Options

Openreach says my cabinet is "under review" - is this bad news?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Adam NortonAdam Norton Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think the exchange is switched on for FTTC yet but may be very soon as October 2015 is the date for most of the cabinets in the area, some not until January 2016.

But by the looks of things BT will be doing something in the area in the next coming months due to the paint markings and I've seen them everywhere where the new cabinets are so it would seem FTTC will be enabled very soon.

I'm currently with TalkTalk and for the past few weeks have had a dreadful service of disconnections and I'm most likely to switch to BT for Fibre due to the fact I'm interested in BT Sports but at the moment it's not cost effective for me to use BT Sports and BT only currently support ADSL Max at my exchange, whereas with TalkTalk I have a 24Mbps connection, when it works lol.
  • Options
    lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think the exchange is switched on for FTTC yet but may be very soon as October 2015 is the date for most of the cabinets in the area, some not until January 2016.

But by the looks of things BT will be doing something in the area in the next coming months due to the paint markings and I've seen them everywhere where the new cabinets are so it would seem FTTC will be enabled very soon.

I'm currently with TalkTalk and for the past few weeks have had a dreadful service of disconnections and I'm most likely to switch to BT for Fibre due to the fact I'm interested in BT Sports but at the moment it's not cost effective for me to use BT Sports and BT only currently support ADSL Max at my exchange, whereas with TalkTalk I have a 24Mbps connection, when it works lol.

The following link will show road works in your area.
    https://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Transport/highways_and_streets/Pages/Viewing-road-works-FAQs.aspx

I was able to isolate BT work on East Street due 20/10 - 26/10 to "Desilt duct and boxes to complete BDUK Cabling works" Not sure if it shows pavement only works.

Brian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been looking at roadworks.org.. East street is further away from me, but yeh there is loads of duct spray paint near my cabinet, the one I pass every say during the school run and a cabinet about 100 yards from the Exchange.

The one's near the exchange, is one big one and one small one, the small ones are the others I've mention with vents at the bottom. The cabinet I am on, they took the routed the power across the road, however they did it a week after the road had been resurfaced, but there is black tarmac where BT have been and the road is grey lol so its very noticeable, shame BT couldn't get it down when the council resurfaced the road.

I just can't wait for Fibre, as I should get the 80Mbps, and I think our exchange is offering FTTC / FTTP as there is a lot of houses next to farm fields so I will be assuming the houses that stand on their own with green fields between them will get FTTP sadly

There is a new housing estage about 3 miles from me where a friend has recently moved into and he has a 300Mbps connect, ha can't wait for fibre so I said TalkTalk has been awful lately, my line has already been reduced to 6dB, as 12dB is a lot slower for some reason, I've been switching between FastPath and Interleaved, but FastPath isn't great for uploading of course as when it can't send the information it resets.

I'll just have to pay attention, but thanks for the replies, I mean the friend I talked about has his own Computer shop and one of his customers was with BT or Openreach, he asked about Banwell for me back in February and he was told it would go live in March 2015 for the E4 cabinet that serves the top end of my road, as that was the original date from when I found out about it, but was dissapointed that E5 didn't have a date at all but the dates for most cabinets as have been checking post codes in the village, and most of cabinet state they will be going live in October, most likely the 31st and the rest in January.

I mean, the village next to Banwell, Wincombe went live earlier that Banwell as I think they were meant to go live at the same time, and with the new housing devolopments at the other side of the village, it seams my village which is in between will be the last one in the area ha, I'm just getting impatient lol
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just can't wait for Fibre, as I should get the 80Mbps, and I think our exchange is offering FTTC / FTTP as there is a lot of houses next to farm fields so I will be assuming the houses that stand on their own with green fields between them will get FTTP sadly

That's how it works in Cornwall.

Live in a built up area? You'll probably get FTTC unless you win the lottery and get FTTP instead (I've seen a couple of poles get FTTP in a sea of FTTC - and in my own village, they put in FTTP in a couple of streets and FTTC in the rest). My own street is not terribly suitable for FTTC as it is very long (a mile+ maybe) and the cabinet is at one end. The people at the other are not likely getting great speeds. But that's what BT put in - even to the brand new houses that were built afterward

Are you a farmer or someone who lives miles from the nearest neighbour? No problem, we'll spare no expense to bring you the superior technology - and who cares if we'll never make any money from it. Thank your fellow taxpayer who got FTTC and helped pay for it. Unless you lost the lottery, in which case you'll be deemed "not economically viable" and told to look at alternative means

It's totally ridiculous and it's why I laugh at the people who defend BT when it comes to their decision to use a cheap, dead end technology in FTTC. Or the people who defend BT when it spends billions on sports and buying EE but somehow can't find the cash to invest in its broadband network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean, the village next to Banwell, Wincombe went live earlier that Banwell as I think they were meant to go live at the same time, and with the new housing devolopments at the other side of the village, it seams my village which is in between will be the last one in the area ha, I'm just getting impatient lol

OpenReach often find problems only after they start work on FTTC. Finding a power source for the cabinets or getting way leave permissions for cables are a couple of examples.

