Options

Apple invent their own built in Sim Card

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    ... the iPhone outsells it's nearest competitor (Samsung) in a majority of countries around the world ...
    Its competitors are WIndows Phone, Blackberry and Android.
    IPhone is little different to Blackberry in the way it operates. That does not stop WIndows Phone and Android being competitors too.

So will the iPhone stay above 10% market share ? The phablet be it several years late gives it a chance.
    Next year you likely get 2GB Ram and the year after the phablet should get Dual Windows.
    I'd expect the 2GB iPad to get dual windows in the new year. But better late than never.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    kidspud comments ...........When you say most, how many out of the several hundred million do you think said that?

Well are you going to tell us?
    kidspud comments..........Well at least we've moved from 'most' to 'quite a few poster

Whilst waiting for you to provide us with a definitive figure.
    kidspud comments..........The isn't a fact, that is just a very silly comment you have made up

You don't know that it isn't a fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes we can, like for example there were 20million iP6's pre-sold in china in 48 hours. I think you'll find at the end of this calendar quarter that Apple will be doing very nicely in China thank you, and probably outselling Samsung (for top end phones)

And yet Apple's own figures recently released shows growth in Greater China only up 1% on a year ago with revenue down 3% - hmm!

You are now stating outselling Samsung for top end phones - another cherry picking stat I assume?
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't believe anything Apple tell you. They only tell you when and what they want you to know!
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Well are you going to tell us?

Whilst waiting for you to provide us with a definitive figure.

You don't know that it isn't a fact.

Are you asking me to tell you how you came up with the 'most' statement:confused: sorry, can't help you, however, it was only 2 posts later that you reduced the number by several hundred million so you seem to have corrected yourself.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Its competitors are WIndows Phone, Blackberry and Android.
    IPhone is little different to Blackberry in the way it operates. That does not stop WIndows Phone and Android being competitors too.

So will the iPhone stay above 10% market share ?

Will Ford stay above 10% market share of cars ? Do you write them off if not ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And yet Apple's own figures recently released shows growth in Greater China only up 1% on a year ago with revenue down 3% - hmm!

We all know they have only just got started in China, having released a large screen phone in the market where it really matters, and also offering state of the art LTE support (specific to China).
    [You are now stating outselling Samsung for top end phones - another cherry picking stat I assume?

I didn't "state" anything, I said probably, why don't we wait and see ?
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Yes we can, like for example there were 20million iP6's pre-sold in china in 48 hours. I think you'll find at the end of this calendar quarter that Apple will be doing very nicely in China thank you, and probably outselling Samsung (for top end phones)

That was western media getting ahead of themselves.

It was never 20 million. They will sell that many over time though.

BTW, if anyone is interested. Apple sold through a total of 86k units in Taiwan during September. Its estimated that around ~60k of these units were iPhone 6/6+ and the rest were 5's and 4's.

HTC, Samsung and Asus beat out iPhone sales in Taiwan during the same month with 152k, 104k and 92k respectively. Despite this, Apple iPhone sales are expected to pick up this quarter in Taiwan due to wider availability of the new models.

There were 2129k smartphones sold through during Q3 in Taiwan with HTC selling through 460k, Asus with 309k and Samsung with 307k. Its estimated that Apple sold through just under 200k in the same time period.

It's estimated that Apple will ship 800k smartphones to Taiwan this quarter and should sell in 1 million iPhone 6/6+ to networks and retailers before the end of the fiscal year.

The new iPhone along with releases from HTC, Asus, Samsung and Huawei are expected to push Taiwan's 4G subscriber to over 3 million before the end of the year.

*Sold Through = sold to consumers
    *Sold In = sold to Networks/retailers.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Apple in Mainland China

In Q2 2014, Apple sold a total of 35.2m iPhones worldwide. It's estimated that just under 7m of these smartphones were sold in to China.

In the same period, Xiaomi shipped a total of 15 million smartphones in China, Samsung with over 13 million.

Whilst sales are expected to grow in Q3, they won't be too high as the iPhone 6 won't launch until Q4 CY2014.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tdenson comments................We all know they have only just got started in China

October 2009 = 5 years. :confused:
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is about the Apple SIM, so everything else is off topic.

Can we not wreck yet another Appe thread please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone actually went and researched stuff on it all.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/27/ipads_soft_sim_is_the_thin_end_of_the_wedge_for_carriers/

"The software-managed Apple SIM model moves Apple into a mediation position because for operators to be present on the Apple SIM, operators must negotiate terms direct with Apple"
    "among others), to the first attempt at an Apple-controlled SIM, back in 2010.That was far more aggressive than the current effort, and far more overtly political in agenda...turning it into an MVNO "

Not being a proper phablet like the Galaxy Tab etc, APple are likely allowed to embed/remove the Sim 100%.
    Is that next?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone actually went and researched stuff on it all.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/27/ipads_soft_sim_is_the_thin_end_of_the_wedge_for_carriers/

"The software-managed Apple SIM model moves Apple into a mediation position because for operators to be present on the Apple SIM, operators must negotiate terms direct with Apple"
    "among others), to the first attempt at an Apple-controlled SIM, back in 2010.That was far more aggressive than the current effort, and far more overtly political in agenda...turning it into an MVNO "

Not being a proper phablet like the Galaxy Tab etc, APple are likely allowed to embed/remove the Sim 100%.
    Is that next?

Good article that highlight the convenience it brings to the user.

