The people who keep complaining to ofcom are the true enemy.

Comments

• crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    I strongly disagree. I think there needs to be room in life for improvement, for monitoring, and regulation, in order than we act like civilised human beings and progress as a species. If we don't analyse situations and critique them and whistleblow when necessary, then we are simply passive observers of every situation.

The world is quickly becoming a global environment controlled by a very few people whilst everyone else fails to comment / vote / complain / participate. It might start small, with a TV show, but its representative of a wider issue - that of participation and integrity and ethics and morality.

I feel sorry people can't see that because I think it is an important factor of life to be able to say 'hey, I don't agree with this practise and I want my voice to be heard'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once complained during BB7 cause on BBBM the messages on the bottom of the screen which people had texted all referred to richard being evicted when it was grace. The only time i ever complained.
  • phonixphonix Posts: 5,266
    Forum Member
    I strongly disagree. I think there needs to be room in life for improvement, for monitoring, and regulation, in order than we act like civilised human beings and progress as a species. If we don't analyse situations and critique them and whistleblow when necessary, then we are simply passive observers of every situation.

The world is quickly becoming a global environment controlled by a very few people whilst everyone else fails to comment / vote / complain / participate. It might start small, with a TV show, but its representative of a wider issue - that of participation and integrity and ethics and morality.

I feel sorry people can't see that because I think it is an important factor of life to be able to say 'hey, I don't agree with this practise and I want my voice to be heard'.

You have an illegal drug as your username! Also lets not forget we are talking about a TV show here and not the next stage of Darwinianism. Kind of proves the point that the OFCOM fans do seem to lack perspective at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And did you?
    nope. i should've though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    But 30,000 of them them complained during the CBB "Race ROW"? :eek: Seems excessive :eek:
    Kebab shops and Indian take-aways must have had a quiet patch then. ;)
    Forum Member
    phonix wrote: »
    You have an illegal drug as your username! Also lets not forget we are talking about a TV show here and not the next stage of Darwinianism. Kind of proves the point that the OFCOM fans do seem to lack perspective at times.

All the thoughts and actions of people are part of humanity and therefore evidence of the progress of life, no matter what twists and turns they take.

I don't think I lack perspective, and I don't think my opinion proves anything in particular - it is just my opinion.

As for my name, that doesn't relate in any sense to the discussion but if you feel that it is unacceptable, I would uphold your rights as a human being to complain to the authorities of this site about it. And if they asked me to change it for the greater good of all, then I would do so. That is how far I would go to uphold the rights of individual to contribute to the status quo. I feel sorry that you can't be so generous as to allow other people their points of view.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I strongly disagree. I think there needs to be room in life for improvement,

It would be more useful if people would care about the cut down in civil liberties, the illegal war in Iraq and the actual racist bullying going on every day.

It ' s a bit like the canvas bag recycle trip, empty gestures to apeace the guilty mind.

In Germany they canvas bag since over ten years yet they fly around the globe as cheap as possible in drones .. ..
    Forum Member
    All the thoughts and actions of people are part of humanity and therefore evidence of the progress of life, no matter what twists and turns they take.

I don't think I lack perspective, and I don't think my opinion proves anything in particular - it is just my opinion.

As for my name, that doesn't relate in any sense to the discussion but if you feel that it is unacceptable, I would uphold your rights as a human being to complain to the authorities of this site about it. And if they asked me to change it for the greater good of all, then I would do so. That is how far I would go to uphold the rights of individual to contribute to the status quo. I feel sorry that you can't be so generous as to allow other people their points of view.

Oh come on get a bit of perspective here! I just thought it was unusual that you had the name of a destructive drug with your views. Seriously, BB and this forum are just small things, thats all. Lets not get apocolyptic about a TV show and a forum. The sky is still there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BB observers aren't passive. They get to vote.

Surely the time spent moaning to ofcom could be more realistically 'progressing the species' (hilarious) by fighting bigger villains than the producers of a game show?
    Forum Member
    jlrob wrote: »

Surely the time spent moaning to ofcom could be more realistically 'progressing the species' (hilarious) by fighting bigger villains than the producers of a game show?

