Options

BBC The Three Musketeers NEW Drama (Discussion/News/Speculation) (SPOILERS IN TAGS)

Comments

• Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also surprised at the hostility towards Constance. I find her a totally admirable character, and I love her romance with D'Artagnan. She's had to repress her feelings for a long time, so it's only natural that she wants to express them now she is free to do so. When she thinks she is going to die, she wants her last words to him to be 'I love you.' Most people would do the same. I sincerely hope she will survive. I don't have a problem with this being predictable. A last-minute rescue could be exciting and dramatic. It depends on how it is written, and I trust the writers to make it so. I'm glad that this show seems to go against the current fashion of killing off main characters just for shock value. That also becomes dull and predictable after a while. It's braver to tell a more traditional type of story in which the heroes and heroines survive. I love all the main characters in this and want all of them to live to fight another day. Here's hoping... :)

I don't think anyone hates her - as other posters have said her romance with D'Artaganan is sweet and somewhat naive. I do want them together but its not a grown up romance. Its very disneyesque in the way it is written. The couple lack passion and chemistry but I suspect the writers are catering towards the younger viewers with these two.

Constance has never once come across as though she is actually in love - its more like they have to be in love because they are the main male/female characters - so hearing her screeching 'I love you' in slow mo for dramatic effect is terrible IMO (if inadvertently amusing).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    Isn't she enjoying running rings round him though? The poor man looks completely out of his depth and I'm surprised he was thinking straight enough to swipe the seal:)

I know :D

Its hilarious to watch.
  • Options
    deeannjaydeeannjay Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I don't dislike Constance and I'm certainly not hostile towards her I just find her character a bit of of TV trope. Whenever they need a female to join the mission, , perform a little fight move, be kidnapped (a lot) and be brave and stoic, they use Constance. She's too sweet, too good and that makes me think that she's the favourite, a bit of a Disney heroine. She's always been like that but I preferred her in the last series where she at least had friends (Fleur), interests (her house and her husbands business) outside of The Musketeers.

The Musketeers isn't terribly sophisticated writing but Constance and d'Artgagnan I feel is the bit which is pretty naive and simplistic. Perhaps they are meant to appeal to younger viewers and that's fair enough. Anyway, people like what they like, but I must admit I was hoping the show would get a bit more adult going forward. However, if series three is to be the trials and tribulations of Constagnan the great romance then so be it, I've enjoyed it while it lasted, I'll probably wish them well and give it a pass.

I don't want characters killed at the drop of a hat, although they seem to find minor characters pretty expendable on The Musketeers, it's just that it's got to the stage where I don't feel that there's any peril in some of the situations with the main ones (with the exception perhaps of Milady) so in some ways I think it would be good to kill off a main character, I really do.

Not Aramis preferably, because like with you he's my favourite, but sometimes you need that realism in what is a very violent world, otherwise it's too predictable.

Regarding main characters leaving I think that the producers are more vulnerable to the actors wanting to leave than the other way round. The show has struggled in the ratings and although it has been renewed due to overseas sales there's probably a lot of discussion as to how and when it will actually be shown in the UK going forward. I can't see BBC1 wanting to give it a prime time spot without changes, so who knows what the future holds.

I'd be very surprised if the show went on beyond a third series: I seem to remember reading somewhere that the main cast were signed up for three years. I just hope BBC in the UK don't mess around with it to the same extent as this year, where repeated breaks in transmission mean that the series finale has already been shown (last night) on BBC America, which leaves British viewers having to be very careful in their internet activities so as to avoid spoilers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    deeannjay wrote: »
    I, too, hope all the main characters (with the possible exception of Rochefort) survive to the next series, as I think they all add to the story in their own way. Mind you, knowing Santiago's luck (Isaac in Heroes, Lancelot in Merlin) I do fear a bit for Aramis! And, if that WERE to be the case, that would be me gone for Series 3, as he's the main reason I watch the show.

Oh yes, I wasn't referring to Rochefort in that. He's been a great villain, but I think his storyline is coming to an end. I never watched Heroes, but Lancelot was my favourite character in Merlin. I remember lamenting with you over his demise on another site. Somehow I don't think he will suffer the same fate here.
    towers wrote: »
    I like Constance but she shows very little romantic passion or desire towards d'Artagnan and for people who love sexual tension in their tv romances - hence one of the reasons why Athos & Milady get so many people excited - it's a problem. I can't always 'feel the love' as far as Constance is concerned and I've noticed a number of people semi-joke that Constance is probably "more in love with Queen Anne than d'Artagnan" and I can see why.

