Options

Do You Regret Getting rid of Your Old CRT TV?

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    I'm guessing the 405-line era?

Yes, but the exact same principle applies to 625, or even HD.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Not at all. Most of the programmes I watch are in HD, the few I watch in SD are for the most part acceptable. On my 32 inch LCD the SD pictures are quite good. The sound on both my LCDs is good. I'm so used to watching on LCD now when I watch CRTs it seems really odd and I don't like the pictures they give.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm so used to watching on LCD now when I watch CRTs it seems really odd and I don't like the pictures they give.

That's probably quite common - it's not so much that the picture is any worse on an LCD or Plasma, more that it's 'different' - depending on the source of course.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no. Although not perfect in every way, I do prefer the LCD over CRT overall.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    mattyl149 wrote: »
    I'm wall mounting by 50" 3D plasma this week and getting my Sony Trinitron 21" CRT back off my sister, so I can use it for my NES/SNES as these look awful on a 50" HD screen

I just wouldn't use a snes on a plasma because of burn in issues.

Sd looks fine on plasma, any hideousness is simply a matter of revealing how little detail there is in that low quality analog source image through low quality analog inputs. You are blowing up that picture you used to watch on a tiny screen to a huge picture...it looks as it should.

If you want better looking snes/nes games use a pc emulator. Run maximum filters and you will see a damned crisp image.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hqx
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070717064839/http://www.hiend3d.com/hq4x.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    I just wouldn't use a snes on a plasma because of burn in issues.

Screen burn issues are really only a problem during the early life of as PDP - once it's over the initial 'burn in' phase it's not much of a concern. Mine's sat many hours on fairly fixed Xbox screens, and never a sign of screen burn.
  • Options
    frailfuryfrailfury Posts: 7,222
    Forum Member
    mattyl149 wrote: »
    I'm wall mounting by 50" 3D plasma this week and getting my Sony Trinitron 21" CRT back off my sister, so I can use it for my NES/SNES as these look awful on a 50" HD screen

If you plug a laptop/pc into a plasma/lcd and play a SNES emulator, it actually looks sharper than having the old console plugged in.
  • Options
    PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, only had space for 21" in bedroom and now with wall mounting have a 40". Picture on sd is good and hd is even better.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    We still have a 14" portable CRT in a box somewhere and it hasn't been used for a long time. I much prefer the LCD to the CRT TV as news channel tickers and stuff are easier to see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Screen burn issues are really only a problem during the early life of as PDP - once it's over the initial 'burn in' phase it's not much of a concern. Mine's sat many hours on fairly fixed Xbox screens, and never a sign of screen burn.

Agreed.

Mine's sat for hours on PS3 screens, and also been used for watching the news channels with their static logos for hours on end, and no screen burn.

You of course, sometimes get image retention when you switch channels but it disappears after a few seconds on another channel.
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went from a 32¨ CRT to a HD Ready 32¨ LCD. I regretted the loss of decent black levels immediately.

Kept the LCD for about a year, then went to a 42¨ Full HD Plasma - all regrets most certainly gone! Sure, the black levels are still not as good as a CRT, but the Plasma is so much better than any regular LCD I've seen and the overall quality of the picture is streets ahead of the low resolution, poor geometry & flickering CRTs of old.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    My aging CRT is still here but it needed replacing because sometimes it can take minutes to turn on / switch channels and it's just uneconomical to repair.

The LCD is not nearly as poor with SD content actually than some of the gloomy reports I'd read, though not on a par with the (admittedly 10cm smaller) CRT. Some sport can be almost unwatchable. However, I find in practice I tend to gravitate naturally to HD much of the time. Furthermore, as my LCD doubles as a computer monitor, when I do watch SD I'm perfectly content watching mostly either via PIP in a 640 x 360 window or in actual size from a recording.

So, although I didn't plan on making the switch when I did, I feel like it's definitely a step forward.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Was up at a friend of ours yesterday and I noticed they still had a really old (early 90s I think) CRT TV in their living room and what looked like an old black and white portable TV with the aerial on it. They had loads of old tech - 90s computers running Windows 98, dial-up internet, an old turntable and a hifi with a cassette player. Fascinating :D
  • Options
    mlayzellmlayzell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Was up at a friend of ours yesterday and I noticed they still had a really old (early 90s I think) CRT TV in their living room and what looked like an old black and white portable TV with the aerial on it. They had loads of old tech - 90s computers running Windows 98, dial-up internet, an old turntable and a hifi with a cassette player. Fascinating :D

Sorry I know this is a friend but they sound a bit tight in the money department to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mlayzell wrote: »
    Sorry I know this is a friend but they sound a bit tight in the money department to me!

If it ain't broke, why fix it? :p
  • Options
    jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I would say fascinating too, I still got a old hifi with a cassette and turntable bought by my mum back in 1983, cannot find the speakers for it, but it still lights up and works, and an old B&W tv from the 1970's, My current PC runs on Windows XP, but I still have 2 PC towers, currently spare, 1 running Windows ME and 1 running Windows 98, I find that old technology is better than new technology in some cases.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it ain't broke, why fix it? :p

We replaced our CRT precisely because it broke! :D

Do I miss it? No, not at all. In the same place we had a 28" CRT we've got a 32" LCD and, because our digital signal is much better then the ropey old analogue signal ever was, we have no complaints at all.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used our CRT TV until it died and we had to get a plasma.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Still perfectly happy with both my CRTs. A 36" Panasonic and a 28" Sony. I put the sound digitally through my hi fi for music and motor sports programmes. But then my priorities are probably different to most peoples. (I spent 10x as much on the hi fi as i did on the tvs)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gave my old 28" Sony to Grandparents who have the room for it, replaced it with a 32" Sony Lcd (about the same height/width but significantly less deep and much lighter!).

Picture on CRT SD was fabulous, sorry to get rid of it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    No regrets....replaced my Panasonic crt with a 42" Panasonic HD plasma 2 yrs ago...My only issue is the flickering ball when watching football...The plasma has 200hz refresh rate....Just bought a 5.1 surround sound(Denon1912 amp/Q Acoustic speakers)...which has totally transformed the whole viewing experience.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not remotely interested in HD, and in fact I don't think I watch an awful lot that's broadcast in HD anyway.

Although they don't look as poor as they used to in shops, I am still not convinced that I would see any improvement in SD pictures from my CRT set, which I will have had ten years next month. I hope it might last a few years yet - oh, and I have another upstairs waiting to take its place which I picked up free last year.

No beard, no sandals, no real ale and no shortage of money. Just quite happy with what I've got.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

No beard, no sandals, no real ale and no shortage of money. Just quite happy with what I've got.

:eek: Good grief how do you get through life?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just bought a 5.1 surround sound(Denon1912 amp/Q Acoustic speakers)...which has totally transformed the whole viewing experience.

Wouldn't that be 'listening' experience? ;)
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    My CRT Sony TV was 8 years old, last year, and still had a great picture but I succumbed to the lure of having something new.

I went for a very high quality Sony 32'' and I'm very pleased with both the SD and HD picture. The TV is bigger than my old screen but takes up a lot less space and looks better in my living room. I was going to go for a 37'' but am pleased I didn't - the 32'' looks good and fits well on my existing TV stand with no 'overhang' - I don't like the current style TV stands which would look out of place in my cosy, vintage style living room.

I would have liked to have kept the CRT and put it in an upstairs bedroom but it took 2 grown men to lift it out into the van :eek: It would have taken up too much space - but it was a great TV and I never had any problems with it apart from its bulk.