Great British Sewing Bee 8pm BBC2

Comments

• HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lorry wrote: »
    Thanks for that info Janet. I never saw that programme so if anybody knows where I can find it I'd be grateful!

Don't get too excited lorry ... They were all pretty dismal projects. Every single person ... And there are nearly 20 of us at our knitting group said the same. The table runner was awful and we couldn't imagine anybody using it. One of our group was shortlisted for Sewing Bee in the first series and she said if she'd been asked to make such boring stuff she would have refused!

Most of the projects were things like Girl Guides might have made years ago. certainly not "on trend" stuff.
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    lorry, I'll have a go at transferring it to DVD sometime during the week and will let you know if I manage it.

Thank you so much Janet, that is really kind of you. But don't worry now, I've managed to find it online after a LOT of searching! If anybody else would like the link, it's here:

http://www.nowvideo.sx/video/hbv45d5vavz1m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Don't get too excited lorry ... They were all pretty dismal projects. Every single person ... And there are nearly 20 of us at our knitting group said the same. The table runner was awful and we couldn't imagine anybody using it. One of our group was shortlisted for Sewing Bee in the first series and she said if she'd been asked to make such boring stuff she would have refused!

Most of the projects were things like Girl Guides might have made years ago. certainly not "on trend" stuff.

Lol, I'm sort of getting that idea from reviews I've just read. :) Still, at least it's something a bit different to clothes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10516767/The-Great-British-Sewing-Bee-Christmas-Special-BBC-Two-review.html

This just about sums it up. :)

Thing is some of these progs just assume that people will love receiving anything homemade and that often isn't the case. Kirstie Allsopp made some hideous stuff on one of her handmade prog. It was an old glass jar with a plastic snowman in it and some Xmas glitter so it looked like a snow scene. I mean can you imagine any recipient being pleased receiving that from an adult. A 3 year old possibly! :D

On another forum there were comments like "she would lose a friend if she gave me that." Or "it would go straight in the bin."
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    The finish on what they made in the Christmas special was a lot better than you see in the current crop of sewing magazines, which I think is abysmal. Very amateurish.

If you're new to sewing then the projects in that special were fine - not too difficult - but I agree I wouldn't want to give any of them as presents. Being an experienced sewer with a City and Guilds from 1965 and having been taught by a lady who worked on the old Princess Marina's trousseau, and who insisted that every seam be hand neatened even on an apron, I'd only use them as examples for children.

So many have said they want beginner projects and for projects other dressmaking or tailoring, they need somewhere to start.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artytarty wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, obviously I meant to type interested not inter step!
    Personally I don't care much for the walk away dress, I think it would look awful on me, I'm too old!but some of the other patterns sound good.

I know what you mean, I don't know if it was all the binding, but if you didn't use lots of material or have a figure like Vera Ellen in White Christmas, it could easily end up looking like Hilda Ogden's pinny!
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This blogger has done a good review on the book and has made one of the dresses (which is not my cup of tea but looks an interesting make). Includes pictures from the book.

http://www.fehrtrade.com/

also this blogger has made the same dress and seems very impressed with the book

http://didyoumakethat.com/
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving this series and would like Neil to win :)
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »
    This blogger has done a good review on the book and has made one of the dresses (which is not my cup of tea but looks an interesting make). Includes pictures from the book.

http://www.fehrtrade.com/

also this blogger has made the same dress and seems very impressed with the book

http://didyoumakethat.com/
    That review on the first link is really good. Interesting she says people are asking for more advanced projects, but I think there are an equal number without experience who want very easy projects and not clothes so they can get started with sewing.

That dress looks good on the model and on the person doing the review, but I'd look like a dumpling in a sack if I wore it.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    That review on the first link is really good. Interesting she says people are asking for more advanced projects, but I think there are an equal number without experience who want very easy projects and not clothes so they can get started with sewing.

That dress looks good on the model and on the person doing the review, but I'd look like a dumpling in a sack if I wore it.

I think the book should have 'makes' for a mix of skills because this is the kind of show that could encourage non sewers to give it a try. I don't think (?) sewing classes are given in school now so many young people will miss out on it, particularly if there are no family members to encourage them. They need the incentive that this programme and a simple make or two might give them to look for lessons elsewhere. They do need to be things that someone would actually want to make though. Maybe tablet covers etc.
    Personally I think this series started out at too high a level but perhaps that was because of it being only 6 episodes. seriously hope they make it longer next time.
  • AhamPremaAhamPrema Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I bought my copy of the book today as Waitrose were selling £9 off and think it's great value for money. Really useful collection of patterns with clear instructions on how to adjust to fit and a mix of difficulty levels. May Martin suggests treating it like a recipe book, starting with their recommended fabric then experimenting with versions in other fabrics. Lots of good tips for working with the different types of fabric and core skills. Complete beginners might be daunted but plenty of scope for enthusiastic beginners/intermediates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the book should have 'makes' for a mix of skills because this is the kind of show that could encourage non sewers to give it a try. I don't think (?) sewing classes are given in school now so many young people will miss out on it, particularly if there are no family members to encourage them. They need the incentive that this programme and a simple make or two might give them to look for lessons elsewhere. They do need to be things that someone would actually want to make though. Maybe tablet covers etc.
    Personally I think this series started out at too high a level but perhaps that was because of it being only 6 episodes. seriously hope they make it longer next time.

I don't think it was too high a level. The contestants are not supposed to be beginners nor are they given any tuition. They are supposed to be enthusiastic and experienced sewers but not professionals.

My friend was shortlisted for this prog and had to answer questions on masses of technical stuff. The producers have to ensure they are all of a similar level of expertise.
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the fact that the challenges are quite difficult. The first series was a bit too basic. I've never made a kilt, used leather or done any specific pattern matching, so I find it very interesting.

Just like the painting challenge program, which just leaves me in awe.

Each week I try to think what I would do with the conversion challenge in the middle, and some weeks I know immediately what I would do (a kimono coat out of the curtains - lovely) but some I am left completely clueless (this week's 80s suits).
    Forum Member
    Tonight - lace, neoprene and leather!

Really looking forward to it. I've sewn lace and leather without any problem, but neoprene?

This year is definitely more of a challenge than the previous two series. Makes me wonder how they could possibly top it next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see them make a wedding dress, or separates to make up a whole outfit. They'd probably need a whole day to do either of these though.
  • ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the links on this thread. Very interesting!

I shall have to miss tonight's viewing (BAH!) so will have to watch on 'catch-up' but still really looking forward to it.

ETA: ps. Talking of leather, lace, and neoprene, did anyone ever watch a 'fashion design' competition 'Project Runway' on Sky some time ago? I used to love that too!

• AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all xx
  • brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening!
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello :) Ive gradually got hooked on this show, it seems to be quite early to be the semi final.

A lace pencil skirt, I don't think I've seen one, or would wear one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should be a real challenge ... Working with lace.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this show might peek here for me tonight because I don't like Neil or Lorna, despite them being good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lace skirt on the mannequin looks nice - i wouldn't wear it but it does look nice!
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening everyone
  • SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think (?) sewing classes are given in school now so many young people will miss out on it, particularly if there are no family members to encourage them.

We live in Switzerland and our son had sewing lessons in the first four years of secondary school. He made some amazing things and was actually rather good at it.
    Now he's in 5 th year they're doing cookery instead. The class are cooking a three course meal for all the parents tomorrow evening so that'll be one evening I don't have to cook.

Now that he's toddled of upstairs I can sit down and watch the programme.:) I've never sewn neoprene before so this should be interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil reminds me of the not so camp Louis Spence to look at :o