Android google play and iPlayer

Just got new TV that powered by the Android TV platform. I was pretty sure I'd be able to download the BBC iPlayer app from the google play store (via the TV) but I can't even see the iPlayer app as an option.
I've created a google play account and logged on via he TV. Its connected to my wifi (I can go on YouTube and other apps). Even when I search for iPlayer I can't find it. I read that you need the "BBC Media Player" but I can't find that either.
Any suggestions where I'm going wrong?

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We may need the make and model of the tv...
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always try a firmware update for the TV.
  • captainmcaptainm Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    We may need the make and model of the tv...

It's a B&O Horizon
  • DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes, on older Androids Google Play will still show the app like My5 but say device is incompatible but to not see BBC I player at all is strange as it is definitely on it
    You may have to update google play in settings.
    I guess the Android tv has a browser ?
    Try downloading Aptoide app then BBC I player from there if you have no luck on play store as a last option but should try getting it from play store.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Android TV requires the developers to make specific changes to there apps for them to work with Android TV (it's not an unmodified Tablet app - needs remote control optimisations). And as far as I know non of the main UK broadcasters have done that (although apparently for Android TV the iPlayer is an NVidia Shield exclusive http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/16/bbc-and-nvidia-release-an-iplayer-app-exclusively-for-shield-android-tv-owners-in-the-uk/ )

Can you not tune to BBC ONE (SD) and access it via the Red Button? You should also be able to cast from the iPlayer app on your tablet or mobile.