Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 9)

Comments

• barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think I could loathe another character as much as I loathe Kerry , but Amy really is a chip off the old block .Two thick heads who deserve each other .None of Eric's time , kindness or wisdom has even penetrated Amy's pig headed skull - he was casting pearl amongst swine trying to enlighten Amy . As for Kerry ,she came into Emm a brawling mess and looks like she may go out the same way ( hopefully ).
  • avaconradavaconrad Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    If she did then her judgment is questionable. If she didn't then her judgment is questionable. :cool:

It just seems to me to be an awful storyline, maybe they all put their effect into the Cameron storyline.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I understand what everybody is saying, and agree with a lot of it, but personally, I still think the Amy/Kyle was a good sl in principle.

Tbh, whatever Amy's (many) faults, I think she was genuinely horrified that the loving family she had given up Kyle for, for his benefit, was suddenly and tragically all but eliminated, and at that point, I don't think it was unreasonable for her, (as a young inexperienced teenager), to think that it would be best if she took him back.

Yes, she's gone about it all the wrong way, (largely thanks to the stupid egging-on of her stupid so-called 'mother figures', Val and Kerry, who both acted unbelievably unrealistically imo), and that is the only reason the sl went pear-shaped for me.

Amy's leaving very shortly and it's obvious it can't be a happy ending for her, just as it wouldn't be in real life under these circumstances.:( I've still found the whole thing entertaining though. :)
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as frustrating as the Amy storyline is I am enjoying as well but maybe it's because I know it's over soon and hasn't lasted months and months.
  • 80's Gal80's Gal Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Amy / Kyle SL had real potential.

When the announcement was made that Denise Black was joining the cast I thought that they would probably end up moving to the village and that Amy (and eventually Cain) would play a part in his life.

The SL seemed to start out this way with Joanie initially being horrified when she found out who Amy was, but then agreeing to let Amy see him.

Just my opinion, but I honestly believe that the SL has been rewritten because Chelsea Halfpenny decided to leave. To me, it's the only explanation why she has suddenly turned into Kerry's daughter - when only a short while ago it was Amy who was the more grown up of the two.
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avaconrad wrote: »
    The whole Amy/Kyle storyline has been a major failure as fas as I'm concerned.

I wonder if Kate Oates planned it this way.

I would bet money on the answer being no.
    80's Gal wrote: »

When the announcement was made that Denise Black was joining the cast I thought that they would probably end up moving to the village and that Amy (and eventually Cain) would play a part in his life.

The SL seemed to start out this way with Joanie initially being horrified when she found out who Amy was, but then agreeing to let Amy see him.

Just my opinion, but I honestly believe that the SL has been rewritten because Chelsea Halfpenny decided to leave
    . To me, it's the only explanation why she has suddenly turned into Kerry's daughter - when only a short while ago it was Amy who was the more grown up of the two.

Was about to make the exact same post 80's :) You've saved me a job so I'll just say, I agree ;)
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the aspects of Amy's rantings that have grated on me is the relentless reference to Joanie's age .It's true to say when you are as young as Amy ,Joanie may seem a good age .But she hurls it about in a spiteful way , implying her youth would be better for Kyle than Joanie's age .I bet there's many a nan bringing up kids , let alone of a lot of older mums who would like to say oi !! what you implying ? :)
    The fact that she's showing her true colours now means she can depart with ease .In that way , they have adapted the story line very well :p
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    OK, I understand what everybody is saying, and agree with a lot of it, but personally, I still think the Amy/Kyle was a good sl in principle.

Tbh, whatever Amy's (many) faults, I think she was genuinely horrified that the loving family she had given up Kyle for, for his benefit, was suddenly and tragically all but eliminated, and at that point, I don't think it was unreasonable for her, (as a young inexperienced teenager), to think that it would be best if she took him back.

