Options

Do you or do you not believe in God? Is your faith strong?

storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm interested to hear why people may or may not believe in God and whether they have a strong connection to their faith. I'm not trying to provoke a reaction, I'm just curious. Please no vulgar language or 'God doesn't exist', if you do say that then state why.

I know this forum has many discussions about religion but this is something I'd like to open, with a bit more meaning and discussion from both sides.

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God doesn't exist. For the same reason fairies, unicorns and magic beanstalks don't exist. They're merely fantasy tales.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since I saw him in south park I believe in Cthulhu.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    God doesn't exist. For the same reason fairies, unicorns and magic beanstalks don't exist. They're merely fantasy tales.

They make good books ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I grew up in a Muslim background, my father is Muslim and my mother originally wasn't. My conflicting cultures that I grew up with were Yemeni/Spanish/English so I was Westerinised to a point but kept to my roots.. My father isn't overly religious, I didn't get forced to pray or abide the Quran's rules but I never stated I was an atheist even though I sometimes feel like one. See when people get born into a religion, it's going to go two ways. The child resents their faith and abandons it or grows up religious. Why not let people choose? If we abandon our faith, what will happen?
  • Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a generally unformed belief of "maybe something exists beyond death" but it's a pretty vague and weak belief that I don't spend much time considering. I try to focus on daily life and not existential questions.

It would be nice to see those that I love who have passed on, and it helps when I miss them sharply.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See I grew up in a Muslim background, my father is Muslim and my mother originally wasn't. My conflicting cultures that I grew up with were Yemeni/Spanish/English so I was Westerinised to a point but kept to my roots.. My father isn't overly religious, I didn't get forced to pray or abide the Quran's rules but I never stated I was an atheist even though I sometimes feel like one. See when people get born into a religion, it's going to go two ways. The child resents their faith and abandons it or grows up religious. Why not let people choose? If we abandon our faith, what will happen?

I was born into a home where my Father supported West ham and my Mother supported Arsenal, I was being blackmailed to choose one or the other, I choose Liverpool :p
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you friends and family love you nothing will happen. :)

Yahweh and the thousands of other God's that humanity have created do not exist.

Religion is from a time before before the scientific method when our ancestors needed a way to explain the (then) unexplainable.

It persists to this day because of our hard wired (and very understandable) fear of the brutal reality of death.

The universe is a very hostile, cold and unfeeling automaton - as is the lean, mean, green machine of nature and natural selection.

Reality can be savage sometimes and most people in the world do not want to face the truth.
  • Options
    Isabella_SaideIsabella_Saide Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    I had my doubts. My faith is nothing strong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the belief in God only based on event's that happened 2000 year's ago, what supposedly happened and what was said is so vague and not particularly convincing for me to believe in Christ, God, Heaven and everything else.

Not that I don't want to believe, it would be quite comforting to know that God and everything else existed. ;-)

A second coming of Christ would help.
  • Options
    Mr MajesterMr Majester Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe in God just not man made religion.:p
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I don't believe in god
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you friends and family love you nothing will happen. :)

Yahweh and the thousands of other God's that humanity have created do not exist.

Religion is from a time before before the scientific method when our ancestors needed a way to explain the (then) unexplainable.

It persists to this day because of our hard wired (and very understandable) fear of the brutal reality of death.

The universe is a very hostile, cold and unfeeling automaton - as is the lean, mean, green machine of nature and natural selection.

Reality can be savage sometimes and most people in the world do not want to face the truth.

You make a good point. I find it disgusting how people are killed and murdered for not abiding by their religion's rules or not following it 'properly'. This is where families believe the power of God will set the person on the right path when they don't realise believing or not believing doesn't make a difference. You won't die from not eating kosher meat if you are a Jewish person or be punished when you die and get sent to hell. Your eyes close, end of.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make a good point. I find it disgusting how people are killed and murdered for not abiding by their religion's rules or not following it 'properly'. This is where families believe the power of God will set the person on the right path when they don't realise believing or not believing doesn't make a difference. You won't die from not eating kosher meat if you are a Jewish person or be punished when you die and get sent to hell. Your eyes close, end of.

The here and now is what is really important. :)

Sadly I believe that when we are gone we are gone.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really subscribe to any organised religions, but I do think everything emanates from a source. You can call it God, but I don't think that's really the right word. I certainly don't think it cares what we do, or that it's even consciously aware of our existence.

I'm fairly unshakeable in that belief.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe in God because there is no need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The here and now is what is really important. :)

Sadly I believe that when we are gone we are gone.

I know a lot of it is to do with culture but we are humans, life is what we make it. Why would you marry someone you met yesterday and have no connection with over someone you love?
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am as certain as I can be there is no God, and I truly hope there isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I don't really subscribe to any organised religions, but I do think everything emanates from a source. You can call it God, but I don't think that's really the right word. I certainly don't think it cares what we do, or that it's even consciously aware of our existence.

I'm fairly unshakeable in that belief.

That's basically what I think too whether it's God or whatever? Not sure but I guess I have faith in this, as for man made religion - meh:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am as certain as I can be there is no God, and I truly hope there isn't.

'IF' there is 'IT' likely doesn't care if there's belief or not.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, no. I don't think I do anyway, though I do wonder about life after death. But when my son was having a very major operation several years ago in which he could have died, I went to the hospital chapel and prayed. Also, one of my loved ones is terminally ill at the moment and has a limited amount of time left, and in recent days I've asked people I'm close to, who are religious and go to church, if they would pray for him. So one thing I am sure about, if nothing else, is that I'm a complete and utter hypocrite. :blush:
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are told to have faith because the only alternative would be evidence and those who promote God can't produce evidence of something that doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Not really, no. I don't think I do anyway, though I do wonder about life after death. But when my son was having a very major operation several years ago in which he could have died, I went to the hospital chapel and prayed. Also, one of my loved ones is terminally ill at the moment and has a limited amount of time left, and in recent days I've asked people I'm close to, who are religious and go to church, if they would pray for him. So one thing I am sure about, if nothing else, is that I'm a complete and utter hypocrite. :blush:

I don't think you're a hypocrite. :) I think in cases like yours, it's about doing anything you can to save your loved one's life because you'd try anything when you're that desperate. I did that once but unfortunately it didn't work for me, so for me even if one day there was undeniable proof that some kind of god exists then it wouldn't make any difference to me, for that reason. I hope your son is ok now and I'm sorry about your loved one who is terminally ill. :(
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    oncemore wrote: »
    I have a generally unformed belief of "maybe something exists beyond death" but it's a pretty vague and weak belief that I don't spend much time considering. I try to focus on daily life and not existential questions.

It would be nice to see those that I love who have passed on, and it helps when I miss them sharply.

I agree with you, I don't care for religion but it'd be nice if we were somehow reunited with our loved ones after death (without religion needing to be involved.)
  • Options
    viajero_americaviajero_america Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    I do believe in god and ,his books and messengers too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe in "the Almighty God in heaven" no, but I do believe Jesus Christ was a real person, probably not much different to someone like Jeremy Corbyn, a decent peace loving bloke, who tried to solve conflict with love and compassion.

Funny they share the same initials too!

The only "thing" I worship (for want of a better word), is nature, and the planet we live on, and what is gives us.
This discussion has been closed.