I Pad Air 2

b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody have the iPad air 2 yet .if so reviews on it please .is it worth upgrading from

Ipad 2. Not the air .or Galaxy S .fed up with my iPad 2 since the update still freezing pic on some websites .and slower ....

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Air 2 is massively faster than the ipad 2. Even last years iPad Air would be a great upgrade.
  • mitchey316mitchey316 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    b.lever wrote: »
    Anybody have the iPad air 2 yet .if so reviews on it please .is it worth upgrading from

Ipad 2. Not the air .or Galaxy S .fed up with my iPad 2 since the update still freezing pic on some websites .and slower ....

I've gone from a 2 to an air 2 and the difference is well worth it. It's so much faster and the retina screen is a lot clearer.
  • b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mitchey316 wrote: »
    I've gone from a 2 to an air 2 and the difference is well worth it. It's so much faster and the retina screen is a lot clearer.

It's not affected by the iOS upgrade is it .thanks for you replies .keep them coming .
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iPad 2 is *ancient* in tech time.

The iPad Air 2 is vastly superior. Hell, even the iPad Air 1 and iPad 4 are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not affected by the iOS upgrade is it .thanks for you replies .keep them coming .

It's fast and smooth. The reloading tab issue has gone too. Anything else you need to know just ask
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fast and smooth. The reloading tab issue has gone too. Anything else you need to know just ask

Just one other question how do I .transfer my email adreses from iPad 2 to iPad air 2.not bothered about apps can re do them . ....:)
  • digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went and upgraded to an Air 2 from a 2 this weekend. Cumulatively, it's noticeably thinner and far snappier than the 2 which has slowed down considerably with ios 8. Worth the upgrade.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another reminder to those with older iPads - don't upgrade to iOS 8.

Every major iOS update makes the older models run more slowly. If you don't need to update, don't do it.
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

Every major iOS update makes the older models run more slowly. If you don't need to update, don't do it.

Good advice. I really regret "upgrading" my iPad 2 to iOS 8. It now runs even more slowly than it did under iOS7. I'll be ordering the Air 2 on Black Friday, hopefully it will be discounted then, iPads usually are.

It is possible to factory reset the device but I really don't want the hassle of doing this to a device I'll soon be replacing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just one other question how do I .transfer my email adreses from iPad 2 to iPad air 2.not bothered about apps can re do them . ....:)

I just restored from a cloud back up and it was identical to my iPad 2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for your words of wisdom .but no ones told me how to transfer my emails from iPad 2 . To the new iPad air 2 ( when I buy one ) not bothered about apps can redo them myself .can I do them from iCloud .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for your words of wisdom .but no ones told me how to transfer my emails from iPad 2 . To the new iPad air 2 ( when I buy one ) not bothered about apps can redo them myself .can I do them from iCloud .sorry ment to say email addresses
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mitchey316 answered your question :)

Restore from a backup (it can be iTunes or iCloud).

Make sure you know the passwords, though, as certain accounts and apps do not restore passwords when the backup is restored to a different device than the one that made it.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

I can echo that. If you are still using an iPad 2 and are happy with it, don't upgrade the OS. I've met so many people who are disappointed after upgrading I'm leaving mine alone until I decde to buy the iPad Air or the latest version.
    With the drop in price for the first IPad Air, I think I'll be going for that. There doesn't appear to be a compelling reason to go for the Air 2 as far as I can see ?

Another reason why I'm not likely to go for the very latest version is that I'm inclined to think 16GB won't be enough (that's all I've had in the iPad 2) with the Air and newer apps
    But the next jump for the IPad Air 2 is 64GB at £479, a bit more than I'm prepared to spend. The iPad Air has the 32GB version at £359 now, which seems like a reasonable deal.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    ... the IPad Air 2 is 64GB at £479, a bit more than I'm prepared to spend. The iPad Air has the 32GB version at £359 now, which seems like a reasonable deal.

Expecting to get my iPad Air 2 (64gb) delivered today! Great service, as only ordered yesterday morning.

Yes, it's expensive, as everything made by Apple tends to be. But the reason I went for this model rather than the Air 32gb, is that for £120 extra I get double the storage (which I was always running out of on my iPad 4 16gb) plus the extra tech boost and an even lighter device.