I think how people feel about 'Constagnan' is often down to how important sexual tension is to them. I can see that Constance loves d'Artagnan generally but I don't easily get that she's 'in love' with him. Mum thought she had better chemistry with Dr Lemay and so did many other people..

Also, whilst the boys are very much written as having flaws, Constance is written as almost being flawless - which is a danger in itself, ie the Mary Sue character..

I've just got to live with my 'she's OK' feelings about Constance :) and hope d'Artagnan has a big storyline that doesn't involve her next year - though I'm sure they'll be a solid couple by then..

I see what you mean. Their love is portrayed differently, but it provides a contrast to Athos and Milady. Constance did seem to flirt with Lemay, but her feelings for D'Artagnan are serious. I think Constance and D'Artagnan are very compatible in nature. I'd be happy for them to have some separate storylines next year, as long as they are a solid couple.
    I don't dislike Constance and I'm certainly not hostile towards her I just find her character a bit of of TV trope. Whenever they need a female to join the mission, , perform a little fight move, be kidnapped (a lot) and be brave and stoic, they use Constance. She's too sweet, too good and that makes me think that she's the favourite, a bit of a Disney heroine. She's always been like that but I preferred her in the last series where she at least had friends (Fleur), interests (her house and her husbands business) outside of The Musketeers.

The Musketeers isn't terribly sophisticated writing but Constance and d'Artgagnan I feel is the bit which is pretty naive and simplistic. Perhaps they are meant to appeal to younger viewers and that's fair enough. Anyway, people like what they like, but I must admit I was hoping the show would get a bit more adult going forward. However, if series three is to be the trials and tribulations of Constagnan the great romance then so be it, I've enjoyed it while it lasted, I'll probably wish them well and give it a pass.

I don't want characters killed at the drop of a hat, although they seem to find minor characters pretty expendable on The Musketeers, it's just that it's got to the stage where I don't feel that there's any peril in some of the situations with the main ones (with the exception perhaps of Milady) so in some ways I think it would be good to kill off a main character, I really do.

Not Aramis preferably, because like with you he's my favourite, but sometimes you need that realism in what is a very violent world, otherwise it's too predictable.

Regarding main characters leaving I think that the producers are more vulnerable to the actors wanting to leave than the other way round. The show has struggled in the ratings and although it has been renewed due to overseas sales there's probably a lot of discussion as to how and when it will actually be shown in the UK going forward. I can't see BBC1 wanting to give it a prime time spot without changes, so who knows what the future holds.

All the things you mention, I love about Constance. I'm not averse to having a female character who displays these traits. I think the show is a well-written adventure story. It's not perfect, by any means, but it provides great entertainment. The Constance/D'Artagnan relationship is one aspect of that. I am not a young viewer, yet their youthful intensity and determination to do the right thing appeal to me. If by 'more adult', you mean darker, I think the show has gone down that route this year. In my view, there is still room for a character like Constance though.

The ratings are a great disappointment. I think the show deserves a much bigger audience. The move to Friday nights hasn't helped. Nor have the three delays, and the lack of promotion for series 2. It's almost as if the Beeb had lost faith in it before the start of series 2. I can't think why.

S3 is going to be about war with Spain, as far as early indications go, which means Constagnan should be kept apart much of the time and we'll see more of d'Artagnan-the-solider and less of d'Artagnan pining over Constance.

I want more of the boys in S3, the secondary characters have been too prominant this year, especially Constance.

As for actors leaving, it appears the main cast were on a 3 year contract, so even if a fourth series is a posibility - S3 performs better than expected - one or two of the main cast might be tempted to leave by then, although it's always a risk to leave a secure(ish) job in favour of pastures new.. It was rumoured over Xmas that Tom Burke had expressed a desire to leave after S3 during a carol service but it wasn't confirmed.

At the start of this series, I really felt there were not enough scenes with the Musketeers, but since then, I've got used to the change of style. I would still like to see more of them though. However, it is also welcome to have strong women in this, even if it's a boys' own adventure. It's a balancing act for the writers.

I'll be sad if series 3 is the last. It's a quality, enjoyable show.
    Talma wrote: »
    Like Merlin, then..and the whole thing is unnervingly Merlin-like, what with uneven writing and cutting of scenes, especially notable in the Prodigal Father, when we saw nothing of Treville's revelations and Porthos's reaction, and it started after what should have been a big scene after all the build up, and then got swallowed up by the sub plots.
    I don't dislike Constance either, but for example we got quite lengthy scenes between her and her husband and her and Dr Lemay but not (again) Treville and Porthos or other situations where we could have done with more exposition and explanation with the boys themselves, which is why most people watch it, after all. Milady has a part on the ongoing plot but Constance is just the queen's 'best friend and lady in waiting' and used for effect. For example on Friday, it didn't need her and Marguerite to look after the dauphin and she just sat there waiting to be defiant and slung in a cell when she would have been more use on the outside.