Exactly. Im sure endomol would be delighted to think that they had a hand in the next stage of the evolution of the human species :D

Maybe we will all evolve with just one finger to make hitting the re-dial for OFCOM more easy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,238
    Forum Member
    lwo wrote: »
    Dont know about the rest of you but im getting bloody fedup of these people who feel its civic duty to keep phoning or emailing ofcom about Big brother.
    What really is annoying me now a load of blog entries on the skynews website had these people berating the show yet all included "but we've not watched it".
    Of course durning CBB people had 100% right to complain,there's no doubt in my mind we already have a more watered down version of BB this year and thats not a good thing,
    the most worrying thing these people would be so happy if we had BB4 all the damn time basically not worth being on the TV.
    I have to agree with you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually - I wonder how a house full of 12 ofcom complainers would pan out....?

I can see the Sun headlines now....

F*CKOFCOM - You Hypocrites!
    Forum Member
    Doc Shmok wrote: »
    It would be more useful if people would care about the cut down in civil liberties, the illegal war in Iraq and the actual racist bullying going on every day.

It ' s a bit like the canvas bag recycle trip, empty gestures to apeace the guilty mind.

In Germany they canvas bag since over ten years yet they fly around the globe as cheap as possible in drones .. ..

I agree, but I still think that if people feel that they are participating in television rather than just watching it, then that is a small change towards participating in other things.

Too much of life is dictated to us these days without consultation, at least this type of TV purports to be with our consultation, even though we know its not really real and its very controlled, it gives the general idea of participation rather than just dictation. That it the seed of an ideology that goes further than what it first appears to be.

We never had things like this when we were kids, no-one said you can phone and vote and influence the outcome. We were simple observers of something far beyond our influence. The kids of today are going to have a different idea about the world. I understand people don't agree with me but I think the right to participate, complain, vote, moan, etc, are tiny helpful moves towards more global human rights. I know that sounds idealistic and unrealistic but hey, 10 years ago who thought smoking in pubs would be banned???
    Forum Member
    They would want a phone in the house to phone ofcom:D
    Forum Member
    Oh come on get a bit of perspective here! I just thought it was unusual that you had the name of a destructive drug with your views. Seriously, BB and this forum are just small things, thats all. Lets not get apocolyptic about a TV show and a forum. The sky is still there.

It depends how you view life, whether you consider every action you take to be an ethical, moral, or act of integrity. I would say that possibly in choosing my name I didn't act with a great deal of integrity (it was a bit 'clever' and a bit 'egotistical') and it has come under criticism not only from you but several times. If the owners of this site asked me to change it, I would.

Everything we do is a choice, and by making our choice we influence the future. Depending on certain choices, the sky may not still be there, it may be smogged and obliterated by nuclear clouds or fog or god knows what. I view things as microcosms of the larger picture, just my opinion.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Now I wouldn't bother complaining about the usual Big Brother bickering, squabbling and editing - I can rant on here about that :D

And I will agree that some people are far too quick to run to Ofcom for the slightest of things.

However, I do think that viewers were disturbed by some of what was happening during CBB5 and went to Ofcom purely because they didn't know what else to do. Channel Four weren't listening to complaints and I do think it was more about sending a message that they wouldn't condone the behaviour on screen, rather than trying to sabotage the show.

Bearing that in mind I think things will go back to normal now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Maybe we will all evolve with just one finger to make hitting the re-dial for OFCOM more easy :D

Just for you phonix :D

I knew this pic would come in "handy" for something :)

http://www.pics22.com/the_digit.jpg
    Forum Member
    jlrob wrote: »

I totally agree. I am sorry you think my idea of progressing the species is hilarious because I think it is an important consideration of being alive. As I said in my previous post, when I was a kid, television was 'dictated' to me, nowadays, the youth of today are under the impression that they can control the outcome of reality TV. Probably, I am guessing here, that this attitude will carry forward with them into other areas of their life and they will contribute to change in bigger issues.

Realistically, what are any of us here doing to address 'bigger issues'? I think people feel so disempowered and alienated. Any attempt (pretence?) at inclusion and influence is surely a good thing and will change the way our kids think about the future?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    It really does depend on what people are complaining about. To see if it's justified you do need to be able to see it from their point of view.

With the last CBB and the allegations of racist bullying, a complaint to Ofcom isn't saying, "please don't show me this kind of thing" it's saying, "please stop this kind of thing."