However, the road works indicated for Easy Street indicate one major problem they encounter. Only when they look to lay cable do they find ducts silted up - perhaps the first time they've been looked at in many many years. To clear ducts often requires road closures or one way traffic. This has to be planned and permission obtained which takes time - hence time tables can often go back (and back, and back !!!)

Brian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to update. Most of the cabinets now have a sticker on them 'Superfast Broadband is here' but obviously they aren't accepting orders yet.

I'm wondering though, if I place an order for BT now, obviously I think I will get up to 24Mbps however I'm not sure. I left BT as they only did ADSL Max and could only get 7-8Mbps.

That's why I moved to TalkTalk for the faster connection, about 5 years ago. I understand that as my line was unbundled from BT to TalkTalk. I would need to place a new order with BT to install a new line, is this correct?

Basically, I had the idea of moving to BT when fibre was enabled in my exchange / area etc. But now when I input my address into BT's website, they state I can get up 18Mbps, does this mean BT now offer ASDL2 this at my exchange. Any searches I've done for my exchange etc.

Samknows - https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SSBAN

BT's Broadband Checker Results
    BS29 6BB on Exchange BANWELL is served by Cabinet E5

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
    ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
    Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
    Other Offerings
    Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.
    Note: The DP is external to the end user premises.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.

I'm trying to find out if BT offer the same ADSL2 service as TalkTalk at my exchange, if they do I could possibly place an order with BT now for ASDL2, and upgrade to fibre when the time comes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ADSL2 from BT shouldn't really differ from TalkTalk - you'll get approximately the same speed from either company. They do use different exchange equipment so there's a possibility that you'll get a small drop or increase in speed, but nothing worrying.

(for fibre it's the same cabinet so no difference there)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Returning to my old thread because in the past week there has been a flurry of activity with the road being dug up and there is now a large, new cabinet on the pavement. Hopefully this means fibre is on its way.

What puzzles me, and I'd be grateful if someone could explain it, is that the new cabinet is not close to the existing BT cabinet. It's about 100 metres away (guesstimate). Currently the landline is connected to a telegraph pole, which is AFAIK fed by an underground cable from the existing cabinet. Does that mean all the landlines in this part of the street will have to be rerouted via the new cabinet so we can get fibre broadband?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Returning to my old thread because in the past week there has been a flurry of activity with the road being dug up and there is now a large, new cabinet on the pavement. Hopefully this means fibre is on its way.

What puzzles me, and I'd be grateful if someone could explain it, is that the new cabinet is not close to the existing BT cabinet. It's about 100 metres away (guesstimate). Currently the landline is connected to a telegraph pole, which is AFAIK fed by an underground cable from the existing cabinet. Does that mean all the landlines in this part of the street will have to be rerouted via the new cabinet so we can get fibre broadband?

I've seen some interesting cabinet placements. Near me is a cabinet in someone's front garden, even though its existing copper twin is on the pavement. I wonder what deal BT has with the home owner, and why it couldn't have gone on the pavement too

I used to live in a place in Reading where the copper cabinet was on one side of a busy, wide A road to its fibre twin (and was not actually in service for the entire time I lived there, your choices were ADSL or Virgin)

I understand that your phone line's routing is only changed once you order the service - they route it through the fibre cabinet as part of providing the fibre service.

Is the new cabinet a "fibre" one? (it will have lots of vents)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A FTTC cabinet only has to be within about 100 metres of the original cab that it Is "paired" with. Your phone line remains as it is - fed from the exchange via the existing cab and then to your premises.

The internet signal is delivered to the FTTC cab via fibre. When you order a service a connection is "jumped" between the two cabinets. This means it is the distance from the FTTC cab to your premises that counts rather than the distance from the exchange.

Brian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lonewaller wrote: »
    A FTTC cabinet only has to be within about 100 metres of the original cab that it Is "paired" with. Your phone line remains as it is - fed from the exchange via the existing cab and then to your premises.

The internet signal is delivered to the FTTC cab via fibre. When you order a service a connection is "jumped" between the two cabinets. This means it is the distance from the FTTC cab to your premises that counts rather than the distance from the exchange.

Brian

Thanks. Still waiting for the digging and drilling to stop, then I guess they'll have to sort out the wiring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Still waiting for the digging and drilling to stop, then I guess they'll have to sort out the wiring.

From a previous post you're on Cabinet 13 - found this on another website
    FTTC being Built, live due by June 2016 Phase LEP 15a

If you're interested in technical details of FTTC have a look at
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc.htm

Brian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lonewaller wrote: »
    From a previous post you're on Cabinet 13 - found this on another website
    FTTC being Built, live due by June 2016 Phase LEP 15a