I was a huge Merlin fan, but on the whole, I think this is better written and shows more consistency. Yes, I agree with you. Constance remaining in the palace was unnecessary and frustrating, although I understand why they did it.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Last one tonight.

Actually, thanks to the BBCs disastrous scheduling and showing it in the US before the UK >:(, and my fondness for The Musketeers on some social media sites I sort of already know what happens, but I look forward to it all being played out in motion (so to speak).

I'm curious as to where they'll take the show from here, or even when and where it will appear in the UK. I know that they've green-lighted series three but there doesn't seem to be any real commitment to it by BBC1. Are we heading for a Ripper Street series 3 situation (available currently on Amazon Prime-supposed to be coming to the BBC but no word on when-if at all) I wonder? I hope not.

Anyway, I'll be back to see what DS thinks of the final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last one tonight.

Actually, thanks to the BBCs disastrous scheduling and showing it in the US before the UK >:(, and my fondness for The Musketeers on some social media sites I sort of already know what happens, but I look forward to it all being played out in motion (so to speak).

I'm curious as to where they'll take the show from here, or even when and where it will appear in the UK. I know that they've green-lighted series three but there doesn't seem to be any real commitment to it by BBC1. Are we heading for a Ripper Street series 3 situation (available currently on Amazon Prime-supposed to be coming to the BBC but no word on when-if at all) I wonder? I hope not.

Anyway, I'll be back to see what DS thinks of the final.

Well I hope not - however that being said, it was the best thing that ever happened to Ripper Street. Series 1 and series 2 were very, very good but series 3 - there are no words to describe how absolutely fantastic it became. Stunning series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    Well I hope not - however that being said, it was the best thing that ever happened to Ripper Street. Series 1 and series 2 were very, very good but series 3 - there are no words to describe how absolutely fantastic it became. Stunning series.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree. I always liked Ripper Street but I'll admit that I was getting a tiny bit bored with it by the end of series 2. The third series however...wow.. it was magnificent, one of my all time favourite bits of TV.

If they did that and pulled off that sort of improvement, with that cast in The Musketeers, well I'd be in (TV) heaven.

I just didn't like watching it on Prime. Because

a) I don't really like watching things on my computer (I'm old fashioned like that

and mostly

b) Not so many people had seen it and I had none to talk about this great drama with (except in spoiler tags on here).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, that was an enjoyable romp and a fitting finale to an uneven series.

I must admit they had me worried there for a few minutes, letting me think Santiago hadn't signed up for Series 3!
  • Options
    LoracShaktiLoracShakti Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Marc Warren truly knows how to take a death scene and make it his own - that was just so OTT it was brilliant :cool:.

Aramis had better be back for series 3 - it won't be the same without all 4 of the boys!!
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed that, just sad its all ended. And yes, Marc Warrens death scene was amazingly OTT but fabulously done!
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit they had me worried there for a few minutes, letting me think Santiago hadn't signed up for Series 3!
    Aramis had better be back for series 3 - it won't be the same without all 4 of the boys!!

I was worried as well.. although I remember someone on here mentioning that he'd said on Twitter or in an interview that he'd already started to grow that epic tash back again in readiness for S3. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Marc Warren truly knows how to take a death scene and make it his own - that was just so OTT it was brilliant :cool:.

I was beginning to think Rochefort would never take the hint and expire!

Re. Aramis - I took it that Treville was instructing them in the final scene to fetch him from the monastery and get back to the garrison before the unit left for the war, so assume that was confirmation that Aramis is back for Series 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was worried as well.. although I remember someone on here mentioning that he'd said on Twitter or in an interview that he'd already started to grow that epic tash back again in readiness for S3. :D

Filming for Series 3 apparently starts the last week in April and there are usually photos of the cast during filming up on social media , so it will probably become clear pretty soon who is back for the new series. I wonder whether Milady will come back?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic series finale and I was glad that I avoided the spoilers like a plague. Everyone was brilliant tonight and Warren was just great.

I had a dust in my eyes when Aramis was walking away because genuinely thought Santiago hadn't signed up for series three ( which would have been such a shame because I only started watching this series because of him ). But I had the biggest grin on my face at the last scene. I just loved it. :D

Edit: Forgot to mention...those final scenes of Milady waiting and Athos showing up late nearly killed me. I think I adore these two. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Aramis should stay at the monastry, for a while at least. I mean he made a vow to God to do so if Anne was saved. You can't attach conditions to it. 'Oh yeah, we're at war with Spain now God, so...' Surely that would cheapen it, non? Anyway..