Yes, she's gone about it all the wrong way, (largely thanks to the stupid egging-on of her stupid so-called 'mother figures', Val and Kerry, who both acted unbelievably unrealistically imo), and that is the only reason the sl went pear-shaped for me.
    I agree with all of the above, and I'm sure Chelsea Halfpenny leaving is why it seems to be rushing to a conclusion now. I'm glad that they didn't go down the route of having social services backing her, and that she's clearly being portrayed as in the wrong. I must admit I'm tired of repetitive confrontational scenes but I'm still intrigued to find out what happens to Amy and Kyle.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrowgirl wrote: »
    Oh great D.H. does that mean she goes off in a huff or gets put away , or gets booted out of the village ?

there was a time when I thought she would soften and Joanie would see the good in her and the 2 would go off into the sunset to raise Kyle .Now however , I couldn't wish that fate on either Joanie or Kyle .:(

BIB I don't care just so long as she goes., and takes vile Val and skanky Kerry with her, please.
  • spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy has been vile, spiteful, vindictive and absolutely beyond the pale since the day she moved into t'village. Spouting her bile at all and sundry and thanks to Mr Blackbum, never having to apologise or account for her disgusting ways.

I fully agree with you. I'm just curious why it's taken so long for a backlash against this miserable, whiney hag?
    To be fair Amy though, its not just her. All the young women - Debbie. Amy. Katie. Priya. Alicia first time around - have been written in very unsympathetic ways at times and all have been on the receiving end of abuse on the forums, it's just taken longer than it should have for Amy to start getting it in the neck.
    Victoria is nagging, gobby fishwife but gets away with it because she's given some amusing lines along the way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spunger wrote: »
    I fully agree with you. I'm just curious why it's taken so long for a backlash against this miserable, whiney hag?
    To be fair Amy though, its not just her. All the young women - Debbie. Amy. Katie. Priya. Alicia first time around - have been written in very unsympathetic ways at times and all have been on the receiving end of abuse on the forums, it's just taken longer than it should have for Amy to start getting it in the neck.
    Victoria is a nagging, gobby fishwife but gets away with it because she's given some amusing lines along the way.

Not quite. She can be a bit naggy but she's also a very caring person, who has supported Amy all the way in a one-sided friendship. Victoria was fantastic during the Alan Turner death story, and she helped facilitate Ashley conducting the funeral service. Don't paint her as just one thing when she clearly isn't.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night Amy was her usual happy, charming self, ripping up her college education and being completely vile to vile Val and jellyfish Eric.

Tonight, she and Slugden turned up at Joanie's house and made a holy show of herself bawling and bellowing that she as to see Kyle. Does she realise what a nasty bully she is, or has she learnt her lesson from vile Valerie so well that she thinks, "I want it, so I must have it or I will throw an almighty strop until I get it ? I hope that Joanie ws calling the police when the ep ended.

Does she EVER think of the affect on the child of some raging loony banging on his front door? Even if he's not frightened by the physicality of it all it will probably unsettle him seeing his Grandma on edge and worried all the time.

As for the scenes when Kerry was supposed to be starting to climb up the building - I have no words :rolleyes:

(Jellyfish Eric - lol!)
    Thank goodness Kerry and Amy have been arrested! How disgusting of the pair of them to turn up at Joanie's home, kicking off! I have no sympathy for Amy at all, she's acted like an immature idiot and has shown that she shouldn't be allowed near Kyle. Joanie gave her a chance but she pushed and demanded and effectively stalked the pair of them. As far as I'm concerned, they should throw away the key as I'm sick of Amy's miserable fizzog!

This!
    star89 wrote: »
    Jasmine

I can but I warn you this storyline gets me angry

She was 16.

Jasmine was 16 when Cain got her pregnant. She had an abortion on the 7th August 06 and she turned 17 on the 16th August 06.

I cannot tell you the date/nor time/nor place it was conceived because they slept together more than once :mad: However she had an abortion 7/08/06

He might not be one of those but back then he was a vile, cruel man and a terrible father

*For what it's worth I love Cain now but back then.. not so much.

