iPhone 5S & 5C launch thread Tuesday 10th September 6PM

1242526272830»

Comments

• Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »

I assume all phone manufacturers are comeng in to the same issue, I know people who haven't upgraded to the S4 because their S3 does what they need it to.

Totally agree with this.

I've got the S3 at the moment and don't see any point upgrading the S4 as it's not much of a jump.

In fact i dont really see any point in upgrading every year unless there is a feature you really want on the New phone.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree with this.

I've got the S3 at the moment and don't see any point upgrading the S4 as it's not much of a jump.

In fact i dont really see any point in upgrading every year unless there is a feature you really want on the New phone.

For me the biggest advantage I get when upgrading is an even better camera which is always useful but they are getting so good that even that is becoming less and less noticeable.

I probably will end up selling my N4 for an N5 but it will be for more a change than anything else. Also the Nexus prices don't sting so much as other manufacturers.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...It's believed to be two cortex A57 and two cortex A53 in a big.little configuration with a ImgTec PowerVR Series 6 GPU.
    I had guessed it as a dual A53 with a PowerVR series 6.

I'm left wondering if they have left Samsung on this, as I believe the A6 is designed in consultation with Samsung.

Yet with Samsung being advanced in the big.little thing maybe this is still a co-Samsung design. Whilst competitors, I can also see the advantage of supplying Apple first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I had guessed it as a dual A53 with a PowerVR series 6.

I'm left wondering if they have left Samsung on this, as I believe the A6 is designed in consultation with Samsung.

Yet with Samsung being advanced in the big.little thing maybe this is still a co-Samsung design.

Where did you get information that the A6 was designed in consultation with Samsung?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you get information that the A6 was designed in consultation with Samsung?
    I made an edit. I always see Apple as a customer/partner.Even looking back at Asus Macbooks. Apple never sued Asus so leaves one thinking those Apple keyboards etc were always part Asus designs anyway.

The A6 thing is opinion. It made very little sense for both of them to reinvent the wheel, and why Samsung still supply Apple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made an edit. I always see Apple as a customer/partner.

I'm sure it would have came out if the A6 or A7 was designed with help from Samsung, I have never heard any mention of it.

I'm also unsure why Apple would need help creating an SoC using ARM reference designs when they bought a semiconductor company exactly for that purpose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it would have came out if the A6 or A7 was designed with help from Samsung.
    From who?

We know that Apple have smartphone and laptop screens of differing quality from differing suppliers as much because of the visible differences.

Leaks on this matter do Samsung nor Apple any good. But I really can't see them working in splendid isolation, yet designing very similar SOCs.
    BTW the news had Samsung licensing the 64 bit ARM 12 months ago, yet we had little news on Apple, though they probably did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... I have never heard any mention of it. I'm also unsure why Apple would need help creating an SoC using ARM reference designs when they bought a semiconductor company exactly for that purpose.
    To save money and time? Just because they buy someone, does not make the purchase wise or instantly fruitful.

And we got told 2+ years ago Apple would move to TSMC etc
    yet this mutual relationship with Samsung still holds strong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To save money and time? Just because they buy someone, does not make the purchase wise or instantly fruitful.

And we got told 2+ years ago Apple would move to TSMC etc
    yet this mutual relationship with Samsung still holds strong.

Apple are always going to need someone to manufacture their SoCs in large quantities and Samsung fit the bill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True but two heads are better than one.
    Especially when one of them had near enough designed 100% of the SOCs beforehand.