Goodbye to Rochefort; I loved your OTT menace, your intensity and ruthlessness. I hated that they made you lack subtlety and were a sexual sadist, but you were a worthy villain. Nice chest too.... and to be fair you were right about Anne and Aramis.

Goodbye to Margeurite...Yay. Sorry but you were nothing but a plot device and not even a necessary one. That superbly sinister priest from episode one could have been a better witness to Aramis' trial, using his' The Cardinal knows all your secrets' notes from Richelieu. Or even a random nosy nun who happened to hear or see something (well the door was open- Athos got an eyeful) on the night in question. Instead we had to endure weeks of mopey Marg who really didn't know anything at all beyond they obviously fancied each other which could be explained away as 'courtly love'. I think that we were meant to get fond of her al la Dr Lemay, but at least he was useful and engaging.

Constance -saved the day...again, swordfighting, shooting and generally being the all round girl musketeer. Alright, yeah I get it-ain't nobody better than Constance. If we are to see women getting involved in the action can I suggest Milady works as a spy for Anne next series? Those two could cause mayhem. At least d'Arty and Connies wedding (even Athos couldn't stay) and the curiously passionless encounter afterwards didn't dominate, so yeah I can put up with that level of Constagnan.

The King is an idiot, not believing his wife, his Musketeers and yet suddenly seeing the light from the testimony of his enemy the Spanish spymaster? And much as I love Ryan Gages portrayal I want him to die next series because if he can't be the humour, and he hasn't done a lot this series, there isn't a lot of point to him.

Loved Porthos, and even if the Spanish did rather helpfully send one man at a time for him to fight in his epic fight scene (I quite like the Spanish too, they are very stylish) he has ceremoniously moved up my Musketeer league table to... well he may even be nudging Athos for number two position. d'Artaganan drops to four for assuming the right to kill Rochefort when it really should have been Aramis' kill and for various other petulant behaviors earlier.

Athos is on dodgy ground because it looks like we're going to have another series moping over Milady. Do it- go with her- or give it up altogether Athos. Either way, fascinating and sexy that she is she'll never be the 'lady' that her name suggests, so decide what you want. Aramis is number one for... reasons and can do no wrong. Except not enough shirtless scenes this series- what was that about 'sexier' the producers promised? We barely got a a few kisses..

Love Milady, not least because she rescued Aramis (rather too easily, he was insufficiently guarded for the most treacherous man in the Kingdom IMO but still..) but I much as I feel for her I cannot see how she can be fully redeemed to live a happy blameless life, she's done too much. It's a conundrum..

And Anne is magnificent, I adore her, and actually played by a terrific actress too. I feared that the Royals wouldn't be in series 3, but I'm more confident now.

So goodbye Musketeers for another series and I hope that you get better promotion and less messing around with the schedules next time.

Edited to add Milady and Anne
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good final overall and I look forward to S3 with anticipation..

Things I liked -

Marc Warren has been great this year, I even felt a tiny bit sorry for him when he met his end
    Porthos having more to do in this final than the last final
    Good on Milady for helping to free Aramis - she remains my favourite female character - but oh dear ( see things I didn't like )
    Athos becoming Captain
    Hopefully the end of Aramis and Anne, at least on any serious level, Aramis needs to go back to his S1 self
    Queen Anne being a stronger character this year
    The outbreak of war, it could be an interesting direction to take the next series
    Louis coming to his senses and insisting that Treville take his place at his side

Things I didn't like -

I hope the writers aren't going to turn Milady bad again because Athos wasn't able to get to her in time
    I hope Athos isn't going to spend a third series moping over her
    D'Artagnan's lack of relevant screentime this year, apart from in episodes 1,2 and 6 - highly unusual in The Three Musketeers stories.
    Killing poor old Margerite
    Constance looked quite sexy when she put that sword to that guys throat but beyond that, she's still an annoying Mary Sue who has little sexual chemistry with d'Artagnan ( and now they're married, he's stuck with her, sadly ) But at least that ship should go in new directions next year.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I apologise if this has been mentioned before, as I've not read the thread.

But why was is it that you never saw The King of France and Laurence Llewelyn Bowen at the same time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A good final overall and I look forward to S3 with anticipation..