Also looking - and I emphasize looking - at the iMac 5K machine. Luv-er-ly, but very expensive. Although, I must say, it' seems good value when compared to the Del 5k screen which is around the same cost for that alone, whereas the iMac is a complete machine, of course. However, for that kind of money, I really need to get to an Apple store and see one in action. Ideally, I'd like to swap from the Windows world, but still run my Windows 7 and apps under Coherence/ BootC|amp, of which I hear very good things indeed. All that's stopping me, the small matter of forking out at least £2,500 for hardware. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Could someone do a comparative of the ipad air and the ipad air 2? I am still in love with my ipad air and don't really want to update it unless the ipad air 2 is far superior.
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Could someone do a comparative of the ipad air and the ipad air 2?

Apple have already made a comparrison chart -

https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/#comparison-chart

Basically, just about enough superiority for me, upgrading form iPad4 16gb, but probably not enough for you to abandon your iPad Air.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Air and my mate got the Air 2 on launch date, i did not think it could be that much different but it feels a lot thiner and you can notice the speed difference. So from an iPad 2 it must be a massive jump, i had the iPad 2 before the Air and the Air felt a hell of a lot faster. Best thing to always do is go visit an Apple Store and play.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gone from an iPad 4 to an iPad Air 2. (step daughter uncrossed her legs Ruth the iPad on it and smashed it bad. Accident bless her). Love the shape and the thinness of it. Love the speed and the graphics with the metal enhancement. Rocking this keyboard which is £59 for the black one at Currys at the moment (others are £89)

http://mobile.logitech.com/en-gb/product/type-plus-keyboard-ipad-air2?crid=1240

PJ
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expecting to get my iPad Air 2 (64gb) delivered today! Great service, as only ordered yesterday morning.

Yes, it's expensive, as everything made by Apple tends to be. But the reason I went for this model rather than the Air 32gb, is that for £120 extra I get double the storage (which I was always running out of on my iPad 4 16gb) plus the extra tech boost and an even lighter device.

That's fair enough, I'm sure you're buying a great piece of kit. I think the first iPad Air will do me for now, and I can't imagine needing 64GB for my needs. I've never had a problem managing with 16GB on the iPad 2, but I have read some professional reviews that say it's next to useless with the Air ? Therefore the first iPad Air with 32GB seems a reasonable ( and cheaper) compromise.
    Enjoy your purchase and come back and tell us your first impressions, it might change my mind !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to say the new anti reflective screen is splendid too. Don't know if the original iPad Air had that but it is great.

PJ
    Forum Member
    I've never had a problem managing with 16GB ....
    Enjoy your purchase and come back and tell us your first impressions, it might change my mind !

I too thought I'd be fine with 16gb on my iPad 4, until I got into the fantastic music making apps that are available. They take up lots of space, so I ended up deleting those I wasn't using, only to find I needed them for something that occurred. So, unable to add more RAM, there was only one way to go.

Juts getting to grips with my iPad Air 2, and so far it is astonishing. I cannot believe how light and thin the thing is, in fact I am a little nervous of handling it 'cause the space gray case is slippy, so I'll be glad when Amazon deliver my new smart case... hopefully in a couple of hours from now. The Air 2 does seem remarkably zippy in use, and restoring all my stuff from a back up of the iPad4 took less time than I'd imagined, and seems to have worked flawlessly. I haven't actually tried all of the 80+ apps I have on the machine, as yet. ;-) All I have to do now is try not to use up the remaining 40+ gig of RAM too soon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it is the same resolution as my iPad 4 but the whites look crisper on the internet and it looks brighter, I guess thanks to the anti reflective screen.
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    I know it is the same resolution as my iPad 4 but the whites look crisper on the internet and it looks brighter, I guess thanks to the anti reflective screen.

Yes, I know what you mean. I keep looking at my iPad Air 2 and thinking it's been beamed in from Star Trek Next Gen, except ironically the tablets shown there were clunky by comparison!

Thus far I'm really impressed with this little machine. It's faster than my iPad 4, better able to handle the Net, the 2gb of RAM produces a visible boost to RAM hungry apps, the screen coating makes everything look better, and the fingerprint reader makes life easier. The only negatives are small things, which can be solved by an IOS 8 update. For example, I can use the fingerprint reader for purchasing apps, but not for writing reviews of those apps. Doh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know what you mean. I keep looking at my iPad Air 2 and thinking it's been beamed in from Star Trek Next Gen, except ironically the tablets shown there were clunky by comparison!

Thus far I'm really impressed with this little machine. It's faster than my iPad 4, better able to handle the Net, the 2gb of RAM produces a visible boost to RAM hungry apps, the screen coating makes everything look better, and the fingerprint reader makes life easier. The only negatives are small things, which can be solved by an IOS 8 update. For example, I can use the fingerprint reader for purchasing apps, but not for writing reviews of those apps. Doh!

The screen looks better around the edge too, flat the black suuround.