I love the way you know all the details :D
    Further proof that it's Cain who's always been the number one slag in the village.

Undoubtedly.

But is it really a surprise when he's so Goddamm sexy, the women just can't keep their paws of him! :D
    In theory I agree .But as you saw from the last episode , they weren't listening to the police , Kerry was almost breaking in , and Amy spits venom into her face at every given opportunity .
    She has been way too soft with them , and for the sake of Kyle , she would be better moving as the aggravating pair of loons won't take no for an answer .They know where she is now- she'll never have a minutes peace .Best cut her losses and disappear .

Jimmy S - couldn't agree more !

BIB: I couldn't agree more. I know she shouldn't have to move and uproot herself but personally I'd do anything to get away from those mad bitches. While they know where you live you'd never have any peace of mind. Plus with them coming across as somewhat common (apologies if that sounds snobby!) a woman like JoanieMan might think there'll be other reprisals such as having her windows put out, she'll not know what they're going to stop at so in her position I'd move.

Amy's leaving very shortly and it's obvious it can't be a happy ending for her, just as it wouldn't be in real life under these circumstances. I've still found the whole thing entertaining though.

I agree that the storyline had fantastic potential at the beginning (i.e. when she found out the parents were dead) and I had some sympathy back then because you would wonder who was looking after the child now etc. But as per usual Amy has gone about everything in the worse possible way which has been somewhat annoying to watch at times, scratch that, MOST of the time but the offshoot is that it's given me something to nash my teeth over :D Like I've always said, if soap characters did everything 'right' we'd have nothing to talk/rant about!
    80's Gal wrote: »

Just my opinion, but I honestly believe that the SL has been rewritten because Chelsea Halfpenny decided to leave. To me, it's the only explanation why she has suddenly turned into Kerry's daughter - when only a short while ago it was Amy who was the more grown up of the two.

Although we're always told that storylines are dreamt up months, sometimes a year, a head in this instance I agree that it does feel rather rushed. I wonder if Chelsea Halfpenny took TPTB by surprise by not renewing her contract? Perhaps she had every intention of doing so but then had a last minute change of heart necessitating the changing of the storyline? I think you're onto something here 80's Gal.
    One of the aspects of Amy's rantings that have grated on me is the relentless reference to Joanie's age .It's true to say when you are as young as Amy ,Joanie may seem a good age .But she hurls it about in a spiteful way , implying her youth would be better for Kyle than Joanie's age .I bet there's many a nan bringing up kids , let alone of a lot of older mums who would like to say oi !! what you implying ?
    The fact that she's showing her true colours now means she can depart with ease .In that way , they have adapted the story line very well.

BIB: That reminds me of an interview I read with Denise Black (could have been when she was on celeb Masterchef) where she said she'd let her grey hair come in for her ED role. It makes me wonder if she was asked to do so or if she took that decision on herself? But if she was asked was it a cack-handed attempt to make us viewers notice just how 'old' JoanieMan was in comparison to the youthful (but bloody idiotic) AmyMan so we'd perhaps be more on Amy's side in this? Which makes me also wonder if TPTB expect us to actually be on Amy's side? :eek: Well if so, as the kids would say, EPIC FAIL if the poll on this thread is anything to go by!
    BIB I don't care just so long as she goes., and takes vile Val and skanky Kerry with her, please.

TBH I hoping that Eric leaves Val for this. She's has repeatedly put Amy first and rode rough-shod over his feelings, at times treating him like a joke, that she would absolutely deserve it. But I have a feeling we'll see a broken hearted Val STILL blaming Eric and Eric STILL sucking up to her :mad:

It does make you wonder what on earth they're going to do with Eric and Val now though? Since Val stumbled across Amy hiding out in their cellar their lives (and storylines) have completely revolved around her. The storyliners might have to actually start using their imaginations now and realise that middle-aged people DO have lives of their own and not everything revolves around their ruddy kids!!!!
    Victoria is nagging, gobby fishwife but gets away with it because she's given some amusing lines along the way.

