Options

Wretched adverts on epg of the Panasonic DMR-BW780

Does anyone know how to disable the wretched adverts on the epg of the Panasonic DMR-BW780 on the left hand side of the screen?

Many thanks Pete

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid you can't turn them off, it's part of the GuidePlus EPG that Panasonic seem to think is a good idea. The adverts are carried in the Freeview data stream unfortunately.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing isn't it? You pay all that money and then get adverts.:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    its outrageous, i shall contact panasonic next week, what a bloody liberty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    almost as bad as the number of ads on this site, whats happened to it, it used to be so good?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    almost as bad as the number of ads on this site, whats happened to it, it used to be so good?
    What ads? I think you need to consider your browser.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    What ads? I think you need to consider your browser.

Yep, doesn't matter about the browser though, just go to:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Which stops them on anything.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow!, I think if I had just paid £200 I would be quite upset at this but imagine having paid, what, £600?

Ad-funded services that are not optional will always be resented. I suppose if Panasonic did explain VERY CLEARLY what the EPG is all about then buyers would have no defence but I imagine they kept it hidden in their marketing spiel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    its bloody disgraceful, do other manufacturers that carry the freeview plus epg get this as well
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest I just downloaded the full user guide for this model and I see no sign of adverts displayed on the pages detailing the EPG usage.

Just a space where the advert would be with "Diga" within it.

Is there any Panasonic promotional material anywhere that details this ad-funded EPG I wonder? I somehow doubt it...

While many services exist that use advertising to part-fund the associated costs it is very important that people are made aware of this before handing over a substantial sum of money so they can consider the impact on their enjoyment and make an appropriate decision.

The free-market requires people to be fully informed before making a purchase for it to work in peoples interest after all.

Imagine a full-board holiday where you are required to view an advertisment on a TV screen before entering the restaurant area? Such a ploy would infuriate people who had not been made aware of it before booking.

Considering the price paid for this Panasonic gadget I would be writing to Panasonic head office and pointing out how important it is to notify potential customers of ad-funded services on products that cost a tonne of money, before they hand over the money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    its bloody disgraceful, do other manufacturers that carry the freeview plus epg get this as well

You don't get adverts on the Freeview EPG, it's ONLY on the GuidePlus EPG - as far as I'm aware all other manufacturers that offer the GuidePlus EPG also provide the proper Freeview EPG as well, so you can choose which to use.

Unfortunately Panasonic seem to only provide the GuidePlus one, presumably because GuidePlus pay them to do so?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    as ive only just ourchased this model it can be returned, does anyone know of any other make that has all the same facilities as this?
  • Options
    AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as ive only just ourchased this model it can be returned, does anyone know of any other make that has all the same facilities as this?

You have no statutory right to return the set as it isn't faulty and it is fit for purpose.

So it depends who you bought it from and what their returns policy is.

Argos, for example, offer a money back guarantee (21 days?) which allows you to return products. DSG always used to as well, providing the item is 'as new' with packaging etc.

If you don't have the packaging etc, then it will be down to the retailer's discretion, but they have no legal obligation to offer you an exchange in these particular circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no you are wrong there, anyway i have a 30 day refund period so lets forget that thread and answer "what other machine will do all that this will and do all freeview extra epg's carry these ads, if they do no problem as aprt from that the machine is eacellent and extremely cheap at £500
  • Options
    dohboydohboy Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Yeah my Panasonic TV also has adverts taking up the left hand side of the freeview epg, in the space where they could/should be showing a mini tv picture like most other epg's I've seen.

It's one of the reasons I never use it.

My next TV won't be Panasonic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no you are wrong there, anyway i have a 30 day refund period so lets forget that thread and answer "what other machine will do all that this will and do all freeview extra epg's carry these ads, if they do no problem as aprt from that the machine is eacellent and extremely cheap at £500

Sorry, but actually you're wrong. You DON'T have a statutory right to an exchange unless an item is faulty (the SGA won't apply just because you dislike the EPG).

In this case, it isn't faulty, however the retailer may offer you anexchange, which is in addition to your statutory rights and may have conditions attached such as return in original packagaing etc.

In terms of alternatives, unless Sony or Samsung have something which matches your requirements, you'll not be getting a set of equivalent quality in terms of picture or sound.
    (Though I don't think either Sony or Samsung offer sound quality on par with Panasonic's sets).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you are confused, we are not talking about tvs here but blue ray recorders....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whaaaaat? I'm glad I read this thread. What an unbelievable liberty. I'd have no patience for anyone telling me I couldn't return such an item. No chance of that.

If Panny start seeing a drop-off in sales, and rise in equipment returns, they'll think twice about such a crap arrangement. As they didn't make this issue clear at purchase, I'd take it all the way to court rather than accept it.

I suspect that there is a connection between this and the initial bargain purchase price. I'd rather pay the extra for a model without 'hard-coded' ads.