Regarding your question, in theory the Sim could be embedded but I can't think of a good business reason why they would do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well obviously.
    :rolleyes:

Apple are unlikely to sell that many through the networks, and adding 3G/4G to the base model could earn them say 20% commission on anyone who tried to use an embedded Sim.

Obviously the biggest user convenience out there is the Dual Sim. With that the customer still access to a full market place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    October 2009 = 5 years. :confused:

Sorry, I thought you knew what I meant by "only just got started". What I meant was getting started seriously now that they have China Mobile plus a phone suited to the market. They were scratching the surface before that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Ford stay above 10% market share of cars ? Do you write them off if not ?
    Well Ford cars drive on the same roads as other cars.
    Non proprietary web apps 'drive on all roads' which is why the web browser is so important for the consumer.

Long term, Apple Sim wants to be your sole agent for mobile broadband.
    For now, it seems to be there for the US only, just like the NFC tap and pay facilty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well obviously.
    :rolleyes:

Apple are unlikely to sell that many through the networks, and adding 3G/4G to the base model could earn them say 20% commission on anyone who tried to use an embedded Sim.

Obviously the biggest user convenience out there is the Dual Sim. With that the customer still access to a full market place.

How is dual sim the best? Even with a single sim you have access to the whole market. Having the functionality of a programmable sim also gives the potential of access to the whole market. Dual sim just looks like some cobbled together half baked solution.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Sims that offer access to one supplier only at inflated prices seem a much better idea :D
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vodafone dismiss Apples Soft SIM

Vodafone CEO Vittorio Colao launched a scathing attack on Apples soft SIM.

Vodafone CEO Vittorio Colao has dismissed the Apple Soft-SIM as “just an EE SIM” and said that it would not be supported by his company.

“To me, a SIM which can switch from one operator to the other [but] ... is locked – I’m not sure how much to support [it],” the charismatic CEO said.

He can see the benefits, though. “Is there a need to provide for these data devices to provide the customer with a solution that allows the network to activate them and deactivate them? Yes. In that sense it is a step in the right direction.”

But he says that Apple is not on the right track, telling a small gathering of journalists: “The solution that Apple propose is not consistent with what we like. It’s not consistent with what we have been working at the GSMA level. It is not consistent with the long term solution for the industry.”

He was scathing of EE’s support for the Apple technology: “For the time being if you get a so-called Apple SIM it’s only an EE SIM today, so we are swapping, delivering devices with our own SIM. “

What he really means is that the Apple solution for the soft SIM puts the choice of the mobile network in the hands of Apple and the consumer, and not the networks. And that’s why he aligns with the GSMA, which is the trade association for the networks.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/11/vodafone_dismisses_apples_sim/
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    I doubt many would have thought Vodafone could act in a customer friendly way, they are run with the same mindset as AT&T...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....What he really means is that the Apple solution for the soft SIM puts the choice of the mobile network in the hands of Apple and the consumer, and not the networks. ...
    Well, it is still 'locked to Apple and whoever pays to join its semi-lock club'. I'm assuming that Apple is now the agent, CPW like.

The consumer really wants unlocked phones, or barring that, a cheap unlock.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've got to admit they're now increasingly seen as naff and uncool by many.

Why on earth would your average intelligent adult want something that is used by kids and teens up and down the land? The school playgrounds are full of the things.

They've become a victim of ther own success. No thanks.

Hold on a minute.

One minute it's all about how much Android dominates market share.

The next it's all about how people wouldn't want an iPhone because everyone has one.

Which is it?

One minute (literally in the same post here!) Apple is "seem as increasingly uncool".

The next people wouldn't want one because so many people have them.

Again, which is it?

I am neither a kid nor easily confused either.

I suspect most intelligent adults would not rule out an iPhone on the grounds of how cool Apple were perceived to be, or how many kids had one.

Most intelligent adults would just get a phone that suited their needs and preferences the most.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, it's just there are so many better phones on the market that can do all you require and more. I suspect it is people like you who can't see past their own brand/OS prejudices.

"Better" is entirely subjective.

Headline specs don't mean that much, as there is very little real world difference in performance between current top end phones.

With functionality, although there are some (mostly very specific) differences, just because they exist on one device but not on another doesn't make them objectively useful or desirable by everyone equally.

I think when you say "prejudice", "preference" would be more apt.
    I have lots of Apple gear but that doesn't mean I slavishly purchase everything they make. I think the iPhone is the least desirable product they make. The new one is a real step backwards from the 5s. It has no redeeming features and Apple are now simply following the crowd and trying to play catchup - especially with Lollipop.

I can't imagine many people at all "slavishly buy every product they make".

I don't see how the new iPhone, which has pretty much every spec improved over the old iPhone can be a step backwards.

What actually are the redeeming features of other phones missing from the iPhone?

As far as I can tell all of the current top end smartphones are superb devices and it mostly comes down to personal preference.

For all the fanboy accusations that come my way I never go on about how much better the iphone is, but rather question suggestions like this that the iPhone is somehow significantly and objectively inferior, and people who buy it wouldn't if only they knew better.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Has it been markedly upgraded/improved though bit of a faster processor but little else really.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    So you agree the soft sim is limited by providers and tariffs. So if the sim slot is removed, which will happen you maintain that all available tariffs and providers will be ported to this virtual sim, am I correct?

Give it time and the sim will cease to exist, this is just the start of a slippery slope. This have been in articles for a while now about Apple wanting to get rid of the sim.
    Networks in the UK should tell apple where to go,, but they won't.