Alien vs Aliens

thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which of these do you think is the better film? I've always held the belief that it's Ridley Scott's film. It's just a sci-fi masterpiece. I really Aliens, it's like a good popcorn film should. But it's not as perfect and timeless as Alien which is far superior.

Comments

• NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go!

I'd lay money that the vast majority agree with you. I think it's a dead heat. No need to defend Alien of course, but here's some of my thinking for the sequel

1 - it's a sequel. And it's GOOD. Better than good. Right there Cameron gets kudos - history shows how rare this is.

2 - it's its own film, but in the same universe. Doesn't try to replicate the brilliance of the first, but beats its own path, on its own terms.

3 - it makes sense. There's a strong logic to the premise and the unfolding plot.

4 - Newt. Actually, this is the biggie. Call me old fashioned, but I still like a good reason to care in a movie. Carrie Henn plays her brilliantly, and Ripley's bonding rings true. I know it's not dystopian - well hey. It works.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a pointless thread.

Why do you even think it's nescessary to make a comparison?

I love both movies...they are both different...Alien is more horror/thriller orientated, Aliens is more gung-ho, all-out action.
  • thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a pointless thread.

Why do you even think it's nescessary to make a comparison?

I love both movies...they are both different...Alien is more horror/thriller orientated, Aliens is more gung-ho, all-out action.

I don't think Aliens is as good as Alien. Yes it's different and doesn't try and copy it's predecessor. That's what I like about it. But it still has that cheesy typical James Cameron dialogue. Plus it isn't as well shot as Alien.

Just my opinion. I was having a debate with a mate of mine and he's a bit an Aliens fanboy.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alien may be the better film but I've watched Aliens more times , talk about your money's worth - Aliens is fantastic .
  • stormtrooper123stormtrooper123 Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Aliens. I found Alien strangely dull :o
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Alien. The other one is just a trite popcorn film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't make me choose love both I even like three:o I surpose if I had to pick one I'd say Alien but it's a close one.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer Alien.

Aliens is brash, loud, one liners of US bravado, action-packed and big guns. I'm not a fan of this type. I don't like similar big-gun action films of the 1980s and 1990s.

To be honest, I hated the Newt sub-plot. Her existence alone is why I rarely re-watch this film.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Aliens and would put it in my top 20 movies of all time but I would put Alien in my top 5.

I cared about every character in Alien which made it a real rollercoaster ride. I love everything about it, not least the conversations around the table which are some of the most natural scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

I've seen both movies this year and while I find Alien to be as fresh as when it originally came out, imo Aliens is not ageing as well.

I also feel that Alien 3 did Aliens no favours
    At the end of Aliens when Ripley says that she is going back for Newt, I cannot help thinking 'Don't bother'
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

To be honest, I hated the Newt sub-plot. Her existence alone is why I rarely re-watch this film.

At least Alien3 redressed the balance on that score. ;)
  • ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens for me, both are superb films but Aliens is one of those I can watch over and over again. Roll on Prometheus :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aliens for me but only just, but both are classics, shame we had alien 3 and 4.
  • thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens for me but only just, but both are classics, shame we had alien 3 and 4.

I've always liked Alien 3, well the special edition at least. Not perfect but I've always tried to defend Alien 3. Resurrection however was rubbish.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens for me. its my all time favourite movie since I first saw at the tender age of 8 :D:D

Coincidentally this week, I saw it on the cinema here in Edinburgh. Alien was on last month as well, but I missed that. It was shown in original 70mm film. No special edition, no digital remastering, just the original 1986 film - with scrathes and jumps/skips in the film an' all. it was just awesome. I haven't actually seen the Theatrical Version for 20 years now - since the Special Edition had become the norm :D:D:D:D:D. I loved every second of it - and watching it in a full to the brim cinema with people around you who have never seen it before was awesome - jumping and gasping in bits :eek:
    But can not deny the magnificence of Alien as well though - but Aliens is MY no.1 :D
  • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alien may be the better film but I've watched Aliens more times , talk about your money's worth - Aliens is fantastic .

Yep , I've watched Aliens more than any other film and never get bored of it ..... one of my favorite ever movies if not my favorite .......

Alien i like a lot but its a definate 2nd to Aliens for me.
  • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I loved Aliens and would put it in my top 20 movies of all time but I would put Alien in my top 5.

I cared about every character in Alien which made it a real rollercoaster ride. I love everything about it, not least the conversations around the table which are some of the most natural scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

I've seen both movies this year and while I find Alien to be as fresh as when it originally came out, imo Aliens is not ageing as well.

I also feel that Alien 3 did Aliens no favours
    At the end of Aliens when Ripley says that she is going back for Newt, I cannot help thinking 'Don't bother'

Its aged great , it will still be a classic must see 50 years from now.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheFridge wrote: »
    Its aged great , it will still be a classic must see 50 years from now.

If you're going to quote me then please quote the entire sentence.

It was 'imo Aliens is not ageing as well.' which is factually correct whereas 'Its aged great , it will still be a classic must see 50 years from now' is pure speculation..
  • Mr PercyMr Percy Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Alien
    Aliens
    Alien 3
    Alien - Ressurection
    Alien VS Predetor 1
    Alien VS Predetor 2
    Prometheus
    Alien 5 - Could be made

Anyone want to give a detailed description to all films above?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    If you're going to quote me then please quote the entire sentence.

It was 'imo Aliens is not ageing as well.' which is factually correct whereas 'Its aged great , it will still be a classic must see 50 years from now' is pure speculation..

:confused: what bit was left out ?
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should add a poll. I saw Aliens in my early twenties and loved it. Ridley Scott films on the whole I just can't get into. I like them a lot better than his brother's films that I've seen though.
  • emily222emily222 Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both were excellent and very very different, but if I had to chose, it would have to be Aliens.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    At least Alien3 redressed the balance on that score. ;)

Ah, I haven't seen Alien 3. Newt is in this film much? Or is it good enough for me to tolerate her presence?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Ah, I haven't seen Alien 3. Newt is in this film much? Or is it good enough for me to tolerate her presence?

Alien 3 spoiler:
    Newt and Hicks are killed off-screen at the beginning.

I think it's crap, not worth watching at all. Although it's not anywhere near as bad as Resurrection...
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer Aliens because it's more my kind of film. I prefer SF to horror. I don't especially enjoy suspense. I like to see the monster. Also, Alien is weakened for me by the scenes of poor visibility, and all the strobe lights.

That said, both are great films and it doesn't bother me if other people like Alien more. (There's a scene in Ally McBeal where she fires her baby sitter for not liking Moulin Rouge. She felt it meant there was something wrong with him that made him unfit to be around children. I feel that way about some films, but not either Alien or Aliens.)
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens - slow burn, paranoia thriller
    Aliens - macho, gung-ho, action thriller

Both contain an Alien killing people but both very unique within their own parameters.
    Incomparable.

Personally, I like Alien 3 and Resurrection but they don't come close to the first two.