If you believe that you're watching racism at work you have a duty to report it in any situation. If someone complained about a racist colleague bullying someone at work it wouldn't make any sense to say, "Look, I know it upsets you, so just don't watch while it's happening."

If you didn't think that there was racism in that series then complaining might seem wrong. But even so, you'd have to accept that to someone who firmly believes it was racist behaviour a complaint is completely justified.

If you called the police to report someone breaking into a car and they said, "please don't complain about that sort of thing... if you don't like it, just don't watch" you'd be a bit put out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, but I still think that if people feel that they are participating in television rather than just watching it, then that is a small change towards participating in other things.....

moan, etc, are tiny helpful moves towards more global human rights. I know that sounds idealistic and unrealistic but hey, 10 years ago who thought smoking in pubs would be banned???

Well people couldn't text but demostrated and weren't ignored. Maybe everybody should have texted Tony before the Iraq war.. :cool:

People have 3 million debts and a CCTV up their a**e .. but hey they can text.. in and participate.. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just written a complaint to Ofcom -

Dear Ofcom,

I don’t complain normally but please can you take note that Endemol need to increase the number of sound dips in their broadcasting of Big Brother.
    My ears have started to bleed. When I mentioned this to my Doctor he told me he had seen an unusual number of similar cases during the past 2 to 3 days. He said there seems to be an epidemic of Charleyitis sweeping the country and the only cure is to complain to you and ask Endemol to increase the frequency of their sound dips.

I've had wrap a bandage around my head to soak up the blood - I look like a kamikaze pilot, but the red patches are on either side of my head instead of the middle of my forehead. This has caused me great mental stress as I am now being subjected to Bullying by me friends.

Ta

Barcud
    Forum Member
    Doc Shmok wrote: »
    Well people couldn't text but demostrated and weren't ignored. Maybe everybody should have texted Tony before the Iraq war.. :cool:

People have 3 million debts and a CCTV up their a**e .. but hey they can text.. in and participate.. ;)

Yeah well I agree with you. Its a piss in the ocean. And I personally don't phone vote or text vote on BB since its surely just a cynical money making manouevre. But I do complain to Ofcom about stuff sometimes, rarely, only twice about BB: Kinga and the Bottle (health & safety) and Jade and gang picking on Shilpa (emotional abuse). That is what I felt, and I don't regret doing it.

If people get shamed into feeling that complaining isn't acceptable, then I worry that might reflect into wider issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree. I am sorry you think my idea of progressing the species is hilarious because I think it is an important consideration of being alive. As I said in my previous post, when I was a kid, television was 'dictated' to me, nowadays, the youth of today are under the impression that they can control the outcome of reality TV. Probably, I am guessing here, that this attitude will carry forward with them into other areas of their life and they will contribute to change in bigger issues.

Realistically, what are any of us here doing to address 'bigger issues'? I think people feel so disempowered and alienated. Any attempt (pretence?) at inclusion and influence is surely a good thing and will change the way our kids think about the future?

I don't think that progression of the species is hilarious - only that attatching such a notion to the issue at hand is an hilarious over-attribution.

As loathe as I am to get too deep here (It's as much worth as sychronised swimming in a puddle). There is no such thing as a passive TV observer and there never has been - It switches on. It switches off.

Like it or love it - TV mirrors society. We live in an often ugly world. Putting a cloth over a mirror does not make us beautiful or better - It just prevents us seeing our ugliness.

So let's see it if it's there. Exposed and available for criticism. If many of us find it titillating then let's expose that as well.

Racism Row? About bloody time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    But I do complain to Ofcom about stuff sometimes, rarely, only twice about BB: Kinga and the Bottle (health & safety)

You are kidding.................right :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really does depend on what people are complaining about. To see if it's justified you do need to be able to see it from their point of view.

If you called the police to report someone breaking into a car and they said, "please don't complain about that sort of thing... if you don't like it, just don't watch" you'd be a bit put out.

There are enough documentaries on about worse things. Is the reality then that telly is the last bastion of democracy ?

Fact of the matter is that people should have complained to Jade and not to BB and OFcom.. Bit like phoning the city and accusing them of having grafitti .. :confused:

Shoot the messenger ...