Options

Fibre Help Needed!!!

sahisahi Posts: 185
Forum Member
I really need someone's help! I got our router from sky today for our new fibre. I only just got round to setting it up & am connected but somehow our speed is even lower than before! Did we need bt to install something in our house to enable fibre?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most common fibre broadband is fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). In this case the fibre optic cable is run to a roadside cabinet close to the one to which your phone line is connected. When you sign up to fibre broadband your phone line is routed via this fibre cabinet to pick up the broadband signal.

It then enters your home over your existing phone line. It used to be the case that Openreach (the division of BT that maintains the phone network) had to swap out the master socket for a special filtered type with a separate socket for the modem/router. But it is possible these days that you get a "self install" option which basically means a couple of plug in filters much like ADSL broadband.

If you have a self install version you will have received the filters with your router and it is unlikely you'll see anyone from Sky or Openreach. What might not have happened yet is the connection to the fibre cabinet and the switching over from ADSL to fibre broadband.

The router may be able to work on ADSL signals which is why you are getting some sort of service.

The other thing to ensure is that if you have any extension phones etc that they are all connected via filters. The Openreach installed filtered master socket made this unnecessary but self installs with plug in filters still need filters on any extension device.

Might be worth checking if your fibre connection has been made.