Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice between Vettel and Riccardo. I thought Vettel might be a bit angry about the pit strategy.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Let me try retype all of that again :p

Breath back (where did I get bath from) ;-)

I knew what you meant just one of those funny typos :D
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Lucky Rosberg. Nearly pranged it on his own, another opportune lock up when Hamilton was very close, Hamilton retiring, and then Perez holding everyone up in the last 20 laps.

You need a certain amount of luck when it comes to winning championships. That and a shed load of pace to match. Rosberg has both. But he managed his brake and power issues supremely well. Hamilton wasn't able to.

But generally, the best dry Canadian GP I've seen since 1998 (and 2010).
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    He seemed to be taken surprise by Perez braking very early for the corner. Though surely he should have been warned that Perez had brake issues?

Just looked at the crash frame by frame. Perez's car appears to suddenly "go into reverse" when compared to the other two cars.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    He seemed to be taken surprise by Perez braking very early for the corner. Though surely he should have been warned that Perez had brake issues?

He was an idiot for taking the risk in that corner in the first place, he would have been easily past under DRS by the end of the lap. Perez was on the racing line, Massa was moving over to pass and didn't move far enough where he had no need to cut it even remotely close.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need a certain amount of luck when it comes to winning championships. That and a shed load of pace to match. Rosberg has both. But he managed his brake and power issues supremely well. Hamilton wasn't able to.

But generally, the best dry Canadian GP I've seen since 1998 (and 2010).

To be fair to Hamilton, when his brakes went there was nothing he could do. No guarantee Rosberg had a brake problem to anywhere near the same extent. And Hamilton was dealing with the power issue better up to that point.

Mercedes strategy was strange though, they should have pitted laps before they did, as soon as cars lost power - they didn't have enough of a buffer.

What a brilliant race though :D
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    To be fair to Hamilton, when his brakes went there was nothing he could do. No guarantee Rosberg had a brake problem to anywhere near the same extent. And Hamilton was dealing with the power issue better up to that point.

Mercedes strategy was strange though, they should have pitted laps before they did, as soon as cars lost power - they didn't have enough of a buffer.

What a brilliant race though :D

Absolutely stonking race. Although it speaks volumes that even with the Merc's issues, Rosberg almost held out for the win. That's almost tragic.

Ah...nice touch there...Jean Alesi who won his first race here 19 years ago interviewing Ricciardo who's won his first race here. Coincidence?
  • Cassie..Cassie.. Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gutted for HAM but not feeling as bad as I usually would cos im really happy for Ricciardo. First time ive cheered a RedBull on.

Rosberg must be feeling ecstatic inside.
  • BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a corker, my race of the season so far! Well done Daniel.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky Rosberg. Nearly pranged it on his own, another opportune lock up when Hamilton was very close, Hamilton retiring, and then Perez holding everyone up in the last 20 laps.

It's not often that a driver has so much luck in one race. 2 DNFs for Hamilton and none for Rosberg. I hope I'm wrong but that could be championship to Rosberg already. Think how long it took Hamilton to claw back the deficit after he retired in the first race. Only some Rosberg DNFs will stop him being champion now. Reminds me a little of '79 with Gilles much quicker than Scheckter but much worse reliability and luck (ability gap between Lewis and Rosberg much less though).
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was an idiot for taking the risk in that corner in the first place, he would have been easily past under DRS by the end of the lap. Perez was on the racing line, Massa was moving over to pass and didn't move far enough where he had no need to cut it even remotely close.

I guess the argument is that if he left it for the next straight that would be his one and only chance. He was giving himself two opportunities by trying there.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Disappointing result, as a Hamilton fan.

Shame that so many of those following Rosberg (and Perez in particular) seemed content to just sit behind Rosberg rather than challenging him.
    Nice to see DR take the win but it would have been nicer if Vettel, Perez and Massa had managed to get past as well.

Massa just doesn't seem to have that ultimate sharpness that's necessary to be a top F1 driver and his crash was a perfect example of that clumsiness.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's almost poetic that the technology Mercedes drove forward the changes in power, became the issue that lost them a comfortable win and maybe one two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Disappointing result, as a Hamilton fan.

Shame that so many of those following Rosberg (and Perez in particular) seemed content to just sit behind Rosberg rather than challenging him.
    Nice to see DR take the win but it would have been nicer if Vettel, Perez and Massa had managed to get past as well.

