Options

Cats (or Dogs) suffering mental disorders?

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've often wondered if animals other than humans suffer with comparable disorders to Schizophrenia, Bipolar disorder or even bog standard depression.

We have always joked that my parents cat suffers from Anxiety and depression (grouchy, sad, scared of everything and antisocial 99% of the time) - she just has to be left alone!

I guess it would be so so difficult to ever tell..

I thought of this just because of the thread below about 'cats seeing things'. What if instead of having a 6th sense, they are merely suffering psychosis?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are several veterinary medications specifically licensed to treat psychological conditions in animals including various obsessive/compulsive disorders, self-harming, fears and phobias, anxiety, senile dementia, hyperactivity, etc.
    There are also human medications that are used off-license to treat animal emotional and psychological conditions with similar symptoms that the meds are intended to alleviate in humans.
    Despite the "no bad dogs" argument I'ver certainly come across a few homicidal, psychopathic dogs and one or two similarly minded cats .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tass wrote: »
    There are several veterinary medications specifically licensed to treat psychological conditions in animals including various obsessive/compulsive disorders, self-harming, fears and phobias, anxiety, senile dementia, hyperactivity, etc.
    There are also human medications that are used off-license to treat animal emotional and psychological conditions with similar symptoms that the meds are intended to alleviate in humans.
    Despite the "no bad dogs" argument I'ver certainly come across a few homicidal, psychopathic dogs and one or two similarly minded cats .

Do you have any sources for this? (Not that I disbelieve you! :)) But I haven't been able to find much about this subject, let alone designated medication treatments!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Do you have any sources for this? (Not that I disbelieve you! :)) But I haven't been able to find much about this subject, let alone designated medication treatments!

Look up Clomicalm (clomipramine) and Selgian (selegiline), Vivitonin can also help senile dementia because it increases blood supply and therefore oxygen to the brain.
    You'll have to take my word for the rest as I'm not about to start hunting out all the scientific papers :D
    As with treating people it's not just about knowing what is available but about how and when to use it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tass wrote: »
    Look up Clomicalm and Selgian, Vivitonin can also help senile dementia because it increases blood supply and therefore oxygen to the brain.
    You'll have to take my word for the rest as I'm not about to start hunting out all the scientific papers :D
    As with treating people it's not just about knowing what is available but about how and when to use it ;)

Many thanks, that is a good starting point!

Despite many googles for 'Cat/Dog mental illness' etc. I haven't been able to find anything conclusive/solid about anything.

One Google of those medication names and I'm away! Thank you :)
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a dog with dementia he was 12 when it started, we also had a dog with depression (it happened each time she was due to come onto heat which was the major reason we had her neutered).