BIB: Spunger the earlier parts of this thread are FILLED with posters slagging off Amy :D I couldn't bloomin' stand her when she first arrived and led Val and Eric and merry dance with them repeatedly forgiving her no matter what the little bitch did :mad: I only started to like her after she had Kyle and seemed to grow up and have repeatedly praised her characterisation, the way they had her evolve. Pity she's now reverted to selfish little toad again.

And leave Victoria alone *shakes fist* She's brilliant :D
    Not quite. She can be a bit naggy but she's also a very caring person, who has supported Amy all the way in a one-sided friendship. Victoria was fantastic during the Alan Turner death story, and she helped facilitate Ashley conducting the funeral service. Don't paint her as just one thing when she clearly isn't.

I couldn't agree more Citadel!
  • spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was great during Alan's death and funeral story and i also agree her friendship with Amy was very one sided.
    But that shouldn't hide the fact that she is a nagging, gobby fishwife.
  • avaconradavaconrad Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just dropped my sister at Manchester Airport and just seen Chas I wonder if she is flying to Australia for I'm a celebrity ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was great during Alan's death and funeral story and i also agree her friendship with Amy was very one sided.
    But that shouldn't hide the fact that she is a nagging, gobby fishwife.

It doesn't 'hide' anything. You tried to paint Victoria as a two-dimensional character. I explained why she wasn't and you conceded that what I offered in her defence was true. Her naggyness is one element of a complex and generally positive personality.
  • Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and she tends to "nag" Andy, who does need the odd prod, dopey Adumb and TRIES to talk sense to Amy
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just dropped my sister at Manchester Airport and just seen Chas I wonder if she is flying to Australia for I'm a celebrity ?

Eek! You mean you didn't stalk her all the way airside and check which flight she was on and then ask her for 30 autographs for your DS friends?

Frankly, I feel let down here, ava. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and she tends to "nag" Andy, who does need the odd prod, dopey Adumb and TRIES to talk sense to Amy

Every woman nags Andy because he's a complete moron! Adumb isn't much better... :o
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amy was growing up a lot until Kyle re appeared and she reverted to screechy, whiny, self centred and dishonest. It's all Kyle's fault:D
    Victoria is stroppy, demanding, a nag, downright rude at times and a bit of a fishwife. She's also kindhearted, has a sensible head on her shoulders and is very protective of those she cares about. She's quite upbeat and positive as well, which makes a nice change in a soap.
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I love the way you know all the details :D

At least I'm good for something :o:D

:eek: And you didn't ask?
    I do hope so Lucy will be fab in the jungle :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eek! You mean you didn't stalk her all the way airside and check which flight she was on and then ask her for 30 autographs for your DS friends?

Frankly, I feel let down here, ava. :(

I'm disappointed too, please tell us that you bribed the airline and have a copy of her flight itinerary :D
  • Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call Andy a moron, he seems to just want to live in piece and raise his children as best he can
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glendarroch's now off to research 'how to get an acting job in Emmerdale':D:D

The best person you can ask is Natalie Robb. I don't specifically mean because of her connections with Cain ;) but because her career has already made the transformation from Glendarroch to Emmerdale! :cool::D
    Maybe she thrives on the attention of playing the poor old grandmother who is being bullied by her grandson's biological mom.

Indeed, I think part of the storyline is that she is so grief-stricken by losing her daughter in the car crash that she feels having custody for Kyle compensates, never mind how Amy feels.

Ironically, it was Kerry rather than Amy who was irresponsible on Friday but alas Joanie does not seem likely to see the difference. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    I do hope so Lucy will be fab in the jungle :)

I think she'd be great too, I just hope she doesn't get slaughtered by the gutter press if she does do it :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't call Andy a moron, he seems to just want to live in piece and raise his children as best he can

Apart from that time he beat the crap out of Jo, of course. And he insinuated he would get violent with Kerry not long after she burned his house down if she didn't leave him be. He's just a thug and a thug is a moron.
This discussion has been closed.