Options

Luminar to enter administration

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
Forum Member
3000 jobs at risk and potentially the beginning of the end for the Commercial Nightclub:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8851474/Luminar-to-go-into-adminstration.html

A sad day, but probably one brought forward by the smoking ban and changes in licencing laws- gone are the days where a nightclub was the only place you could get a drink after 11pm!

Incidentally, the current boss of Luminar's previous job was MD of Zavvi :eek:

Comments

• Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without sounding ignorant. Not a sad day at all. Luminar's management of nightclubs was terrible.

It also shows the public are fed up of chain nightclubs, it never worked and served luminar right for buying out local clubs then turning them all into a brand. Its hard for clubs to have a USP when they're the same in every city. Plus they were already in debt before they bought more clubs which wasn't a good move.

Hopefully its the return of the independently run clubs or smaller groups. Where nightlife is different in every city.

The bigger luminar got the worse their clubs got, commercial nightclubs will still be about but ran better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea who they are but any company that loses £198m in the last financial year doesn't seem to have a very good business plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HMV are the most obvious to buy them out completely. It would make perfect sense
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's strange because their clubs in Nottingham were always busy whenever I had the occasion to be in there.. maybe those sales were offset by the places that weren't doing so well.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shite horrible tacky pits with extra arsehole door staff. Shame about the jobs though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh the one in Nottingham wasn't; at least, the VIP area was dead nice ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh the one in Nottingham wasn't; at least, the VIP area was dead nice ;)

Was it an Oceana?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Was it an Oceana?

Yep - in fairness the rest of the club was okay as well when you fancied venturing out for a boogie. This is why I can't understand their problems, unless, like many of the club chains that crash, it turns out that lots of money has found its way into yachts and sunshine villas in Northern Cyprus for the owners when it should really have been fed back into the chain. Not that I'm saying they have of course, but similar things have happened with other chains.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep - in fairness the rest of the club was okay as well when you fancied venturing out for a boogie. This is why I can't understand their problems, unless, like many of the club chains that crash, it turns out that lots of money has found its way into yachts and sunshine villas in Northern Cyprus for the owners when it should really have been fed back into the chain. Not that I'm saying they have of course, but similar things have happened with other chains.

I think Luminar places only work in smaller towns now where there is limited choice. Stealth and Rescue Rooms (in Nottingham for example), plus other more niche music venues tend to be so much better in larger cities now that people don't want to go and hear Abba or Rhianna week in week out on a night out.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they have any properties in Scotland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    I think Luminar places only work in smaller towns now where there is limited choice. Stealth and Rescue Rooms (in Nottingham for example), plus other more niche music venues tend to be so much better in larger cities now that people don't want to go and hear Abba or Rhianna week in week out on a night out.

Yep that's true, although Nottingham's a pretty good city for variety being small and sustained by two huge universities!

Add the Cookie Club and the Social to the two you mention, and I doubt clubs as small as that would survive in many other cities, unless they were those with a dedicated 'underground' music scene that we've always been blessed with here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep that's true, although Nottingham's a pretty good city for variety being small and sustained by two huge universities!

Add the Cookie Club and the Social to the two you mention, and I doubt clubs as small as that would survive in many other cities, unless they were those with a dedicated 'underground' music scene that we've always been blessed with here.

Never a truer word spoken :)
  • Options
    Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    "Information

We can confirm that tragically one person died and two people were injured at the Lava Ignite Nightclub in Northampton in the early hours of the morning on Wednesday 19th October."

I'm sorry, but that should never have been allowed to happen.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Well, if the nightclub they operate here closes I reckon the crime rate will drop by 70%
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I work at a beautiful venue, holds 2000+ people, big stars - like chipmonk, professor green, n dubz, ms dynamite, chase & status, roll deep etc perform and this is only a small organization, not a national chain.

Well, he runs 3 venues all within the local area :

http://www.ws1nightclub.co.uk/
    http://www.vogue-nightclub.com/
    http://www.coutureleisure.com/

Maybe this is the way forward, stay local, know your market.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burstfire wrote: »
    HMV are the most obvious to buy them out completely. It would make perfect sense

Is that a joke? LOL! HMV is in serious trouble itself. A few years ago, the share price of HMV was over £1. The share price is now 4p. :eek:
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member

A joke presumably? I hope so anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HMV are buying nightclubs though. They just bought and done up the Ritz in Manchester, and now it's called HMV Ritz.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No its not a joke...

According to the papers HMV are in pole position for buying out the company completely. Infact they're the only group big enough to do this, otherwise itl have to be broken up.

HMV are still buying nightclubs despite being in serious trouble, before Luminar went under HMV actually considered merging with the company anyway.
    HMV know that their shops won't last very long as nobody buys cds anymore, so this would be their perfect opportunity to jump ship and move into another industry while they're still going.
  • Options
    myscrapbook2011myscrapbook2011 Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No its not a joke...

According to the papers HMV are in pole position for buying out the company completely. Infact they're the only group big enough to do this, otherwise itl have to be broken up.

HMV are still buying nightclubs despite being in serious trouble, before Luminar went under HMV actually considered merging with the company anyway.
    HMV know that their shops won't last very long as nobody buys cds anymore, so this would be their perfect opportunity to jump ship and move into another industry while they're still going.

WRONG - Atmosphere Bars & Clubs are in a position to buy the group in it's entirity - they are owned by venture capitalists Sun Captial Partners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't surprise me if HMV do buy out this Club group, as Simon Douglas who is the CEO used to be a director at HMV. Then he "left" HMV to join Zavi.
    Thankfuly Simon took a lot of his "northen monkeys" with him when he left HMV, to Zavi, which went bust (Laugh I nearly cried), and now it looks like his buisness acumen has followed him to club land.

LOL Just found out one of Simon's "friends" from HMV who followed him to Zavi, is also head of eCommerce at Luminar....well was.....
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luminar has been bought

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/3991019/Luminar-deal-saves-3000-jobs.html

But yesterday a consortium of leisure industry experts, led by former Luminar exec Peter Marks, bought the embattled outfit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Undercover boss is on now CH4, the guy who bought it is investigating
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,704
    Forum Member
    I didn't know the back story of Luminar, but watching the board meeting and listening to its members I wasn't at all surprised they're struggling.

So the buyout was by the highly originally named Ranimul 2? They really didn't seem to have the first idea.

Things didn't seem to get much better after the take-over either if this report's anything to go by.