There seems to be a media philosophy that the public must by all means be forced to watch ads, as otherwise we might refuse to buy products. Thank Christ for PVRs, Adblock, hostfiles etc etc. I don't feel bad - I never, ever pay attention to ads, so actually I'm helping producers. I buy products without even the cost of advertising them to me!
  • Options
    John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so lets forget that thread and answer "what other machine will do all that this will

None, I believe the Panasonic is the only one of its type on the market.
  • Options
    tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been going on for a very long time - for instance my rant here and the reg's later review and note of similar here. The most ridiculous thing is the amount of space it takes up on the freeview harddrive/DVD recorders. There's a tiny amount of space left for the actual EPG.

I *still* love Panasonic TVs and need and want to buy a new one, but absolutely will not buy until they stop putting the adverts in.

Maybe some of us should go into Panasonic shops and appear massively interested in a new TV or DVD recorder, until we happen across the adverts in the EPG - and suddenly be not interested any more. That said, I've read they have a shop mode that hides the ads - not sure if that's true, but if it is, it's exceptionally cheeky.

Spread the word - hit Panasonic in the sales figures and make them change their mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alano is wrong but thats besides the point, its a nice machine, and replaces a couple of 8 year old dvd recorders, the humax ones which we have also got, have a far nicer display of the epg. panansonic putting black lettering on a grey background is a BAD idea! however the real features of the unit work very well thus far playing into a Sony HD CRT monitor costing 30k +, roll on the demise of the dreadful curent lcd tvs and lets hope that Sony start the release of their OLED domestic tv's in the next couple of years, their 26" OLED production monitor certainly looks very good and makes lcds and plasmas look dreadful, hey ho, its only tele!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hi tin, its easy to get into the engineering menu so ill see where it can be switched off there, and then put pressure on panasonic to get a new software update where it will make it optional for normal viewers
  • Options
    tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice to know how! - I asked panasonic to consider their position and:-

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the uncharacteristic delay in our response. Due to unexpected technical difficulties, we have been unable to provide as speedy a response as we would normally.

In response, I would explain that as a result of standardisation of EPG systems used on Panasonic Visual products, new UK products since Nov 2007 have been shipped with the new EPG platform.

Our R&D groups for the specific product areas defined the use of the "Gemstar" software platform for the Panasonic EPG system. This standard has, as you have indicated, an advertisement area within the navigation menu. Regrettably, this advertisement area cannot be disabled or suppressed on the software version used on the Panasonic products. We have, however, recorded your comments about this facility and will be forwarding this to our R&D group for their information.

Helpful....
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a disgraceful situation.

Another reason to avoid a tv that does not have an option to show just the standard freeview EPG (with no adverts) is what happens if the guide plus EPG is discontinued at some time in the future?

A lot of people now have useless PVR's because the 4TV EPG they relied upon was discontinued only a few months ago.

I would certainly avoid any tv or freeview box that does not have the ability to show the standard freeview EPG
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    What a disgraceful situation.

Another reason to avoid a tv that does not have an option to show just the standard freeview EPG (with no adverts) is what happens if the guide plus EPG is discontinued at some time in the future?

A lot of people now have useless PVR's because the 4TV EPG they relied upon was discontinued only a few months ago.

The analogue GuidePlus service was also discontinued at the end of last year, rendering many recorders useless.

It's pretty crappy not providing the proper Freeview EPG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alano is wrong but thats besides the point, its a nice machine, and replaces a couple of 8 year old dvd recorders, the humax ones which we have also got, have a far nicer display of the epg. panansonic putting black lettering on a grey background is a BAD idea! however the real features of the unit work very well thus far playing into a Sony HD CRT monitor costing 30k +, roll on the demise of the dreadful curent lcd tvs and lets hope that Sony start the release of their OLED domestic tv's in the next couple of years, their 26" OLED production monitor certainly looks very good and makes lcds and plasmas look dreadful, hey ho, its only tele!

Whilst I hadn't registered that it was a Blu Ray recorder (apols about that, had misread and assumed it was a TV) the fact still remains that unless an item is faulty, you have NO statutory right to return an item for an exchange.

If any retailer offers to exchange a non-faulty item, then they are doing it as a discretionary policy - they legally do not have to offer an exchange.

This is true of any item you buy be it a book, clothes, DVD, or electrical goods.

As the item itself isn't faulty, then any exchange is at the retailer's discretion and may be subject to any reasonable conditions the retailer chooses to impose (e.g. must have original packaging, charge a re-stocking fee etc).

There is a common misconception that you can take back something you don't like and the retailer has to change it - which is not the case.

This is a point which I and others (e.g. Nigel Goodwin, Niall Campbell etc) have tried to make to many other posters.

Scumble - you need to go away and read the SSGA - whether you'd be prepared to accept a retailer telling you they wouldn't offer an exchange is irrelevant, under current law they have NO obligation to offer you one just because you find a feature you dislike on an item. It's a simple case of "caveat emptour ".