter bashing thread, LOL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of the original cast of 1985 Kathy is one of the least iconic characters.

I disagree... Twitter went into meltdown, when she returned!:p.

Her return also made front page news, the next day.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw poor Lou, I do like your enthusiasm! :D

I would suggest the Beales go to the common to remember Lucy this Good Friday.

Then Ian spots this in the corner of his eye:http://coub.com/view/4it50
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Aw poor Lou, I do like your enthusiasm! :D

I would suggest the Beales go to the common to remember Lucy this Good Friday.

Then Ian spots this in the corner of his eye:http://coub.com/view/4it50

:D:D:D.

That's a good idea for Good Friday though!:p.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree... Twitter went into meltdown, when she returned!:p.

Her return also made front page news, the next day.

Josie Cunningham's NHS funded boobs were on the front page. It didn't mean people liked them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josie Cunningham's NHS funded boobs were on the front page. It didn't mean people liked them.

Two completely different things, but ok.

A lot of people liked Kathy's return.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two completely different things, but ok.

A lot of people liked Kathy's return.

Two completely different things, but comparisons just as ludicrous as the ones you made in your OP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two completely different things, but comparisons just as ludicrous as the ones you made in your OP.

Such as?

I personally don't find any of my opinions 'Ludicrous'...

However, if you can provide me with a structured point as to why their ludicrous, instead of your usual sarcastic comments, we might be able to reach an agreement?:/.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

BIB This is getting so tedious. I think I need to stay away from certain threads from now on. Sorry lou, but if you can't praise your favourites without slagging off the rest of the cast, I'm out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    BIB This is getting so tedious. I think I need to stay away from certain threads from now on. Sorry lou, but if you can't praise your favourites without slagging off the rest of the cast, I'm out.

Did I slag them off though?:p.

All I said was that The Mitchell's and Beale's have proved more popular, when it comes to numbers and I'm not wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some fair points...

We all have our idea's though. I don't think there's nothing wrong with thinking into it and suggesting how it could be panned out.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Did I slag them off though?:p.

All I said was that The Mitchell's and Beale's have proved more popular, when it comes to numbers and I'm not wrong.

I'm not getting into this, it's never ending. You pick one off viewing figures for massive episodes to try and prove your point. It's plain daft IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such as?

I personally don't find any of my opinions 'Ludicrous'...

However, if you can provide me with a structured point as to why their ludicrous, instead of your usual sarcastic comments, we might be able to reach an agreement?:/.

You state your opinions as fact. You emit evidence which contradicts your opinions - such as the fact that the Carter family have won countless VIEWER VOTED awards, despite the fact that in your eyes, the Carters are seen as being less superior than the Mitchells and Beales.

And don't get me started on your generalisations and assumptions from previous threads about how every EastEnders fan loves Peggy Mitchell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I'm not getting into this, it's never ending. You pick one off viewing figures for massive episodes to try and prove your point. It's plain daft IMO.

Not getting into what? I'm only replying to your comment, with a short answer. I'm not trying to start an argument, they're just facts!

The Carter's have also rated well, Linda's storyline rated well around Christmas, but the Beale's and Mitchell's centric episodes have rated higher, that is all I'm saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not getting into what? I'm only replying to your comment, with a short answer. I'm not trying to start an argument, they're just facts!

The Carter's have also rated well, Linda's storyline rated well around Christmas, but the Beale's and Mitchell's centric episodes have rated higher, that is all I'm saying.

Peter and Lauren's exit was seen by 7.8m - in comparison to the 7.9m that watched Johnny come out last year. Does this show the Carters to be more popular than the Beales? No, it shows that on that particular day, more people were watching TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You state your opinions as fact. You emit evidence which contradicts your opinions - such as the fact that the Carter family have won countless VIEWER VOTED awards, despite the fact that in your eyes, the Carters are seen as being less superior than the Mitchells and Beales.

And don't get me started on your generalisations and assumptions from previous threads about how every EastEnders fan loves Peggy Mitchell.

Oh don't worry I am aware Peggy is disliked by some... The thing is though, I don't remember saying everyone loves Peggy, so I think you're just clutching at straws now to try and prove your point.

The Beale's and Mitchell's are superior to The Carters. They are more well known and are more iconic. They also bring in higher ratings and a bigger buzz. The Carter's have won awards, but so have the Beale's and Mitchell's in the past, what exactly are you trying to prove?:/.

I am not stating my opinions as facts either, and if it looks that way, I'm more than likely to just be having a joke about it. If you can find me a comment which suggest that I'm stating my opinion as a fact, then I'll be able to see where you're coming from...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh don't worry I am aware Peggy is disliked by some... The thing is though, I don't remember saying everyone loves Peggy, so I think you're just clutching at straws now to try and prove your point.

The Beale's and Mitchell's are superior to The Carters. They are more well known and are more iconic. They also bring in higher ratings and a bigger buzz. The Carter's have won awards, but so have the Beale's and Mitchell's in the past, what exactly are you trying to prove?:/.

I am not stating my opinions as facts either, and if it looks that way, I'm more than likely to just be having a joke about it. If you can find me a comment which suggest that I'm stating my opinion as a fact, then I'll be able to see where you're coming from...

"The Beales and Mitchells are more superior to The Carters."

There is your evidence of painting opinion as fact and it took me three seconds to find it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter and Lauren's exit was seen by 7.8m - in comparison to the 7.9m that watched Johnny come out last year. Does this show the Carters to be more popular than the Beales? No, it shows that on that particular day, more people were watching TV.

If you're really going to be so picky...

EastEnders February 19th 2015 (The reveal of Lucy BEALES murder) - 10.8 million.
    EastEnders Christmas Day 2014 (Linda revealing her rape ordeal to Mick) - 7.6 million.

Anyway, what has this got to do with Kathy?:/.

The only reason I included it in the thread, was to show that the Beales
    rate highly, and so Kathy's return could also rate highly, as she's a BEALE!

The Carter part was nothing more than a little joke tbh. If you're going to take it as seriously as what you are, I feel sorry for you!:D.