James Corden wins Best actor TONY award??!!

dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
Forum Member
:eek: WTF :confused:

Plus he beat (are you ready?)

Phillip Seymour Hoffman
John Lithgow
Frank Langella
James Earl Jones

World gone mad.

Don't care what anybody says NO WAY he will ever act for one freakin' second better then those 4 greats.

He must know where some bodies are buried or something.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the play in London and he was brilliant.
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen the play, but I thought it was widely accepted that he was brilliant in it.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the bloke so well done to him. Fully deserved and why shouldn't he win if he was indeed brilliant in the role which many, many people think he was. Just hope he doesn't let it all go to his head.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    In his acceptance speech he says about his partner

"She makes me say 'us' instead of 'I' and 'we' instead of 'me', and I love her. Thank you very much."

His comments reminded me of the lyrics to Ben

"I used to say "I and me"
    Now it's us now it's we
    (I used to say "I is me")
    (now it's us now it's we)

:D

Congratulations and well done to him on his award.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I like the bloke so well done to him. Fully deserved and why shouldn't he win if he was indeed brilliant in the role which many, many people think he was. Just hope he doesn't let it all go to his head.

Me too. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Good for him
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really cannot stand James Corden. I detest him.

But he is a great stage actor. I'm sorry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although he is definitely not a better actor than Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I saw the play in London and he was brilliant.

Sadly me and Mr AK couldn't got the night we had tickets for due to family stuff, but every review I've seen and the people I know that have seen it have all said he was brilliant - so well done Mr Corden :)
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :eek: WTF :confused:

Plus he beat (are you ready?)

Phillip Seymour Hoffman
    John Lithgow
    Frank Langella
    James Earl Jones

World gone mad.

Don't care what anybody says NO WAY he will ever act for one freakin' second better then those 4 greats.

He must know where some bodies are buried or something.
    According to the Tony judges, he just did!:eek:

Good for him.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    Although he is definitely not a better actor than Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
    But this award is not based on a weighted average for their entire body of work is it?

It's comparing James Corden in One Man, Two Guvnors against Philip Seymour Hoffman in Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman (and the the other three nominees).

Have you seen both plays on multiple nights to be in a position to judge their respective merits? I suspect not. Your view of Corden in Lesbian Vampire Killers and Hoffman in Capote doesn't count. :D

It's like claiming that Chelsea is not a better team than Bayern Munich despite beating them in the Champions League Final, overall they might not be but on the night they were.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    But this award is not based on a weighted average for their entire body of work is it?

It's comparing James Corden in One Man, Two Guvnors against Philip Seymour Hoffman in Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman (and the the other three nominees).

Have you seen both plays on multiple nights to be in a position to judge their respective merits? I suspect not. Your view of Corden in Lesbian Vampire Killers and Hoffman in Capote doesn't count. :D

It's like claiming that Chelsea is not a better team than Bayern Munich despite beating them in the Champions League Final, overall they might not be but on the night they were.

I said James Corden was a great stage actor. I then went on to say that he wasn't a better actor than Philip Seymour Hoffman. I didn't say PSH's nominated perfomance was better than JC's nominated performance. I was saying that PSH is a better actor than JC.

Is that ok with you?
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo March wrote: »
    In his acceptance speech he says about his partner

"She makes me say 'us' instead of 'I' and 'we' instead of 'me', and I love her. Thank you very much."

His comments reminded me of the lyrics to Ben

"I used to say "I and me"
    Now it's us now it's we
    (I used to say "I is me")
    (now it's us now it's we)

Congratulations and well done to him on his award.

I thought the exact same thing :D
  • rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't his first award for his stage acting, is it? Didn't he win some British award too, recently, for a West End play? So he must be some good.

Well done to him, I say.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done James. Is it a solo show? The clip on the news looked very good.

Here is where it all started, his tango adverts (which got banned):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y1Ce0jr3hg
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's been getting really good notices, I don't see how this surprising.
  • Chrisca50Chrisca50 Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I know he's not everybody's cup of tea but I like him and loved him in Gavin and Stacey.

I saw the play in London and the whole cast were marvellous. Wasn't sure if it would translate so well in America even though they changed a few things to 'americanise' it. They obviously loved it and I'm really chuffed for him. His speech does suggest he's not as flash a character as people think he is as I thought he came across as very humble. Well done James!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done James. Is it a solo show? The clip on the news looked very good.

Here is where it all started, his tango adverts (which got banned):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y1Ce0jr3hg
    No, there are about a dozen parts although I believe that most are bit parts and the main lead is often on stage alone for extended periods.

If I remember an interview correctly most of the main cast transferred to Broadway although they couldn't take the whole cast & crew because American Equity laws restrict the number of foreign artists allowed (and insists on a certain number of Americans).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said James Corden was a great stage actor. I then went on to say that he wasn't a better actor than Philip Seymour Hoffman. I didn't say PSH's nominated perfomance was better than JC's nominated performance. I was saying that PSH is a better actor than JC.

Is that ok with you?
    Umm, not sure.

Let me think about it and I'll get back to you.

UPDATE - I seldom look at posters names, so I was not aware that you had posted twice in a row. Therefore I was only replied to the post I quoted and was not aware of your earlier comment.

On reflection therefore, taking this additional information into account, I have decided that yes, it is OK with me.

Glad to help.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really cannot stand James Corden. I detest him.

But he is a great stage actor. I'm sorry.

I think he's an appalling presenter, and incredibly annoying as a "personality"... he was so over-exposed a few years ago I'm not surprised there was a back lash for a while.

However, I thought he was really good in Doctor Who so I can imagine him being good on stage too.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So he's an annoying twerp with an award.

Well done.
  • Like_I_careLike_I_care Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Me and my wife went to watch the play and both came away completely impressed with his acting. He drew you in, you believed everything about the character.
  • Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done James.

OP you seem very bitter, I think the tony judges are more qualified than you to decide. Have you seen the show? It's not as though he got the award for his portrayal of Smithy ffs.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    I guess i am a tad bitter, it should a body of work award like an Oscar is nowadays.

I only saw Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Death Of A Salesman. It was brilliant.

Like i said before he'll never act better than the 4 of them. End of story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Brit who gets condemnation rather than praise, so depressing.

I'm delighted for James, from what I've read he is excellent in One Man Two Guvnors, a Tony award is pretty much up there when it comes to awards.

What impressed me about Corden was that he admitted he was becoming a nightmare, not many celebs do that. Since he's become a dad he seems to have mellowed, his acceptance speech is proof of that - he seems very contented.

Here's the link http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=james%20corden%20arrogant&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFsQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalspy.co.uk%2Fshowbiz%2Fnews%2Fa341795%2Fjames-corden-on-bafta-win-i-was-ungracious-ungrateful-and-bratish.html&ei=YAfWT6aKCOGm0QWFm4mLBA&usg=AFQjCNG14Akt827WaApVZwOsgg48dCTlKA&sig2=eFndpYPT3J-_XsmHjZGoNA