Options

Do you ever feel awkward encountering women in the street?

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the sense you are concerned they may feel in some way intimitated by you, if say, the street is otherwise quiet. Even if you don't look like a hooded scally. And as a result you feel it necessary to avert your gaze, causing you to feel somewhat inhibited and awkward. Instead of being as you'd prefer, (as the old song goes) walking tall and looking the world right in the eye.

And is this more of an uptight English thing? Just overly concerned about others.

Comments

• Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.... Just you then.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ... if a woman seems intimidated by you ... best to reassure her ... try stroking her hair or arm, look into her eyes and smile ... that should sort things out.
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of get what your getting at

I was walking home during the tube strikes the other night for work and there was a long period of me walking behind this woman I got the distinct feeling she was thinking I was following her so I crossed the road a to not make her feel uncomfortable (and save me getting a face full of mace :D)
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Yes I usually cross the road, overtake, fiddle with my phone or something so that women alone won't get worried I am going to 'do something' to them.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i think it`s a perfectly natural thing to do, other animals give "i`m not a threat" signals, it`s not really out there to think human animals do it too.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have actually had a bloke apologise to me as I was walking down the underpass, he overtook me, made me jump and he said sorry and that he was harmless!

I can understand where he was coming from when he felt the need to apologise merely for being a bloke walking past a woman in a grim lonely underpass.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One guy stopped me for a reason I can't remember. When I looked at him, he said "Whoa, did you just smile at me?" Apparently, the women he stopped in the past looked wary when they looked at him.

I can't blame them, to be honest, as he looked rather odd. A cross between Keith Allen and Udo Kier. But he turned out to be a nice guy, thankfully.

Also, just because I smile doesn't mean it's genuine. My public smile can cover a wide range of emotions including wariness, impatience, anger, nervousness and confusion.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Yes I usually cross the road, overtake, fiddle with my phone or something so that women alone won't get worried I am going to 'do something' to them.

If it's a quiet road at night then I always thought it was the gentlemanly thing to cross the road so as not to spook the woman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    With women, I act the same way as I do with Earth people.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I do think it rather a sad state of affairs that my presence makes people ill at ease - I'm temporarily lumped in with the lowlife scum who do horrible things until I show I am no threat. It's a horrible feeling.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some people are women. get over it.
  • Options
    BarnacleHead12BarnacleHead12 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    My brother and his friend were discussing this recently, and they both said they tend to drop back and cross the road if they end up heading the same way as a lone woman on a quiet street at night.

I remember when I was a student coming back from a lecture. It was early evening, Winter, and dark. As usual, I took a slightly dodgy, deserted short-cut through a nasty part of the city back to our house, which meant going down this alley and then under a railway bridge known to us students as "the rape bridge." Anyway, as I was approaching the rape bridge, I heard footsteps behind me. I felt quite nervous and sped up, but the person behind sped up too (that was how it seemed, he probably didn't really). He caught up with me right at the bridge and overtook me. He was obviously completely harmless, and there was no reason he should have had to slow down to assuage my paranoia, but I still felt irrationally annoyed at him.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been a few times when i've been out later at night and i've encountered lone females who are walking the same way I am. I've always tried to drop back or cross the road just to re-assure them but i always find I made such a fuss of trying not to appear like i'm a weird stalker, I probably made myself look even more like a stalker ..
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's late at night or a relatively deserted area then yes it does bother me that they may be unnerved by the fact I'm there...

At the end of the day it's not me that is the problem though, it's the fact that there are people who are a threat and it's just part of the I despise those people with a passion.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only when I wear a rainmac and am not wearing anything underneath.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    I think ... if a woman seems intimidated by you ... best to reassure her ... try stroking her hair or arm, look into her eyes and smile ... that should sort things out.

What while walking along the road. If a man tried stroking my hair because I looked a bit scared of him I would go mad.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I understand where you are coming from OP. Especially if it's dark. I think it's natural tbh to feel this way.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really awkward, no; but aware yes. I wouldn't go walking really close behind them or anything but I wouldn't with a guy either. I think it would be a bit unnerving for anyone in a dark area with nobody else around, so I do tend to just respect that anyway.

I did once pass a girl while walking to the shop one evening though, I was in a hurry as it was closing soon, so reached her pretty quickly and I clearly spooked her and felt really bad and apologized.

It is quite sad that women feel that way tbh as most people are just going about their business.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    When I am walking and there is a female in front sometimes they look at me over there shoulder and they think I am going to rape them even in the middle of the day. Females are so paranoid and vulnerable if I was going to do it then them looking at me would not stop me. They shouldn't be allowed out of this house alone unless accompanied by a man.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I kinda know what the OP means.

I am tall, have long legs, normally wear trainers and I walk really really fast. Even during the daylight hours I come up steaming behind women to overtake them and accidentally spook them as they don't really hear me until I'm close.

At night time, if I'm closing in on a woman on a quiet street I do often cross the road and cross back later on
  • Options
    mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some women need to get over themselves, you really are not that important. The majority of men are just going about their business like you are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I do think it rather a sad state of affairs that my presence makes people ill at ease - I'm temporarily lumped in with the lowlife scum who do horrible things until I show I am no threat. It's a horrible feeling.
    Exactly how I feel...

I've never so much as lifted a finger to a woman in my life, so yes it makes me feel sad and a little angry to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike joyce wrote: »
    Some women need to get over themselves, you really are not that important.
    Alternativly you could just engage your brain before coming out with this sort of drivel....

The sad fact is that women are more vulnerable to attack, sexual assualt and rape on our streets. Most men with an ounce of humanitity are consious of that.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some women need to get over themselves, you really are not that important. The majority of men are just going about their business like you are.

You really seem to dislike women. Why is that?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`s normal and natural for any species of animal to be wary of something or someone it doesn`t know, it`s a very basic survival thing and it goes for men as well as women, we`re all programmed to keep an eye out for threats.