Massa just doesn't seem to have that ultimate sharpness that's necessary to be a top F1 driver and his crash was a perfect example of that clumsiness.

Perez had brake trouble but was fast enough on the straight to keep ahead of the Red Bulls until Ricciardo made a great pass, think Perez's brake woes prevented him from getting into DRS range of Rosberg. Would have been better for the race if Perez had pulled over to let those behind through, but he was never going to do that while 2nd place was at stake. Massa was clearly at fault for the accident with Perez. Williams had the car to win the race today as it turned out too, oops
    Forum Member
    While I'm at it, what happened with Button?

On about lap 60 Button was behind Alonso, Massa and Bottas.
    Massa passed Bottas (then went on to catch the 4 leading cars) and Alonso followed him past Bottas a little while later.
    I realised Button was catching Alonso and Bottas but I didn't see anything about how Button, apparently, got past both Bottas and Alonso. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    It's almost poetic that the technology Mercedes drove forward the changes in power, became the issue that lost them a comfortable win and maybe one two.

Think it was Renault who first pushed for the changes
    Forum Member
    Perez had brake trouble but was fast enough on the straight to keep ahead of the Red Bulls until Ricciardo made a great pass, think Perez's brake woes prevented him from getting into DRS range of Rosberg. Would have been better for the race if Perez had pulled over to let those behind through, but he was never going to do that while 2nd place was at stake. Massa was clearly at fault for the accident with Perez. Williams had the car to win the race today as it turned out too, oops

Uhuh.

I kinda figured that Perez had the power to hold off the RBRs on the straights but if I can figure that out from my sofa, you'd think that the other drivers following Perez would have come up with something better than "sit in line and hope for the best".

The way Massa caught up with the leading group showed that his car had incredible pace and he just dropped the ball.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Massa passed Bottas (then went on to catch the 4 leading cars) and Alonso followed him past Bottas a little while later.
    I realised Button was catching Alonso and Bottas but I didn't see anything about how Button, apparently, got past both Bottas and Alonso. :confused:

Thought the camera work today was pretty poor in places. cars were overtaking and they were showing the crowd....:confused:

At least we did not have to go through endless repeat of the start by 20 angles, the crash put pay to that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

JB passed them both on the penultimate lap apparently
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    It's not often that a driver has so much luck in one race. 2 DNFs for Hamilton and none for Rosberg. I hope I'm wrong but that could be championship to Rosberg already. Think how long it took Hamilton to claw back the deficit after he retired in the first race. Only some Rosberg DNFs will stop him being champion now. Reminds me a little of '79 with Gilles much quicker than Scheckter but much worse reliability and luck (ability gap between Lewis and Rosberg much less though).

It'll come down to the last race and 50 points for the winner. Still don't like that idea though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uhuh.

I kinda figured that Perez had the power to hold off the RBRs on the straights but if I can figure that out from my sofa, you'd think that the other drivers following Perez would have come up with something better than "sit in line and hope for the best".

The way Massa caught up with the leading group showed that his car had incredible pace and he just dropped the ball.

Hulk was on a one stopper, Red Bulls slow in a straight line, Ferraris who knows, Bottas stopped too early and thus had old tyres (?), JB too far back after a poor first stint. Ironically once Rosberg somehow picked up the pace the one with the best chance was Massa and he was the one who proved susceptible to 'brain fade'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bottas had issues and was dropping back.

Alonso made a mistake trying to get past Hulkenberg and ran wide to avoid basically doing to him what Massa did to Perez, so Button got past Alonso that way, then just had much better tyres and somehow more speed than Hulkenberg and was through before the next corner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FunkyJawa wrote: »
    It'll come down to the last race and 50 points for the winner. Still don't like that idea though.

I won't mind so much if it takes Hamilton past Rosberg, as long as it only makes up the difference between their points scores from Monaco and a bit of today to make up for that advantage Rosberg got from cutting the corner, which is unlikely. I'll be livid if it makes Rosberg look like he wins the championship by a much bigger margin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamilton is clearly faster, he just needs to keep calm, ignore the mind games and the title will come to him if the mechanical gremlins can be kept at bay. Wonder what Ferrari will do now they couldn't entice Newey to their loving embrace :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite ironic that the weakest link in the Ferrari chain appears to be the engine :confused: