air sickness

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
Forum Member
bare with me if i carry on a bit :D

i flew for the frst time a few years ago and i was sick there and back. I wasn't feeling that great when i flew and was slightly nervous about flying as it was my first time. I didn't eat that much before i flew either as a result of not feeling all that well.

my problem now is that in the summer i am going to mexico and have a long flight. I am due to stay out there for four weeks and i don't want to be sick on the plane or ill as a consequence while im out there.

Does anybody know of any affective remedies that prevent air sickness or whether last time might have just been nerves and a result of me feeling ill.

would it be a good idea to go on a quick short haul flight to get a bit more used to the whole idea before going in the summer?

thanks for listening, any suggestions welcome -x-

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon last time was a mix of nerves, excitement and not having lined your stomach beforehand.

My mum swears by stugeron, she used to "hide" them in my brothers weetabix before we flew as he got wound up and jumpy tummy resulting in being ill. This stopped the nausea, and keeping the weetabix down meant he didn't get lightheaded and woozy from being hungry. Speak to your pharmacist because some meds may be stronger than others or make you drowsy...plus you may already be taking medication so you'll need something more suitable.

Maybe you could try relaxation tips, take an mp3 so you have something to concentrate on and you could add a relaxation mix specifically for nervous flyers to it incase you feel anxious. Get an inflatable neck pillow so you can close your eyes and get a wee sleep as well.

Make sure you eat something light before you travel. I go for toast and scrambled egg and a cuppa. Just enough to stop the rumbles and light headed feeling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Try taking any travel sickness medication before you fly, it should keep the sickness at bay. If you were feeling ill last time you flew you might have had a bug? If you are very sick on the plane, they may be able to give you medication to stop the sickness.