Things I liked -

Marc Warren has been great this year, I even felt a tiny bit sorry for him when he met his end
    Porthos having more to do in this final than the last final
    Good on Milady for helping to free Aramis - she remains my favourite female character - but oh dear ( see things I didn't like )
    Athos becoming Captain
    Hopefully the end of Aramis and Anne, at least on any serious level
    Queen Anne being a stronger character this year
    The outbreak of war, it could be an interesting direction to take the next series
    Louis coming to his senses and insisting that Treville take his place at his side

Things I didn't like -

I hope the writers aren't going to turn Milady bad again because Athos wasn't able to get to her in time
    I hope Athos isn't going to spend a third series moping over Milady
    D'Artagnan's lack of relevant screentime this year, apart from in episodes 1,2 and 6 - highly unusual in The Three Musketeers stories.
    Killing poor old Margerite
    Constance looked quite sexy when she put that sword to that guys throat but beyond that, she's still an annoying Mary Sue who has little sexual chemistry with d'Artagnan ( and now they're married, he's stuck with her, sadly ) But at least that ship should go in new directions next year.

Oh Towers, you do make me laugh ;-):D

I agree with you on some things (see above) and disagree on others.

I actually like the Aramis and Anne story, and even if I don't like the way they played it out this series. it's part of The Musketeers folklore that one is in love with Anne (usually d'Artagnan) .Anyway, yeah it's an impossible love, it will never end happily ever after, but so are some of the best love stories and I think they're great together.

But even if we don't agree on everything I admire your love of the show and your dedication to dear d'Artagnan, (someone I really like in it but I'd love if he wasn't attached to Constance).
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good end to an up-and-down season for me. I'm indifferent about D'Artagnan and Constance but I've enjoyed the Aramis/Anne storyline and I've liked how much more Milady has worked between the two opposing sides throughout. Could she and Athos ever have a happy ending?

Anyhow, roll on season three. I'll be very surprised if that isn't the final season - for narrative rather than ratings reasons.

If anyone's interested, here's my final episode review of the season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I've really enjoyed this series, and I think this was a fitting finale. It was very exciting, with dramatic twists and turns. I'm delighted that Constance and D'Artagnan are married at last. Their wedding was beautiful, but the bedroom scene which followed was a little disappointing. I'd hoped for something...different. ;-) I'm glad that the shooting and swordfighting lessons Constance had last series were finally put to good use. I was afraid they had just forgotten them. It was great to see her strength of character. I loved to see her fighting alongside the men (however unrealistic it is), in the same way that I enjoyed Milady acting like a Musketeer in episode 6. Milady's contribution in this episode was pivotal "It's not an escape, it's a rescue..." :D I really wanted to see Athos get to her in time, but I guess it's more poignant this way, and leaves it even more intriguing for series 3. The Queen was also marvellous in the way she stood up to Rochefort. Marc Warren made him a great villain, sinister and chilling. He'll be a hard act to follow.

For me, this is one of the most satisfying shows for years - an enjoyable romp that provides great entertainment, while still tackling serious issues. The cast is wonderful. They're all perfect for their roles. I'm very much looking forward to series 3 and hope it won't be the last.
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Re. Aramis - I took it that Treville was instructing them in the final scene to fetch him from the monastery and get back to the garrison before the unit left for the war, so assume that was confirmation that Aramis is back for Series 3.

I kept expecting him to make like The Black Knight in Monty Python and The Holy Grail...

"It's just a flesh wound"
    " 'Tis but a scratch!"
    "Come back here and take what's coming to you! I'll bite your legs off!"
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As soon as Aramis stuck the knife in him, I started thinking of Alan Rickman's death scene in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was one magnificent cardigan the King was wearing.

Even though it makes her a bit of a Mary Sue - I finally liked Constance this episode. Firstly - she looked bloody amazing in that blue shirt and brown dress combo, with her hair looking much more natural. And she finally did something useful, held her own and was calm in a dangerous situation without suddenly turning into an amazing (unrealistic) fighter.

Athos and Milday :( They have no future but I totally wanted him to get to her anyway.
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At Aramis's'trial', why didn't he tried, about Marguerite, 'you see, she was in love with me and i rejected her, so she's lying for revenge'.

At one point, i thought 'Porthos is taking the Spanish army by himself'!

The scene where Louis signs the death warrant was so cliché but probably it did happen like that at some point in history, and it became cliché.

A Rasputin inspired death for Rochefort!

Nice dramatic climax and then, war!

I always had doubts that Milady was just manipulating Athos and was not really still in love with him; after that ending, it got to me and i believe her.

Very good season.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maimie McCoy - Milady - let slip at the Apple Store promotion that the cast were on 3 year contracts, so on the off-chance that we get S4, any one of the main cast could bow out of the show after S3..