What can we ban this time? Tom Jones "Delilah"?

steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2868432/Why-Campaign-launched-ban-singing-Tom-Jones-hit-Delilah-Welsh-rugby-matches-glorifies-domestic-violence.html

Welsh politician Dafydd Iwan wants the song banned at Welsh Rugby matches as it "glorifies" violence against women and promotes "revenge killing".

"Ban" the buzz word of 2014, everyone is constantly offended.

Comments

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2868432/Why-Campaign-launched-ban-singing-Tom-Jones-hit-Delilah-Welsh-rugby-matches-glorifies-domestic-violence.html

Welsh politician Dafydd Iwan wants the song banned at Welsh Rugby matches as it "glorifies" violence against women and promotes "revenge killing".

I guess he has a point. It is, after all, sung from the POV of a man who has committed a domestic murder in a fit of jealous rage. Something that happens in this country week in, week out.
  • MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's never offended me, but I suspect if someone wrote a song now with the lines "She stood there laughing, I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more", it might get just a tiny bit of criticism.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stoke City fans would be offended if this song was banned.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man walks into the doctor's and says -

"Doctor, I've got this terrible compunction to sing "Delilah" all the time!"

"Oh - I know what that is," says the doctor, "You've got a bad case of Tom Jones' Disease."

"Is that common???"

"Well - It's Not Unusual...."
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sort of take it as a folk ballad type of thing (like those passed on orally through the ages about dramatic incidents - I know it's a fairly recently composed pop song) and not as something that endorses violence.

I think it's so familiar that it's lost its power to shock or contribute to a climate of violence.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little perspective I think...

One single politician wants it to be banned at football matches. Which means it will probably come to nothing and will never happen.

Besides - how do you stop hundreds of football fans singing a song anyway?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I never shot his deputy!
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For us stoke fans its more about that we all are well packing in the todger department :D she stood there laughing...i slapped my dick in her hand and she laughed no more
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

# I felt the knife in my hand, and she laughed no more#

Those kind of lyrics might have been OK back in the swinging sixties, but not today. It's glamorising murder.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    It's a catchy tune and for most people, that's all that matters.

I doubt 99% of the people singing it think of the 'meaning' behind it. Perhaps the people trying to ban it should put their energy towards petitioning to change the lyrics.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    I sort of take it as a folk ballad type of thing (like those passed on orally through the ages about dramatic incidents - I know it's a fairly recently composed pop song) and not as something that endorses violence.

I think it's so familiar that it's lost its power to shock or contribute to a climate of violence.

Me too, its like saying opera or Shakespeare glorifies violence, they're dramas and stories of traumatic and dramatic events.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sl*g deserved it!
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

Those kind of lyrics might have been OK back in the swinging sixties, but not today. It's glamorising murder.

So do quite a few modern songs. What's your point Grandad? What next, will you be calling for the banning of Opera too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And you've opened the OP and just got angry about it.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please tell me you're on the wind-up!
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    So do quite a few modern songs. What's your point Grandad?

Kylie MInogue & Nick Cave - Where The Wild Roses Grow" for one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's your point Grandad? ?
    His point seems to be it was ok in the 60's to stab a woman but we shouldn't be doing that stuff anymore.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do quite a few modern songs. What's your point Grandad? What next, will you be calling for the banning of Opera too?

How does it glamorise murder?
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Me too, its like saying opera or Shakespeare glorifies violence, they're dramas and stories of traumatic and dramatic events.
    Yes, exactly. It's not like opposing fans singing the Horst Wessel song at White Hart Lane or anything like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    They can ban the version by Tom Jones if we get to keep the version by Alex Harvey (SAHB). Everytime I hear this song it reminds me of seeing Alex Harvey in Concert. I can't get upset by the whole Violence against Women etc in this song. It is just sheer entertainment.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    alex harvey did it better.

there are lots of songs about bad things.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Kylie MInogue & Nick Cave - Where The Wild Roses Grow" for one.

nick cave The Murder Ballads a whole albums worth ....people will be passing out with outrage
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I said, "My name is Sue! How do you do?
    Now you're gonna die"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
    And he went down, but to my surprise
    He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear
    But I busted a chair right across his teeth
    And we crashed through the wall and into the street
    Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer

Better ban it, encourages father-son violence
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Why? Why?